Dawn of Night

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Tupwen
Master Tripper

Dawn of Night

Postby Tupwen » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:50 am

Dawn of Night
By Paul S. Kemp

Book Two in the Erevis Cale Trilogy

I can't believe I'm being forced to wait until next November to finish reading the trilogy. Ahhhh! It’s going to drive me nuts— well, crazier than I already am. (Like it wasn’t enough that I’m unable to wait until the next book in The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series to come out, now I have to wait for book three in this trilogy as well…) Anyway, on with the review.

PLOT: Cale, Riven, Magadon and Jak continue their search and pursuit for the slaadi. As they do so, their adventures lead them through a variety of places, but they also begin to uncover information about the slaadi’s master, the Sojourner, and his plan that is far more deadly than that of the late wizard they had been tracking. [Unless you’ve read book one, that probably isn’t the best plot description… oh well.]

The characters continue to fascinate me, Riven and Cale especially. While the ending with Riven wasn’t completely a surprise, I’m very impatient for the next book to find out all the whys of things that have happened in this on. (Thinking about it, Riven— in a few ways— reminds me of Dinobot… hmm… enough said… I wonder if he’ll end up the same way?) Dawn of Night was as good as the first book, Twilight Falling and I finished it within two days (because of time restraints. Given the chance, I would have finished it in one straight reading). I really enjoyed it.

It’s hard to say a lot about this book if you haven’t read Twilight Falling because it would make no sense. But I think this is an excellent second chapter in the trilogy, and I eagerly (and very impatiently) await the final installment of Midnight’s Mask in November 2005.

9/10 scimitars.

~Tupwen
Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever. ~Allen Curtis

Write now. Tomorrow never comes.

Return to “Book Reviews”