To Crit or Not To Crit

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

To Crit or Not To Crit

Postby JillStar » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Hello everyone and welcome to the Poetry Writing section of WordTrip. Please feel free to
share your poems in this forum as we would love to read them and get to know you more
through your writing.

I think if may be easier on everyone if we know when a member wants a critique or just
wants to share their poetry.

So....

If you want a critique of your poem, please let us know in your post title. You could make
the title read something like: Name of poem, Crit . Example: Today's Plea

Some members may not want to have a critique... for various reasons. Often it's hard to
accept someone else's opinions of your poem if the poem means more to you than anyone
else could ever possibly understand. It can hurt if you aren't prepared for those who may
not "get it". Enter something like: Name of poem, No Crit

If you are not requesting a crit but would still appreciate one if a member feels inclined to
give one... put in Name of poem, Crit OK

Either way... I look forward to sharing my poems as well as reading yours!
Last edited by JillStar on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:42 pm

Although we have been critiquing poetry here in the poetry section, I would like to encourage poets to join the poetry writing group as it is really the place to receive some great crits.

This section, although is for critiques as well, seems to be a place for getting thoughts and expressions of one's poetry rather than having someone tell you what needs to be changed, etc.

So if you would like to join, please make a post here and we'll get you started!

:D
hiker00704
Wordtripper

Postby hiker00704 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:24 pm

Hi, I have some poems I would like to post but am new to this..I would also like to join the poetry writing group...not that it will be an issue but do all writers retain copyright to his/her material if submitted to this site?

what a great website!

greg
hiker00704@hotmail.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:35 pm

Yes Greg, all members maintain their own copyrights (and if you get something published and need to remove it from the site to get paid we can do that too.) Welcome to WordTrip!

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Dilemmatique
Wordtripper

Postby Dilemmatique » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:50 am

where is the poetry writing group, and could I join it please?
who is the dreamseller?
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:32 am

Dilemmatique wrote:where is the poetry writing group, and could I join it please?

Same. What are the prerequisits?
Last edited by Fireflare77 on Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:36 am

Welcome, Fireflare...You may post your poems simply by clicking on "Writing Poetry" and clicking "New Topic". (See headings at top of this thread.)
Thus you create your own poetry thread. If you wish crit...some do, some don't...enter your title and say crit please or no crit. There's really just one big group of poets right now and you're automatically in it when you post.
You may also write poems for the weekly poetry challenges. They're good exercise and something to get you started. You can crit any of the many poems already posted, make comments or whatever, on any of the Writing Poetry threads.
We'll be looking for your poems. :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 am

Mlou wrote:Welcome, Fireflare...You may post your poems simply by clicking on "Writing Poetry" and clicking "New Topic". (See headings at top of this thread.)
Thus you create your own poetry thread. If you wish crit...some do, some don't...enter your title and say crit please or no crit. There's really just one big group of poets right now and you're automatically in it when you post.
You may also write poems for the weekly poetry challenges. They're good exercise and something to get you started. You can crit any of the many poems already posted, make comments or whatever, on any of the Writing Poetry threads.
We'll be looking for your poems. :)

Gosh, I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like a jerk... :? Thanks for the warm welcome, but I'm quite familiar with the whole process, I'm a top poster on the junior board. But I DO love friendly people.

Anyway, so after I post a poem, I'm automaticaly added to a group? Cool. I've got a finished poem about roses upstairs and another unfinished one entitled "The Reaper's Ballad" but neither of those seem right to get started around here. That's why I'm working on a little suprise one for you guys ;) . What I will be needing help with, however, are the rec room equivalants of WTJ- the hanging out sections and whatnot. I have a feeling I'll be spending a little too much time there ;) .

Regards,
Flare
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:09 am

That's great. As for "officially" being added to the poetry group, Jill will take care of that when she checks in. At this season, everyone is so busy elsewhere that things are very slow here. Nobody has time to hang out...jobs, school, families, rat race. :) So just post as you like.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:30 am

Good morning Fireflare...

I have added you to the Poetry Write Group #1. We have been very slow lately, so crits may not come very fast for a few weeks. I definitely encourage you to participate in the poetry challenges! Not everything here on Wordtrip is done the same as on Wordtrip Jr. but for the most part, it's quite similar.

Have fun!
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Hey Spencer...
Make sure to eventually post "The Reaper's Ballad" because when you told me about it...I knew I had to read it. :D
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:52 pm

Alright Elle, I will. But I can't 2nite, I haven't finished it yet... Also, my mom is nagging at me to get off. When she get's out of the shower to find me still stalking people on the intern- I mean, surfing wordtirp, she'll kill me :) .

Also, you mentioned them not being exactaly alike, but what specificaly is different?
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Wait I'm confused..What isnt exactly alike again? Sorry my brain is gone..

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:45 am

*Elle* wrote:Wait I'm confused..What isnt exactly alike again? Sorry my brain is gone..

No, sorry. That one was directed at Jill. Your bain is working just fine. I'm having a "this is your brain. This is your brain on wordtrip" moment myself. :)
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Oh ok...cool! :) But there is something wrong with my brain...:)

Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Then you need to up your wordtrip 'scription.
FireFlare77

I often sit here, in this chair, writing, oblivious to the passing of time.

It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along.
<--Maroon5

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”