Why are VAMPIRES the CRAZE??

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Why are VAMPIRES the CRAZE??

Postby JillStar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:42 am

So I'm starting a little debate here (I placed it in my personal blog but that didn't go anywhere).

What is it about vampires that just gets everyone so excited? Books, movies, TV series... it's craziness out there.

I have my ideas but I'm wanting to see what's in everyone else's brain on this...

Last edited by JillStar on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
PaulG
Master Tripper

Postby PaulG » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Jill,
I think the title of this post says it all, it's a craze. The Twilight books are most likely the genesis of this current fashion and it will like all other fashions burn out in a year or so.
We'll come to a "jump the shark" point where someone in their quest for dollars will have vampires pitted against some locale other than Louisiana (maybe Tokyo as Godzilla is retired for now) The Forties had their Westerns and World War II movies. The Fifties saw blockbuster musicals, major motion pictures dealing with ancient Rome and an assortment of biblical epics. The Seventies had a lot of depression era flicks like Great Gatsby, They Shoot Horses Don't They?, The Sting, etc.
They all have their time and they all go away and all eventually come back when another generation discovers the genre.

The nice thing seems to be that most of these crazes are usually prompted by>>>>>> a BOOK!
Keep writing.
...and every now & then I spend my time at rhyme & verse & curse those faults in me...- "Along Comes Mary"- The Association

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."- Steven Wright
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:50 pm

I think the fascination with vampires has gone on for a long time... especially now that we have TV and Movies but even before that they were strong in books.

There are still the typical vampires from long ago... deformed and horrifying. Over the last 10 + years they have moved on into sex symbols. Hell, I own all of the Buffy seasons and am currently watching reruns of Angel... so I do fall a little into the category of those who find something fascinating with the whole struggle within a person over good and bad.

I have not read any of the Twilight books but the girls at work aging between 28 and 53 seem to think they're fabulous. From the small previews of the movie and from what they say... it all sounds like teeny-bopper stuff to me.

I think it's a way for a person to touch the skin of evil without actually "being" evil. They can step into the realm and still be within their bubble of protection and not BE what they are fascinated with.

It does make me want to write... although not about vampires... but about my own good vs bad character images.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 pm

yeah it has gone on for awhile and will continue to do so..why because it combines blood, gothic release, breaking taboos and what else sex. In all it's forms animalistic, romantic, temptation, unrequited. Vampirism the myth was developed because of two things a fear of the plague and illness killing folks young and the society at the time's condemnation of women having premarital and extramarital sex. sex was made evil. Seductive but evil.

Today's vampirism is still tainted but it's more romantic than it's predecessors. Its now about torn apart lovers and obsticles that keep them that way. Which is always key in building tension in any love triangle.

So long as teens and adults require a shot of love and "controlled" sexual seduction, vampirism will be around.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Hiss has it dead-on. sex. That's it. Just sex. You can read into it whatever else you like but it ultimately boils down to taboos and maybe the fact that black is certianly the new black.
FireFlare77

I often sit here, in this chair, writing, oblivious to the passing of time.

It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along.
<--Maroon5
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Oh I definitely agree... it does boil down to sexual desire. For each of us somewhat in a different way.

It's a way of saying "It wasn't me... I was under a spell" and everyone believes you had no choice and therefore you are innocent. The vampire craves the innocent and the innocent crave the vampire (aka that which he or she is not supposed to want... that which is wrong and unclean and ultimately the release of those things we hide from others who judge us).
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

I made a comment on your blog but I'll say it again here. I think it has to do with the idea of living an "immortal life". You can die but you still get to live again. Even before vampires got romancetized in their present form there had to be an appeal to people before Buffy and Angel and even Dracula. I think people want to live forever, if they could, partly because there is such a fear of hell and the torture one would endure there for all eternity. Vampires give people a fantasy about living forever and yet a reminder of the torment of hell. Think about it. One of the basic plot lines of any vampire novel is one vampire trying to release themselves from the torture of their existence. It's almost become a cliche.
Is this my reality or yours?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:18 pm

That's a good point Pen (and Richard Howardson back on my personal blog). There is the desire not to die and vampires give a glimpse into what it could be like to "live again"... although it really isn't living, is it?
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:06 pm

I don't know why there is a vampire craze.
I think they are interesting. I was always interested in the idea that there may be 'real' vampires and such out there but that is just kind a weird idea in my head that not everyone believes in.
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
Lord Jim
Wordtripper

Postby Lord Jim » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:00 am

My wise-guy answer is the world is suddenly populated by moronic, simian-brained, dim-wits. I REALLY detest sexy, adolescent vampires. As for the other reasons named -- human interest in sex, heaven, hell, eternity, etc., that's all fine and good, but humans have ALWAYS had these interests. Why the fascination with vampires NOW? That's the question. I have no idea, then again, can any fad (and I dearly hope that this is a very short-lived fad) really be explained?
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Lord Jim wrote:suddenly populated by moronic, simian-brained, dim-wits.

I would have substituted that for the synonymous "Hormonal teenaged girls", but that's my problem.
FireFlare77

<--Maroon5
Lord Jim
Wordtripper

Postby Lord Jim » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Fireflare77 wrote:
Lord Jim wrote:suddenly populated by moronic, simian-brained, dim-wits.

I would have substituted that for the synonymous "Hormonal teenaged girls", but that's my problem.

If only I had known in my youth that all those girls would have swooned had I merely pretended to want to suck their BLOOD!

BTW, real live forum we got going here, eh?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Oh Jim... they don't want you to do that in real life... they would scream and call you a freak. But if you put it in a book or on the movie screen, that's something entirely different. They can say how sexy the men are and how romantic and what not but as soon as one of them says that her boyfriend is a vampire or likes to pretend he is... wow... that chick is out of the circle. LOL
Lord Jim
Wordtripper

Postby Lord Jim » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:41 am

jillstar wrote:Oh Jim... they don't want you to do that in real life... they would scream and call you a freak. But if you put it in a book or on the movie screen, that's something entirely different. They can say how sexy the men are and how romantic and what not but as soon as one of them says that her boyfriend is a vampire or likes to pretend he is... wow... that chick is out of the circle. LOL

Hmmm. Well, I guess it's back to telling 'em I'm a spy.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm

Wait! You're a spy? Wow dude... that is sooooooooooooooo cool! :wink: :naughtygrin:
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:26 pm

:roll: Or a multi-millionare...
FireFlare77

<--Maroon5
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:46 pm

I was just thinking that in an attempt to make vampires cool and sexy... books and movies are in fact making them less powerful and more cliché.

Perhaps a story of truly evil creatures that are indeed powerful and frightful needs to hit the theatres and the book stands. I know there have been some created in the past but entertainers seem determined to just make money off sex appeal rather than telling a story of horrible unsympathetic creatures who ultimately don’t care about making a romantic connection and more intent on feeding and increasing their numbers.
dee
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby dee » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 pm

In addition to what you all said, I think it's this : http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2265813760/tt0955346

I don't necessarily think the craze is new. As mentioned before, people have always been drawn to Vampires. The Twilight craze is incomprehensible to me, but then again, so is pop music??? The books aren't that well written, so it's an ongoing debate as to what makes them so popular. The story might be good (I couldn't make it past around page 60 of the first one) but the writing doesn't seem to be. My teenage daughter asked me why was I reading that crap and I told her it was just to see what all the fuss was about. I sill don't get it, entirely. My sister who is in her 30's loves the whole series???
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:01 am

dee wrote:I don't necessarily think the craze is new. As mentioned before, people have always been drawn to Vampires. The Twilight craze is incomprehensible to me, but then again, so is pop music??? The books aren't that well written, so it's an ongoing debate as to what makes them so popular. The story might be good (I couldn't make it past around page 60 of the first one) but the writing doesn't seem to be. My teenage daughter asked me why was I reading that crap and I told her it was just to see what all the fuss was about. I sill don't get it, entirely. My sister who is in her 30's loves the whole series???

Oh. That's funny. Everyone in my circle thinks that she's an excellent writer who couldn't come up with a plot to save her life.
FireFlare77

<--Maroon5
Madeline
Wordtripper

Postby Madeline » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:22 am

Fireflare77 wrote:
dee wrote:I don't necessarily think the craze is new. As mentioned before, people have always been drawn to Vampires. The Twilight craze is incomprehensible to me, but then again, so is pop music??? The books aren't that well written, so it's an ongoing debate as to what makes them so popular. The story might be good (I couldn't make it past around page 60 of the first one) but the writing doesn't seem to be. My teenage daughter asked me why was I reading that crap and I told her it was just to see what all the fuss was about. I sill don't get it, entirely. My sister who is in her 30's loves the whole series???

Oh. That's funny. Everyone in my circle thinks that she's an excellent writer who couldn't come up with a plot to save her life.

I'd have to agree with Dee---in my opinion, Stephanie Meyers, like J.K. Rowling, is not a fantastic writer (although I am of the opinion that Rowling is FAR better than Meyers). They are both, however, talented storytellers. Don't get me wrong, though! Saying that they're not amazing writers does not mean that they're terrible authors; I love Harry Potter, and I did enjoy the Twilight books while I was reading them (although afterwards, I kind of sat back and went, "wow...this stuff is kind of ridiculous"). Perhaps "enjoy" isn't quite the right word, because if I had really enjoyed them, I think the feeling would have lingered after I finished the series (and it didn't). In reality, I think it was more that the Twilight books have some sort of strange, compelling quality that makes you KEEP READING. I would find myself awake at 4 AM, trying to convince myself that I had time for one more chapter. But there are certainly aspects of the books that I didn't like that much, especially in retrospect. So, it was an interesting experience, reading them. At the very least, I now understand how so many fangirls could be swooning over Edward and Jacob, even if I myself wasn't swept off my feet.

Eh, just my two cents' worth... :-)

Best wishes,
-Madeline
We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts; we need books, time, and silence. "Thou shalt not" is soon forgotten, but "once upon a time" lasts forever.

-Philip Pullman
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:27 am

Madeline wrote:
Fireflare77 wrote:

I'd have to agree with Dee---in my opinion, Stephanie Meyers, like J.K. Rowling, is not a fantastic writer (although I am of the opinion that Rowling is FAR better than Meyers). They are both, however, talented storytellers. Don't get me wrong, though! Saying that they're not amazing writers does not mean that they're terrible authors; I love Harry Potter, and I did enjoy the Twilight books while I was reading them (although afterwards, I kind of sat back and went, "wow...this stuff is kind of ridiculous"). Perhaps "enjoy" isn't quite the right word, because if I had really enjoyed them, I think the feeling would have lingered after I finished the series (and it didn't). In reality, I think it was more that the Twilight books have some sort of strange, compelling quality that makes you KEEP READING. I would find myself awake at 4 AM, trying to convince myself that I had time for one more chapter. But there are certainly aspects of the books that I didn't like that much, especially in retrospect. So, it was an interesting experience, reading them. At the very least, I now understand how so many fangirls could be swooning over Edward and Jacob, even if I myself wasn't swept off my feet.

Eh, just my two cents' worth... :-)

Best wishes,
-Madeline

What you're describing there is akin to an addiction. That sorta makes you a Meyer-Crack-Whore. But don't worry, plenty of people have been there. It's more like Meyer-co-hol-lisim or Meyer-oner-isim.

But just a quick question: Edward or Jacob?

Because we had this huge arguement in choir last year. Well... I had this huge arguement with half of the soppranos while the altos were learning a new piece and we got off on all these crazy tangent metaphores about how the two guys were like the new and old schools that were around here. I was suprised that I was in the minority as an Edward-hater. It seems so backwards to be Edward-obsessed when the story clearly points out that Bella should have gone for Jacob if she had had two brain cells to rub together. (sigh) But. She didn't. So that started our huge fight. Looking back at that, it kinda seems silly. That we were having a fight over that, that is. Is it too much to ask for another two cents?
FireFlare77

<--Maroon5
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 am

jillstar wrote:I was just thinking that in an attempt to make vampires cool and sexy... books and movies are in fact making them less powerful and more cliché.

Perhaps a story of truly evil creatures that are indeed powerful and frightful needs to hit the theatres and the book stands. I know there have been some created in the past but entertainers seem determined to just make money off sex appeal rather than telling a story of horrible unsympathetic creatures who ultimately don’t care about making a romantic connection and more intent on feeding and increasing their numbers.

I completely agree with you Jill. Unfortunately, as a whole, I think we've lost our ability to truely freighten ourselves. Maybe we've become too self-confident and sure in ourselves that we could get out of any situation, beat any odds, or best any foe, that nothing has the power to scare us any more. When that happened exactly? I don't know.

As a side note: I also think we've lost the ability to write/film a story with a genuine "damsel in distress" character. No longer are women tied up and offered as sacrifical victums needing rescue by a big burly man. Now the woman can get herself out of the jam and will probably have to rescue that big burly man as well. What is this literary/film world coming to?
Is this my reality or yours?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Hey Dee... I think it's been around a very long time... it's just more "in our face" now because as soon as a book is popular, authors go crazy writing. Or as soon as a film hits it big, producers go nuts filming.

I have not read any of the Twilight books nor seen the movie... I'm not interested in it, which some may find odd because I have all of the Buffy season and some of Angel as well. Different story or it's just that I know the characters already.

Madeline... I think when we really get into a story that we like, it's hard to be critical of the author. I like certain writers and will read their books all the time but eventually I stop and think "is this really good or am I just hooked on this type of writing or this character".

Fire... which brings me to your comment about addiction. If we're hooked on a writer or a series of books, it's sometimes hard to notice if the story itself actually sucks!

I have no idea about "Edward or Jacob". Never read it and couldn't tell you which one is which. That being said, the girls at work all liked Edward... no clue why.

Pen... Now I also agree with your statements because there does seem to be a lack of damsels in distress these days. I wonder if it's because women can't write themselves into that roll because they can't see them self as that type of person. Or maybe a female writer just wants to rule the world and can't go about writing herself as a helpless woman. I know my main story has a very strong woman in it... none the less, I really don't want to write her as TOO strong because the "normal" person is never THAT strong. I mean... they write men with the ability to defeat any foe no matter who it is or what circumstance they are in. Really? I mean, come on. Granted, if you're writing a sci-fi or fantasy novel, it's a little different because you can give your characters special powers that are beyond what you and I can do.

If your character, who happens to be female, is beaten or raped in your story and you just can't deal with thinking of that, then it will be very difficult to write your story. But don't "not deal with it" by making it so just before this horrible deed is about to happen she suddenly remembers she has two .357 Magnums in her tiny hip-hugger jeans, whips them out and blows the muthas across the room, emptying both guns into them and then going over and spitting on the dudes while the whole time still maintaining her lovely hair style and looking sexier than ever. I'm sure we've all seen that movie... 1,000 times.

My other thought is that male authors may be afraid to write stories with true damsels in distress for fear that they will be accused of "wishing harm on women" or some other stupid ass thing like that. I can go on and on about how I feel about agendas and how special interest groups make us all afraid to say, write or do anything out of the ordinary (ordinary in the way they see it) because someone, somewhere may sue us or accuse us of horrible things. Here's the deal... people have ideas for stories and all stories have to have something in the plot to overcome. Granted, some people write some pretty unusual things to overcome but isn't it better to write it out than to hold it in and act upon it? I'm just say'n.

So I wonder if people are actually afraid to write about certain subjects because of what others will think of them. I guess that is one of the good reasons to have a pen name... pen! =)

Madeline
Wordtripper

Postby Madeline » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:43 am

Fireflare77 wrote:
What you're describing there is akin to an addiction. That sorta makes you a Meyer-Crack-Whore. But don't worry, plenty of people have been there. It's more like Meyer-co-hol-lisim or Meyer-oner-isim.

But just a quick question: Edward or Jacob?

Because we had this huge arguement in choir last year. Well... I had this huge arguement with half of the soppranos while the altos were learning a new piece and we got off on all these crazy tangent metaphores about how the two guys were like the new and old schools that were around here. I was suprised that I was in the minority as an Edward-hater. It seems so backwards to be Edward-obsessed when the story clearly points out that Bella should have gone for Jacob if she had had two brain cells to rub together. (sigh) But. She didn't. So that started our huge fight. Looking back at that, it kinda seems silly. That we were having a fight over that, that is. Is it too much to ask for another two cents?

AH, I'll have to disagree with you there, because if it were an addiction (i.e. if I had really *liked* the books), wouldn't I have felt some signs of withdrawal once I finished them? I really didn't miss them after they were done, unlike Harry Potter or a dozen other books I could name. I felt no desire to get closer to the books, and had absolutely no daydreams of moving to Forks, WA. I've been addicted to books before, and that wasn't my experience of the Twilight books. What I'm referring to is some odd quality in the story itself that compelled me to keep reading, to find out "what happens next". It's really quite impressive, and I've never felt that pressure so strongly before, even with books that I liked a whole lot more than Twilight. So, I'm not sure what it was, precisely, but I wouldn't call it "addiction".

That said, I'm with you---Jacob all the way. But I'm biased, since I am of the opinion that unrequited love is one of the SADDEST things on earth, and so I'm inevitably going to root for (or at least feel a great deal of empathy for) the underdog in any given love-triangle. However, reading the Midnight Sun excerpt on Stephanie Meyer's website (where she re-writes the first twelve chapters of Twilight from Edward's perspective) really sealed the deal for me. Edward's perception of Bella as something tiny and helpless (he repeatedly refers to her as "kitten-like") was really grating and aggravating. Again, I felt the same, weird compulsion to finish the excerpt, but my inner feminist was steaming for a while after reading that...

Again, just my two cents' worth... :-)

Best wishes,
-Madeline
We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts; we need books, time, and silence. "Thou shalt not" is soon forgotten, but "once upon a time" lasts forever.

-Philip Pullman
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:51 am

Saddens me to see that 5 out of 20 children's books on the NYT bestseller list have to do with vampires. But, they're kids, right? In the adult mass market list, 6 out of 20 are vampire subject--and Charlene ("Sookie Stackhouse") Harris has five of them!

No one ever lost money underestimateing the poor taste of American readers. And, that the Davinci Code scribbler is number 1 on the hardcover list is scary.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”