Carving out Time

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

wtrbby
Wordtripper

Carving out Time

Postby wtrbby » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on how those that work full time outside the home manage to carve out time for your writing and not procrastinate. It's all I can do to grab an hour or two here and there sometimes, and yet when I get a windfall of time (like a whole Saturday afternoon - rare!) I end up finding all sorts of other things that I feel I "should" get done with that time instead. I can't be alone on this... please share your experiences!

Thanks,
Theresa
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:21 pm

You know, I find it harder now that I work from home and don't have specific work hours to carve out time to write. And right now it's even more difficult because I am balancing a job and school.

But when I worked full-time (at a newspaper as a reporter), I would sneak in writing when I could. There's a lot of waiting around for people to call or to go to events when you're a reporter, so those were the times I'd write. And when I was doing the lunch thing I'd write as well. I found it easier for me to do it while I was working full-time than now when I basically call my own shots.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 pm

Don't try to hard to get a full hour or two. Try 5 minutes here and there. You won't get much writting done in that time but it might leave you still feeling "in the groove" when you have to stop so that when we get a large block of time you'd be rearing to go. Start small with the goals and build on them as they become habits. 5 minutes a day for a week then 10 minutes a day the next week. Whatever works for you.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:53 pm

Late nights and Caffeine. I work second shift and try and do my writing around midnight when I've gotten home, a snack, and everybody else is in bed so my only options are sleep, read, write, or watch TV. Turn off the TV, turn down the lights so I can't read, and just pound away at the laptop keys.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
wtrbby
Wordtripper

Postby wtrbby » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:47 pm

Thanks for all the insights... very much appreciated. :)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:18 pm

My late night thing is usually not several hours BTW, I'm right now doing our "year of writing" challenge to get 335 words a day done (6 days a week for a year) and I'm averaging about 5-10 minutes of "get in the zone" time and then about 20-30 minutes of writing. For most people the key is habituating the behavoir so your unconscious writer mind knows there's a time to kick in...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:38 am

I tend to wake up early in the 4 am range and, since I'm too lazy to get out of bed, I pull the laptop up, balance it on my legs and write on my back. The bonus is that if I fall asleep the laptop falls forward and hits me on the head, which wakes me up. The only thing is that I'm afraid I will fall asleep with the delete key on.
Macbren
Wordtripper

Postby Macbren » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:18 am

I tend to grab a few minutes here and there when I have time. It usually ends up being Saturday at Starbucks, but it works. I don't mind writing when other people are around, I find it hardest when I'm at home and my family (4 teenagers and a DH) interrupts me all the time. I work in an accounting firm so right now time is almost nil because of tax season. DH and I have decided that I will go away for a week after tax season and spend it alone with my book. We'll see how that works out. I'm very excited about it. :D
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

Cicero
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:19 pm

I find it best to schedule the time. The earlier in the normal daily routine, the better, so if something arises that disrupts your schedule in a day, you have a better chance of "rescheduling/making up" the missed time...

Don't tell, my boss, but my first 30 mins to hour of work each day is my scheduled writing time Mon-Fri...
wtrbby
Wordtripper

Postby wtrbby » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:19 pm

I actually did make up a schedule, but I think I was overly optimistic... I'm lucky if I get a third to one-half the time that I schedule for writing. Better than nothing!

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”