POETRY CHALLENGE

Want to write a poem but can't think of a new idea? Here's the place for inspiration.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

POETRY CHALLENGE

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 am

Looks like I've been posting the Tuesday challenge on a sunday! :D But I catch it when I can. Hope we'll have a few venture to take these on this week.

1. How about stretching the imagination with the word "Birdhouse"? Go abstract as far as you want as long as there's one thin strand that connects.

2. A word list from which to fashion a poem.
speed, greenery, net, asphalt, hoop, blossom, box, reluctant, slope,choice

3. What can you do with this recent announcement in a church bulletin?
"Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands."
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

FOR SALE, HUSBAND, SLIGHTLY USED

So read the sign around his neck. He greeted me at the door of the church rummage sale, a once-tall gray-haired man with a smile and a bright twinkle in his eye. I asked him what it meant.

His smile turned wistful as he said “My wife always says to me 'Stand up straight and tuck in your shirt. I want somebody to buy you when I put you in the church sale.' So here I am, shirt tucked in, standing up straight – at the church sale.”

I laughed and asked where his wife was. “Oh, I expect she's watching … and laughing that a young thing like you is talking to me. You don't need a husband, do you?”

“No, no I don't,” I answered with a chuckle. “I'd love to meet your wife. She sounds like she has quite a sense of humor.”

His expression turned thoughtful. “Hmm. Yes. Well, you see … my wife died last fall. It's been a long winter without her, so I thought the church sale would be a perfect place to go. Maybe someone needs a trained husband,” and he turned away to greet someone new.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi, mae...interesting twist on the prompt! lol You see very strange things in church bulletins sometimes! :D

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Olsenpotter
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Olsenpotter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:55 pm

First of all, Mae, I loved your poem. Funny yet sad at the same time. The man comes across as so lonely that he's doing all those things that his wife said to him when she was alive just to feel a connection to her. Very interesting.
Second is my submission to the challenge. Hopefully it's good; I've been out of practice for a while.

DIY

Every weekend we do a DIY project.

1. Remove wood from box and put in piles.

Last week was a BBQ built out of bricks with winding concrete path.

2. Put piece A in piece B and screw together with 4 R sized screws.

It looks nice and just in time for Summer too.

3. Hammer piece C on to A and B with size ZZ nails.

This weekend we decided we wanted more Hummingbirds around.

4. Remove piece E from D and discard.

So we bought a Birdhouse (some assembly required) from Home Depot.

5. Glue piece D to A, B, and C using special enclosed quick drying wood glue.

It went up in a jiffy.

6. Wait for glue to dry for at least 8 hours before continuing.

And now we have Hummingbirds.

7. Stuff the hole from step 4 with straw and place in shady area.

Of course, now we also have wasps.
I'll leave you a note in the freezer.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:14 pm

lol Excellent, OP! Yeah, it's always some hidden drawback to everything we attempt. As for piece D, hole 4, and the zz nails...we've been there, done that. Usually a disaster. Especially if the "English" instructions were written by a Taiwanese. :)

Return to “Poetry Prompts”