Books on Writing

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Can't say I've read the Portable one Weenokee, though the title sounds familiar.

I just picked up a book on writing recomended (I believe) by Mur of the I Should Be Writing podcast. The book is:

Storyteller: Writing lessons and more from 27 years of Clarion Writers' Workshop by Kate Wilhelm

Long title, haven't read it all yet, but what I have read has been either interesting (the history of their workshop) or informative (some exercises from said workshop). I like that they've made the distinction between Wordsmiths and "Natural Storytellers" and try and address the problems that both have. I honestly don't know where I fit on that spectrum, as I don't think I'm a natural story teller and I'm pretty sure I'm not a wordsmith :-k, but I find it interesting none-the-less.

It's also put out by www.smallbeerpress.com which I find amusing for some reason... what does small beer have to do with writing books?

FYI you can find an excerpt (the aformentioned chapter actually) at:
http://www.lcrw.net/wilhelm/wilhelm-can.htm

CharlesP
Last edited by charlesp on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Haven't read either of these currently I'm reading coaching the artist within (deals w/ writer's block)

and Writing a mystery novel.

I love these books though, even if the convince me that they are the equivelant of ther preverbial "opinion," they do provide some great tips and advice....

I think people go wrong when they take them as gossip or as the surfire way to publish..if there were such a book, we would all have multiple novels publish and there would be no challenge in it now would there...

that said...both will end up on my to read list...much thanks...grin.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:01 pm

I've listened to several of her mystery stories, maybe I should pick this one up.

(Not sure why the "I Should Be Writing" link isn't working correctly...)
Jen K.C.

Postby Jen K.C. » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:46 pm

A couple I'd like to add:

<b>The Little Red Writing Book</b> by, Brandon Royal. A quick reference guide of sorts that addresses the nitty-gritties of writing (i.e. grammar, style, etc.) Very easy to use, and practical yet entertaining.

<b>Fondling Your Muse</b> by, John Warner. If the title isn't enough to make you want to buy it, Amazon said this: "Fondling Your Muse is John Warner's innovative and slightly insane book of instruction for those who want to write, and those who think they already can. It's packed with quirky (possibly deranged) advice guaranteed to make you laugh out loud in the most embarrassing fashion possible." My sentiments exactly.[/url]
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:36 am

On Writing. It's a collection of letters from Ernest Hemingway. Very inspiring.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:43 pm

I might add that you can get hung up reading all these books about writing and never get around to DOING it. :-D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
wtrbby
Wordtripper

Postby wtrbby » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Ooooo... GUILTY! :oops:
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Mlou wrote:I might add that you can get hung up reading all these books about writing and never get around to DOING it. :-D

Spoil sport :P

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:10 pm

The truth hurts! :twisted:
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:41 pm

On Writing Well by William Zissner
It is really helping to clarify what I'm writing.
Nephtalius
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Nephtalius » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:06 am

novicescribbler wrote:On Writing Well by William Zissner

Yes, one of my favorites also.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 06, 2007 7:32 pm

I am following Mlou's advice ...and have made a pledge to give up on advice books until my manuscripts are out of the editing processes...then I will go back..they are addictive to a procrastinator like me... :-P
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
novelwriter
Wordtripper

Postby novelwriter » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:13 pm

I have many of the books that you peiole suggest. The novelist's boot camp is a humerous approach to writing. I love it.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”