QUERIES GOING OUT!!!!!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

CZ75
Master Tripper

QUERIES GOING OUT!!!!!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!

Postby CZ75 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:26 am

The masterpiece is not 100% done, but today I send my first query via e-mail. By the end of the week, I will send probably 10 more via US mail. By the end of next week, (IF Herman's Guide comes out) I will send probably 30 more. I am, basically and for the most part, FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, yes, I haved decided (thank you, XCHECK) NOT to go with my current agent. Obviously, or else I wouldn't be sending out queries. Gotta run! Wish me luck. (That will be pointless, but what the hell?)
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:06 am

Very cool! Let us know what you hear back.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:34 am

jillstar wrote:Very cool! Let us know what you hear back.

Oh, I KNOW exactly what I'll hear back. I'll find an agent in about 30 seconds, and then he'll spend the next five years trying to sell my book, all the time wondering why it won't sell. Such is life, but thanks for the encouragement.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 am

good luck, cz.
have a little hope, will ya? ;)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:17 am

xcheck24 wrote:good luck, cz.
have a little hope, will ya? ;)

I'm trying, I'm trying. The cozy market is easier than the thriller market, so that's encouraging. Thanks again.
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:01 pm

Good luck!
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks much. I know I'll need it.
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:33 pm

Okay, sent out 11 (I think) e-mail queries. Got back 2 replies already. One agent wants my bio, and info on my first book sales. 2nd agent wants all that plus 3 chaps and a synopsis. Even after 11 nightmarish years, this is still exciting, I must admit.
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:47 pm

Two more want a peek. One said no. And I haven't had to pay for stamps!
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 pm

very very cool :)
Behind the Press

CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:56 pm

xcheck24 wrote:very very cool :)

Thank you. I shall keep you posted.
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Somebody else wants it. Losing track here -- 4 want it and 2 rejections to this point, I think. Soon, agents will be drawing knives and guns, fighting over this literary masterpiece.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:49 pm

it's awesome how people want to read it, CZ
a lot of us have trouble even getting a response!
Behind the Press

CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:43 pm

I am remarkably good at hooking agents. Agents who never sell the book. Oh well.
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 pm

Sounds like the queries are going well. That is quite an impressive positive return rate.
Good luck going forward.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:34 pm

In all honesty, I too am a bit surprised by the positive response rate. I think once I sent out 10 queries and had 4 ask for the ms, but I'm not positive about that. My biggest hope in this endeavor comes from the fact that the cozy market is an easier sell than the thriller market. We shall see.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:36 pm

what's the "cozy market."
not sure if i'm familiar with the term.
Behind the Press

CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

xcheck24 wrote:what's the "cozy market."
not sure if i'm familiar with the term.

Think Agatha Christie. Cozy mysteries involve atmosphere more than bloodshed. No sex and violence in a cozy. The sleuth is almost always an amateur, and setting is everything. I'm sure a computer genius can post a few covers here and you'd know instantly.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”