Hello from England!

A place to introduce yourself.

Moderators: JillStar, Metaphor Makers

coolmagic

Hello from England!

Postby coolmagic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:30 pm

Hello everyone. I joined last month, but have been too busy to join in until now. My name is Chris, I'm 41 and I live in Plymouth, UK. I'm a part time close up magician (hence the 'Coolmagic' name), I work full time as a manager, and I've decided to write the book I've been talking about since I was 14!!!!!!!!!
I love horror stories, and my favourite authors are James Herbert and Shaun Hutson. I used to only read horror, but have started to branch out in my old age and enjoy all sorts of reading. I recently discovered Bill Bryson and I love his books.
I've had a real taste of life, and have had a very colourful career. I've been a chef in the Royal Navy, a police dog handler, a security guard, council dog warden (civic animal control officer for our pals across the pond :D ), dog trainer and pet behaviourist. I've also been a local government enforcement officer, manager of 2 tool hire shops, manager of a portable accommodation business and am now a manager for a portable toilet company! You could say I'm flushed with success, but my career is going down the pan :D.
I love performing close up magic, and have worked for a few famous people. I work mainly in the corporate market, and also perform at trade shows.
I had a few items published, mainly adult short fiction stories. I'm happy to continue with these and hone my writing skills, but I want to complete my book.
Looking forward to learning from the experienced members, and hopefully contributing aswell. Thanks for taking the time to read about me.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:37 pm

Welcome! I was fortunate enough to live in Thetford for about 18 months a few years back!

Look around, dig in, join in, have fun! Lots to inspire and distract here!
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi, Chris...nice to have you aboard. My husband could have used you on his ship when he was in the navy. They had mostly southern cooks and he got a lot more grits, etc. than he was happy with. :-D Enjoy WT and start posting.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
wtrbby
Wordtripper

Postby wtrbby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:13 pm

Welcome, Chris! You will love it here - everyone is just fantastic. Your background is certainly diverse - lots of material to pull from for your writing. Can't wait to see some of it soon!

Theresa
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 pm

Welcome to WT... it's a fun place to be. :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
coolmagic

Postby coolmagic » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I've got a few ideas running through my head. I just need to settle on one and start scribbling!! Don't know when I'm gonna get round to it as this site is HUGE. Loads to look at and lots of good advice. I'm just gonna dive in and have a trawl around ;-)
Macbren
Wordtripper

Postby Macbren » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 am

Welcome, Chris, it's nice to have you here. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your writing. This is a great place! :)
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

Cicero
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:30 am

Welcome coolmagic!!!!!!

It sounds like you've got a lot of life experiences to pull from in your writing. Plenty of furtile ground for stories ideas....I might actually be getting a few myself.....
Is this my reality or yours?
tigerlily
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby tigerlily » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Welcome, welcome! Magic fascinates me, but I'm afraid I'll never get the hang of it. It's hopeless if I can't even shuffle cards, isn't it?

But I love to write, and it feels so homey here. People are so friendly and appreciative (I write mildly horrible poetry and fiction with elements of the paranormal and a little humor thrown in), it's the place to be for encouragement and constructive criticism. I hope you find it to be so.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
coolmagic

Postby coolmagic » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:45 pm

Well, this is certainly a friendly place! Thanks for the positive thoughts and encouragement. Any advice on the best place to start on WT? I've been delving around, in between researching some items for my book, so haven't spent a lot of time here yet. It's very encouraging to find such a nice bunch of like minded souls. Thanks in advance, Chris
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:48 pm

Generally, I just click on View Posts Since Last Visit and start reading till I hit something interesting. It never takes long to find something to write about, or a comment to respond to. :)
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue May 09, 2006 1:35 pm

Where'd he go?! :dunno:

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue May 09, 2006 1:37 pm

Happens a lot--people come on, post a few times, then disappear.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Thu May 11, 2006 9:42 pm

What do you mean Mudge? Nobody ever disappears, they fade away...
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri May 12, 2006 7:24 am

Well, and then there's Cheese, who disappears . . . then, just when you think it's safe to back on Wordtrip . . . da dum . . . da dum . . . dumdumdumdum dumdumdumdum . . . :-D
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Fri May 12, 2006 6:51 pm

:-D Can't stay way from WT for too long, you can try, but it pulls you right back in!

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri May 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Well, thank goodness for that!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri May 12, 2006 10:34 pm

ok guys did you scare him off? Look we horror nuts need our cohorts...the dark and twisted is a lonely road... 8)
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Sat May 13, 2006 9:27 am

Hiss? Is that you? My favorite horror writer! Good to hear from you again! I hope your basement repairs are coming around ok...
When you travel down that dark and twisted road, remember to stick to the road and stay off the moors...

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 14, 2006 11:11 pm

"Yes, David"

(for those of you who do not know this...David was from American Werewolf in London and he was warned to stick to the road and stay off the moores)
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
bard_of_life
Wordtripper

Postby bard_of_life » Mon May 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Well it just so happens that I am 14 and probably am talking about writing the same book. Lol. I have no idea what it's about, but I know that it's somewhere up in my head. Well anyway, now that I've done my bragging... can I see a magic trick?
Life is a parchment that no matter how many times you blot ink on it, you can't bring yourself to crumple it.
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am

Just when I was going to welcome him...(I know, a bit behind on things here...) Oh well...hopefully he'll come back. 8)
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~
coolmagic

Postby coolmagic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Sorry folks!! I've had a manic few weeks and didn't have time to log in. My wife had corrective laser surgery on her eyes, My stepdaughter had her appendix out and I've been busy at work. Also had a few magic shows to do and generally didn't know my backside from my elbow!!!!!! Just popped back in, thought I'd better let you know that I'm ok and gonna have a quick browse around the site. Hope you're all well and that the Brits are enjoying the sun. Been trying to make the most of it myself as we don't get a lot of it here.
As far as writing is concerned, i've just written my first script for a friend of mine who has a digital media business. He's making his own promo dvd, and I said I'd do it as a favour as (a) I wanted to try it and (b) he's been good to me. Did 2 drafts and he's very impressed!! He said he'd credit me on the dvd, so it may bring more work my way. I enjoyed it, but really want to get my teeth into my novel.
I've also set up my writing den, and I can't wait to start using it.

Cheers

Chris :D
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Sorry for the wild time you've been having. It goes like that, doesn't it? Everything happens at once. Hope you can dig in now and get some real writing done.

coolmagic

Postby coolmagic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks Mlou. I'm gonna make Saturdays my writing day. This is week one, day one take 2 !!!!!!!!

Return to “Member Introductions”