CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I completely forgot to come back and read it and give you more comprehensive feedback. Next time kick me or something to remind me.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I get the distinct impression I've lost the ability, if I ever had it, to write clear and concise prose. Take my 750 words for the day below as an example (admittedly these are brain dump sort of writing sessions so it's not like this is edited for brevity, or edited for anything at all really, but it should at least be indicative of the trend):

Samantha walked unsteadily down the sidewalk begrudging the heels she was wearing marginally more than the skirt that was intended to be short enough to be alluring but had turned out to be primarily short enough to let her catch a nice chill to go with the overworked ankles. According to her friends Sam was at the point in her life where she should be taking these measures to ensure she wasn’t left a spinster. Every evening like this she encountered was enforcing her perception that if this was what it took to avoid spinsterhood it was simply not worth it. Sam was also more than a little suspicious that the ripe old age of twenty-nine wasn’t nearly the “Custer’s Last Stand” of her romantic endeavors it had been made out to be. These thoughts rolled around her head, not for the first or last time, as she paid careful attention to the cracks and creases in the sidewalks. There was only a block or so of the concerted effort required before she reached the subway system and could ride most of the rest of the way back to her apartment.

An almost stereotypical, or perhaps mythological, hot shower relaxed Samantha enough to put the evening behind her. As she sat sideways on her sofa with a book in hand and a cup of tea on the table beside her she was finding it hard to either argue with her friends that she might be headed to a life of being a spinster or find any fault with that as a desirable option at any rate. The lights were dimmed and she eventually fell asleep with the book slipping from her hand onto her chest where it lay the rest of the night as she slept as soundly as any could.

Morning drifted into the window and across her face and Sam woke to the lack of a smell of coffee or eggs or anything. It was rarely when she was falling asleep that she felt lonely. Going to sleep alone seemed natural, relaxing, completing. Waking alone wasn’t as comforting she found. In the back of her mind she wondered if she was hoping for a companion to wake to, or simply a nice butler or cook. While the evening begged for silence and reverie. Mornings mocked her with silence when she thought it might be nice to wake to an already brewed pot of coffee or mostly finished meal. Before a day spent at a keyboard her subconscious longed for somebody to listen to the thoughts that occurred to her overnight. Instead of having somebody to care for her and listen to her she had, what? The blank page was all she could come up with.

With a grudge she moved from the sofa, putting a book mark into her previous evenings reading material and shuffling toward the kitchen. There was a fantastic smooth smell of the coffee beans as she opened the bag, and the smell with a bit more bite as she brought it close to sniff. The stovetop coffee pot was sitting clean where she had left it the day before and after grinding the beans she put it on the stove with the lid up. As nobody else was cooking for her she put a cheap refrigerated bagel into the toaster and smeared it with cream cheese before the coffee started burbling out of the top of the pot prompting her to close the lid and turn off the burner.

After the caffeine started to hit her she wondered if she would still have the ability, or the drive, to put words to page if there had been somebody to alleviate that welling up of words she hadn’t been able to release all morning. Was the drive to write the same on that made old married couples talk to each other of morning coffee or an evening glass of wine? She had few remaining delusions that she would be the next best selling novelist, and even fewer that she might be the next Harper Lee, but she wasn’t sure if risking her writing was something she should be doing. The biological, and emotional, urge were certainly there, and not to be ignored without effort or consideration. But, as she had been putting her world in this order for the last six or seven years what sort of contingency plan did she have should her unwillingness to overcome the biological imperative negate all those plans and put at risk that the she would leave genetic instead of intellectual or literary material for another generation.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 am

In the last 349 days on 750words.com I've managed to get my words in 347 of them. I had a streak of 165-ish that got broken last summer when I took munchkin #2 to a Braves game that ended late. I had a streak of 181 that ended Friday night because I had a looong day at work and then a looong evening at a kid's thing and got home and totally spaced on getting my words in.

I'm still not exactly sure it's doing much good. For the most part it's serving as a journal still, or at least an outlet to rant and rave and vent on the day. I keep telling myself that I could simply structure it as three areas that get 250 words each a day (Journal, Blog/Essay, Fiction) and that by the end of a year I'd have a full novel at least, but alas it never seems to happen that way. I still think it is serving me well for keeping my "word" muscle limber, and use that relatively often just to put together pieces for work and for organizing my thoughts on a variety of subjects.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:23 pm

I made it to the one year mark on 750 and it went to crap. Well, mostly my writing habit went to crap when I got sick a couple weeks ago and dropped several days in a row in favor of hanging out with my porcelain best friend, but I've not "picked it back up" just yet either. That will have to change I expect.

timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Interesting site. Maybe a little too disciplined for me. Tough enough just to log into Write 1 Sub ! each month. What Ilove, though, is a challenge.

First challenge came this morning when the book page editor of our regional newspaper begged me to fill a hole with a book review. I knocked out a 250-word review in 20 minutes and sent it off.

Second challenge came in the afternoon mail with photos of writer/artist Holling Clancy Holling's wife's illustrations. That took an hour to fill out her biography for my blog--now ranking second (after Wikipedia) when you Google his name.

Gimme a good hard deadline and let me run with it!
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

I maybe should mention that I'm, hypothetically, doing a little writing over at www.madartlab.com So far it's just my intro post and a dragon puppet post... but I'm supposed to be doing more.

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

I started a new novel, but as you're aware, my own life is so screwed up it's a wonder I get anything done at all.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

A new one...premise? Got some messed up stuff going on too but nothing for public boards. It's amazing how consistently published authors get work done.

Been watching a lot of biographies on authors and between the turmoil and addiction and the multiple affairs its amazing that the completed a chapter!
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”