...on and on we stand alone... // Dreamcatcher's Journal

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:56 pm

Neat how others can inspire us... glad to see you're writing again. Me? Well... I'm still on a writing vacation. :-P
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:10 pm

*chuckles*

I've never been able to take a complete break from my writing - I suppose I can attribute that to always having more than one work-in-progress going at once. Right now I have The Way Of All Things and Trinity bubbling away, along with finalising my planning for NaNo.

Speaking of NaNo, I finally have a concrete plot worked out. I bought myself my first deck of Tarot cards on the weekend, after years of wanting a set but never being allowed to own them. My parents seem to think that the Tarot is evil, for some strange reason, along with Wicca. *shakes head in dismay* A friend of mine uses her deck to plot her stories, and I found a thirteen-card spread at the NaNoWriMo forums that has been of use to me. The first card I drew from my pack is meant to describe the plot, and the card I drew was the Death card - which signifies transformation and change. And that's one of the themes of my NaNovel. Rather spooky if I do say so myself!

I'm considering rejoining my writing group, though first I think I'm going to need to go through all the posts that have been made in my absence. I haven't exactly been fulfilling my role as a reader. In fact, I think I'm going to do that now...
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:51 am

I now have something concrete to work towards in regards to my novel.

One of the television networks here in Australia, ABC, is holding its inaugural novel writing competition this year - the ABC Writer's Award. The prize is a A$10,000 advance - the winner also gets a publishing contract with ABC Books, and has their manuscript published as a novel and as an audiobook, along with having it read on air (ABC also manages 60 radio stations nationwide - the largest radio network in Australia).

But there's just one problem with entering this year - entries close at 6 pm on September 26th. There is no way in the world that I can edit and rewrite almost 140,000 words down to under 120,000, write a one-page synopsis and print out both documents, and have my entry sent off to Sydney in the next month. Especially when the competition itself has been open for almost a month, and I only just found out about it an hour ago.

It's something to work toward for next year, though. NaNo aside, that can be my main writing project for the next twelve months. *shrug* Maybe if my NaNovel turns out nicely enough, I can enter that one instead...

Yeah. We'll see which one gets finished first.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:34 am

My writing is coming along nicely - I've got 24,353 words written for Trinity, my Harry Potter fan fiction story, and I'm slowly tweaking The Way Of All Things (although editing my novel is currently taking a back seat to Trinity).

I also have an idea for another project that I probably won't be able to start writing for another six years at the very least - I'm hoping to go to university in England, so my intention is to write a novel based on my university experience. However, as I won't be able to go until the middle of 2008 at the very earliest (I need to redo my final two years of high school first, so that I can get the marks I need), all I can really do for the time being is create my characters, make up a imaginary university, and trawl the NaNo boards for ideas - if I make it over there, I plan on keeping a journal chronicling the three years I'll be in England. I'm planning to study English and creative writing, as I want to be a teacher - I'll do my Dip.Ed (diploma of education) when I get back to Australia, if I still want to be a teacher by that point.

Not to mention that I finally bought myself a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy when I was in Sydney on Tuesday (and promptly forgot where I put it as soon as I got home - it's in my room somewhere). I still haven't seen the movie, but when it comes out on DVD I fully intend to rent it out.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:27 am

Tried to sign up for NaNoWriMo again (I hate my username, so I'm starting afresh - probably something along the lines of __chaostheory, which is the username for my NaNo livejournal), and I couldn't :evil: Seems one of their servers got fried. So I will try again tonight.

NaNoWriMo will be interesting this year, though. I'm going camping during November, so I basically have to figure out how many pages of my handwriting is equivalent to 1700 words. I am not even going to consider taking my laptop with me, because my parents would kill me if it got stolen. Depending on how far into NaNoWriMo I've gotten before I have to leave, I plan on printing out my novel and taking it with me so that I can work on it at night. I've got a little notebook that I can write the draft in that I was planning to take with me, anyway. I might even consider letting my friends read my novel as I write...
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 pm

I won't be signing up for NaNoWriMo this time around... I'm just going to stick with WT's Writing Week this time (which is basically the full week prior to NaNo).

I'm sure you'll put out some great words this year Dream! Keep us up to date!
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 am

Signups are officially open, and I've signed up as Mistress Aeryn. I also figured out the rough equivalent of the daily 'minimum' word count in my handwriting - seven pages. A DAY. I can feel my hand cramping up already...
Slán go fóill,

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:23 pm

Hey, DC, are you gonna go WT's week challenge, too?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:44 pm

Dreamcatcher wrote:I can feel my hand cramping up already...

MEDIC! :-D
Is this my reality or yours?
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:29 am

Anblick wrote:Hey, DC, are you gonna go WT's week challenge, too?

I'll consider it. If I do, I'll go for the Short Story level, but I'll have to see how busy I am at the end of this month.
Slán go fóill,

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Cool! Do both the monthly and WTNWW at the same time! The WTNWW thread will be limited to words written for the WTNWW challenge, but both those and other story words count towards the month total as a whole...
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:46 am

I finally got my plot for NaNoWriMo written out last night, and it is officially the strangest thing I have ever cooked up. And I've written some very strange things in my time. But everyone who's seen it thinks it's great, so I must be onto a good thing with it. This will give me something concrete to work from, so that I don't draw a blank come November second (like I did in 2003). It's the result of four-and-a-half months of thinking and plotting. NaNo is also an excuse for me to resurrect the idea for a story I was writing earlier this year, and ended up not being able to finish. So here goes...

Taylor has it all - a dream career as a musician, a family, and the dream life in New York City. That all comes crashing down one night in 2005, during his band's summer tour, and he finds himself standing at the gates of Heaven. The gatekeeper directs him to a door just off of the gates, and sitting at a row of tables in the room beyond the door is a group of robed men - the Twelve Apostles. He is told that the reason he has been 'snatched' from Earth so suddenly is that he has fulfilled his purpose in life - that purpose being to help others, which he has done through his music. The Apostles, seeing how distressed he is at having his life cut so suddenly short, give him a choice - he can pass through the gates into Heaven itself, or he can return to Earth. He tells them that something he had always wondered about was how his life might have turned out differently if he hadn't chosen to become a musician, and the Apostles grant him his wish - but with a slight twist.

...yeah. And that's just the prologue! Strange, no?

Anyway, onto the story proper. We meet the Wyatt family, in particular Alex and his twin Ainslie. Unbeknownst to Alex, he is the exact double of our friend Taylor, and has all his life been having 'visions' of his double's life, mostly in the form of dreams. In the middle of July 2005, the visions suddenly stop, with absolutely no explanation for their disappearance whatsoever. Ainslie, who is the only living person aside from Alex who knows of her twin's visions, has a theory that she shares with her brother, that theory being that Alex's double has died, and she shows him an article she found on the Internet to back it up. The two of them, having no real obligations to tie them down, decide to take a chance, and they head off to America to track down any information they can about Alex's double.

August rolls around, and in Los Angeles they come across Izzy. Izzy is particularly drawn to Alex, telling him that before she was born, her mother had a baby, a boy, that was stillborn - Alex, she says, is the exact age her brother would have been had he lived. They tell her of their 'quest', right down to the visions, and she too joins them on their journey. The three of them jump in Izzy's truck and go on a road trip across the continental United States. For some unknown reason, they decide to stop for a few days in the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Here is where it all gets very interesting indeed.

Natalie, Taylor's widow, has moved with her son and daughter to her husband's hometown in order to be closer to her in-laws. She's in the park one day, walking around in an effort to clear her head, when she spots Alex, Ainslie and Izzy. Thinking that her husband is back from the dead, she bolts over - which of course is when she realises that Alex is not her husband, mostly because Alex speaks with a completely different accent. As she turns to walk away, Ainslie spots her and waves her over, asks who she is and all that - and the whole story comes tumbling out, in between tears and apologies for telling them her story when she doesn't even know them. Natalie eventually explains that she thought that Alex was her husband, who had died a month earlier during a concert. That is when Alex and Ainslie realise that Natalie is the wife of Alex's double, the 'missing link' so to speak. Alex tells Natalie of his visions, and Natalie in turn tells Alex that her husband had been having visions of Alex's life. It soon dawns on them both that they were meant to meet, and Alex asks Natalie if he can see her again, just as a friend. She agrees, and they start 'hanging out'.

A couple of months pass. It's now November. Alex and Ainslie have returned home, and Alex picks up the courage to ask Natalie if she would like to take their friendship to the next step - a long-distance relationship. She tells him that she'll think about it - she wants to see if she can get through the rest of the year first, in particular her first Christmas without her husband since they (she and her husband, not she and Alex) met. Christmas and the New Year come and go, and Natalie tells Alex that she is ready for another relationship - even if Alex does remind her a little too much of her husband. There's a bit of a catch, however - Alex has to return to the USA and meet not only Natalie's family, but also her in-laws. Cue the fun and games. :twisted:

Flash forward six months, to the summer of 2006. Alex has taken the final step and has moved to America, so that he doesn't have to keep spending money on airline tickets every couple of months. The one-year anniversary of Taylor's death has arrived, and Alex accompanies Natalie to the cemetery. He's head over heels in love with Natalie, and wants to ask her to marry him, but knows that today isn't the day to pop the question - of course, Natalie has other ideas in mind. She tells him that she knows what Alex wants to ask her, and to just hurry up and ask her already. He waits until they've left the cemetery, and then he pops the question, to which she says yes.

Cue the epilogue. Ten years later, Alex and Natalie are happily married and living in New York City with Natalie's children from her previous marriage, along with their own children - twin girls and a boy. The oldest child, Natalie's son Ezra, decides he wants to know how Alex and his mother really met. He doesn't want the 'watered-down' version, he wants the whole story from start to finish. And so they tell him.

--

It feels good to finally get that written down. I don't know why I didn't do it earlier! And I wasn't smoking anything when I cooked that up, I swear. It's just the way my mind works. And I have taken on enough dares to keep the story going - I just need to find some song lyrics to use in an effort to pad out the word count.

I won't be putting my NaNo up anywhere public until December at the earliest - I'm going to be posting the whole thing chapter-by-chapter in my NaNo livejournal, and if I get a positive reaction from it there I'll unveil it to the world. I'll post a link to the public version if and when I get it online.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:43 am

I'm slowly counting down until NaNo - it's the thirtieth here, so there's a bit less than 36 hours until I can start writing. Trinity is safely tucked away with five chapters completed, ready for me to begin work on it again in December, and I reckon I can get up to chapter 14 done on Never To Leave Me - it's pretty much just copying and pasting from the original manuscript, so piece of cake. After that, the hard work begins. Lord save me...

I'm feeling pretty confident about NaNo this year. Bring it on...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:56 am

*facepalm*

I can't write 50K for the idea I had for my NaNo. And I know it's utterly against the rules, but I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks adding 50,000 words to Never To Leave Me. Besides, I have always considered NaNoWriMo to be about getting 50K written in 30 days, no matter how you do it.

I have some incentive to get 50K written in the next couple of weeks - one of my friends is coming to Sydney from Brisbane next month sometime, and we’re working on meeting up. I think she’s coming to NSW around the time of the release of the fourth Harry Potter movie in Australia (December first – bastards, making us Aussies wait TWO MORE WEEKS than the rest of the world *shakes fist at TPTB*), and she’s wholly intent on dressing up. And that’s given me an idea.

If I can make it to Sydney at the beginning of December, and I can get a costume ready in time, I’m planning on dressing up as a Hogwarts student. I even have the basics of the Hogwarts uniform as seen in the movies – white blouse, black skirt (yes I know the skirts in the movies are grey, stfu) and black shoes. I’m going to buy some grey knee-high socks for an ‘authentic’ look, and I’m going to make a set of robes (because I doubt I can find any in my size). I’ll either buy or make a wand. I may need to buy a tie as well, depending on the ones my father has – I’m thinking of going as either a Ravenclaw or Slytherin student. Gryffindor is too obvious, and I don’t look good in yellow, so Hufflepuff’s out. A witch’s hat might also be a really good idea.

I’ve done this kind of thing before – I dressed up as a witch when I was twelve for a cousin’s birthday party, and I made a really pathetic attempt as dressing up as Hermione Granger for my friend Kristen’s 18th. And I mean really pathetic – my witch’s hat was a raffia sombrero painted black, my wand was a painted length of pipe…you get the general idea. I want to make a decent effort this time. And this will more than make up for all the Halloweens I’ve been forced to miss over the years.

My parents think I’m absolutely insane, purely because of my age. But if I’m insane, then so is my friend, because she’s 18 months older than me. Guess what? I don’t care what they think. I’m a Hanson fan – I’m already insane. A certain amount of insanity is required of those of us who choose to go down that path.

So here’s what I need to do:

* Get 50K written before November 30 (I have a few tricks left up my sleeve)
* Either buy or make a magic wand (a length of wooden dowel should do the trick – drench it with a bit of woodstain, paint on a bit of silver or gold…)
* Make a set of robes – find a pattern online and buy some black cotton or linen cloth
* Decide whether I’m going as a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin, and make an iron-on badge to reflect that – get the graphic from the Lexicon
* Buy a pair of grey knee-high socks and a black witch’s hat
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 am

So NaNo didn't exactly go to plan. Ah well - maybe next year.

My New Year's Writing Resolutions

1. Finish Trinity.
1a. If I get Trinity finished, start rewriting as an original fiction novel. It's currently a Harry Potter fan fiction.
2. Get started on sequel for Trinity (currently titled A Year's Worth Of Yesterdays).
3. Get at least halfway on both The Way Of All Things and Never To Leave Me.
4. Make a decent start on Sing For The Moment.
5. Keep building my writing portfolio.

I feel pretty confident about 1 and 5 - I'm more than a third of the way through Trinity, and I've got three shorts written this year already (surprising, considering I don't normally have the inclination to write short stories). Am not so confident about number 4, however. But we'll see what happens - it depends not only on how much spare time I have in between going to school and catching the bus out to school and back, but also how I feel toward it when the planning stage is complete. All in good time, I suppose...
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:44 am

Hi there Dream... sounds like you've been busy writing even if you didn't do what you had planned in NaNo! I could probably find the answer to this if I read back through everything but... do you have another story being published soon?
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:24 pm

jillstar wrote:do you have another story being published soon?

Not at the moment. I want to spend a bit of time on my Harry Potter stories, especially Trinity - if I get it finished, and if the people who have been reading it like it, I'm going to see about trying to get it published in its original fiction incarnation. That probably won't be for a few more years, as I'm going to be going to school four days a week for the next two years. I'm actually hoping that J.K. Rowling (the author of the Harry Potter novels) takes a leaf out of George Lucas' book, and allows stories written about her world by other authors to be published. Fingers crossed, anyway.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:02 am

With a brand new year comes a brand new project - a story that has been in the back of my head for quite a few years, ever since I saw the movie Centre Stage for the first time. It's very loosely based on that movie, the only difference being that it's set in a music school. Hopefully this one will work out.

Though really, I don't know why I'm starting a whole new project now. I will have to cut the amount of time I spend writing once I start going to school at the end of this month - I don't like it, but my education is rather important to me. And if I want to go to university in 2008, I have to knuckle down and do my best. I suppose I'll work around my school committments somehow - I'll have plenty of time to write on the bus, that's for sure...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:24 am

It's been a while, hasn't it? *chuckles*

School started eight weeks ago, and I have been snowed under with work. It's interesting that my best subject is Mathematics, and my favourite subject is Legal Studies. I've never liked English class, though my intense dislike has been tempered by the fact that I am in the right English class for my level of ability this time around, and am therefore not being bored out of my skull! A writer who hates English class - go figure.

Anyway. A newish story of mine, Desperately Wanting, is currently holding my attention - I started it in March last year, but put it on ice when I stalled out. A writing challenge at the site Stay Dreaming prompted me to pull it out, rechristen it, and get working on it again. So far I'm up to chapter four, with 8,185 words written, and Goddess only knows how many chapters/words to go. I am quite pleased with my progress on it so far, considering how long a break I took from it. Let's hope I don't screw this one up...
Slán go fóill,

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Cool.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
hyperfine

Postby hyperfine » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:04 pm

I hated English class too.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 am

This was written as a response to a prompt at the April Fools boards - the prompt was to write a conversation between yourself and one of your characters. And, well...see for yourselves. ;)

--

Taylor: Why do you hate me so much?
Me: I don't hate you... *shifty eyes*
Taylor: Really? *cynical laugh* So what's this business with killing me off in every freaking story that you put me in?
Me: I haven't killed you off in every story. Don't exaggerate.
Taylor: Just most of them. *counts off on fingers* Murdered, car crash on a back road, cancer twice, brain aneurysm during a concert...
Me: Well, if your real life counterpart wasn't so pretty, maybe I wouldn't be so inclined to be so horrible to you!
Taylor: Pretty? He's a guy!
Me: I'm bisexual - androgynous guys turn me on. Besides, there's a good chance he's bisexual as well. *folds arms across chest* Your point?
Taylor: Just...can't you be nice to me for once?
Me: I'm nice to you in Trinity. [ He snorts. ] Be quiet. And I was nice to you in Somewhere I Belong and Angel, wasn't I?
Taylor: You put me through hell first!
Me: I'm a sadist, in case you haven't noticed yet.
Taylor: Oh, I noticed from the moment you created me.
Me: *frustrated sigh* You can't tell me that you aren't used to this by now. It's been nearly four years. What did you expect from me, sunshine and fluffy bunnies all the way?
Taylor: Well, yeah...
Me: Nice try kiddo.
Taylor: I'm fourteen-and-a-half months older than you.
Me: Semantics. You should be thankful I'm not pairing you up with Jack Sparrow and making you screw each other on the Black Pearl. Because I'd do it if I was into that sort of thing. *cocks eyebrow* Not to mention that you should be damn thankful I'm not making you ream your brother up the arse...
Taylor: Okay, okay, I'll behave myself...
Me: *grins in satisfaction* Atta boy.

--

Interesting what you can come up with in the middle of the night, isn't it? :lol:

Desperately Wanting is progressing wonderfully. I'm up to chapter six, and after this chapter have just one remaining. I basically see no point in trying to drag the storyline out further - all that will do is ruin a perfectly good story, one that I am quite proud of. Considering the length of the hiatus I took from writing, that's saying something. Seven chapters (nine if I include the prologue and the epilogue) is perfect for this story. If my muse behaves herself, I'll have it finished this week, making it my first completed story for 2006. :-D Yes, that's definitely something to be proud of.
Slán go fóill,

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 am

How are you making out with your published book, dreamcatcher?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 am

Not very well - but then I don't exactly publicise it all that much. I'm in the process of rewriting it, actually - making it a lot longer, for one. I'm aiming to have it up to around 120K when I'm done.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:59 am

Just posting to let you all know that I've finished working on Trinity :-D Final stats:

Words: 71,373
Chapters: 10 (12 if I include the prologue and the epilogue)
Pages: 167 and a half
Starting date: August 1 2005
Completed: June 4 2006

Not a bad birthday present for myself (it's my 22nd tomorrow) ;)
Slán go fóill,

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”