Jill's Writing Moments

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Jill's Writing Moments

Postby JillStar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 pm

I either retired or deleted my old writing blog so I'm starting over. 8)

Most of my writing has been in the poetry field and I started a writing blog where I post some of those poems. Currently I'm working on an epic saga... a compilation of poems to form a story. It started out simple enough... just a poem... that then went on into a more detailed pile of poems... lol!

The epic is not posted on the website... I'm working on that for publication. I also found a site that does something similar to nanowrimo but you write short stories, one per week, and then submit it to a magazine. Or you write one per month and submit it... no matter what. I just joined so am not sure how serious I'll get into that considering I'm trying to finish this epic, which is more important to me.

It's been an interesting couple of years... writing and then not writing and then writing again. Here is the blog address if anyone is interested. I may post some of those things here as well. http://jkpen.blogspot.com

Happy writing everyone! I wish we could get ourselves motivated again to get this site hopping... seems we're all off doing our own things elsewhere on the web. :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 pm

I've put over 200K words on a page somewhere in the last year or so... but nothing usable (outside of a few random essays and such). I think I've wanted my writing to be too audience specific for too many years and because of that I never write in any one place, or for any one purpose, long enough to let anything gel.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:11 pm

I think part of my issue is that I get distracted with novel writing... it's too involved and complex and I start thinking of too many other things. So... with this writing format, I can write a poem and then write the next part as another poem. I don't have to concentrate so hard on the details (what color is the sky and how many blades of grass were stepped on). :)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:29 pm

I wrote more in my epic and wrote some more poems... but I have a bit on my mind... nothing I can really pin point exactly nor anything I would want to share in an open forum right now. Sometimes there are just too many thoughts coming at me at once... so much so that I just don't know what it is I'm actually thinking. :-P
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Wrote this poem based on the picture above... sometimes it's nice to have a prompt that spurs on a poem.

Mutuality

Why have you come?
To see you once more.
For what purpose?
To remember how you once were.

Why do you care?
I miss you.
For how long?
Forever.

Why do you do this?
To be forgiven for all I did to you.
Why should I care?
To be forgiven for all you did to me.

Written 3/4/2012
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Very nice, Jill. Parallellism is a solid device that works here.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks Timber!!
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

This happens every time I start reading a book... my writing stops. Apparently I am incapable of doing both at the same time. And here I thought I was a multi-tasker.

I am writing poetry but that has slowed... it will pick up again once I'm done with this damn book (http://jkpen.blogspot.com). Just finished reading Game of Thrones and on book two Clash of Kings. I'm also reading a book on day trading... lol... :)
JillStar
Moderator+

Re: Jill's Writing Moments

Postby JillStar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Our NaMaWriMo helped recharge my poetry writing... gonna keep it up!
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:57 pm

Why is it some days seem so long and obnoxious? I thought about writing today and the idea seemed so incredibly lame.

I thought about posting another prompt but then thought 'why bother', no one every comes here any more. I thought about making dinner and thought 'why bother', it's just going to be 'wasted' later anyway. I thought about going for a walk and thought 'why bother', I'll just end up back here with just as little as when I started. I thought about calling someone just to say hi and thought 'why bother', they never answer. I thought about trying to reconnect with a friend nearby and thought 'why bother', she doesn't care to work on this friendship any way. I thought about cleaning the house and though 'why bother', it will be messy again tomorrow.

So then I thought about re-reading what I just typed and realized I actually did write something. It might not be the best something but it is something.
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 am

Don't worry about the "why bother" moments, Jill. Sometimes the story just pops out. Was reading the NY Times book reviews and saw "Lucky Strikes" by Louis Bayard, a kid's book. Thought, what a wonderful premise: kid's parents are gone so the girl takes in a vagabond as surrogate Daddy so she and siblings can avoid foster care. I just have to do something with that idea.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”