POETRY CONTEST - New Deadline - Submissions due by 09/05/08

Want to write a poem but can't think of a new idea? Here's the place for inspiration.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

POETRY CONTEST - New Deadline - Submissions due by 09/05/08

Postby mslover » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:19 pm

By request... It is time for another infamous poetry contest for all the wordtrip fame plus bragging rights you can handle.

okay, just to make it more fun - i'm throwing in a $10 amazon gift certificate. :D

and the topic is:

My First Time...

there is a first time for everything - write a poem to describe your experience - first exotic foods, first train rides, first time seeing the ocean, etc... this is fairly limitless but keep your mind out of the gutters here folks - remember we currently have "younger" writers on the site. :wink:

Please send your poetry submissions to me (mslover) by pm so i can post them anonymously on the site for voting later. Please no spoilers! ;) We will reveal all authors after the contest and voting has ended.

Now get to it!!!

Last edited by mslover on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 pm

Hmm. This will take a bit of thought. I'm so old, it's been a long time since it was the first time for anything! And mlou! It's been even longer for her!

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 am

Precisely what I told ms when we discussed it. :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 am

Ah but you're both young at heart
Is this my reality or yours?
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 am

Ah, pengwenn, that's certainly true. My knees get jealous! mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:38 am

well jeepers people... i'm SURE you can think of something recently you've experienced for the first time. held your new grandchild? something you purchased recently that makes you smile? your first interaction with someone new?

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 am

Thank you for the contest. I have an old one that came from a first-line prompt somewhere that I"ll clean up and submit. :-D
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 am

Never mind, I have a new idea that just popped into my head. I'll send it along once I've gotten it "right" :D
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:18 am

First poem is in... I'm not going to post any of them until the deadline for submission is over. :)

C'mon poets!

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:52 am

Yeah, I know. We're all foot-draggers. :(

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:41 am

wow.... do we have to crack the whip here? only one submission for this so far...

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 pm

I guess I'm not feeling very poetic... started one but it just didn't feel right (or is that "write"... lol). :?
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:09 am

We have a total of 3 entries... if those of you who haven't entered yet would still like to, we could consider moving the deadline until this next friday... just shoot me a pm if you think you will have something with a couple more days to create. :D

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:19 pm

It might be a good idea just because there may be some people away for the 3-day weekend???
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:06 am

I think it's a good idea, too, mslover, what with school starting, Labor Day and all. mae

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm

okay - it is extended until this friday... c'mon those of you who haven't submitted... i KNOW there is a poetic work in there somewhere about your first time...

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Being a poetry moderator, I won't be entering but I hope that all our poets will give it a try. Get inspired, people. :)

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Mlou...don't let that stop you... since i am the official host of this poetry "contest", i encourage you to write! ;)

okay, we have four and two days to the deadline. anyone else??

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 pm

C'mon, mlou. Only mslover will be judging the contest this time so there's no reason you can enter.

mae

Return to “Poetry Prompts”