Picture Perfect - Elephant Skis

The Picture Perfect Writing portion of Wordtrip is used to inspire writing through the "VISUAL" of life. Look at the current picture and write an opening line, paragraph, poem, or short story. Perhaps even begin a new novel!

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Picture Perfect - Elephant Skis

Postby Anblick » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Wordtrip wrote:The Picture Perfect Writing portion of Wordtrip is used to inspire writing through the "VISUAL" of life. Look at the picture below and write whatever comes to mine... short story, Fast Fiction or novel... even a poem may be inspired from this picture.

For more information... click HERE.

Here's your next picture challenge to inspire us to write. Write an opening line, paragraph or even a short story to go along with the picture. Perhaps even begin a new novel! Maybe members would like to use these as future tags... just ask the person who starts it if it's ok to use.

Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:55 pm

forgive me, but somehow I doubt that boat is going to pull that elephant. let alone the elephant's problems if it does... but it is somehow every inspiring. must think on this...
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am

Okay, guys, here's a first draft, written online. You can see how I wasted my college education.

When the pond ice melted in a month or two, Eric was going to try elephant water skiing. Why not? The drowning hippo was pretty cool.

Old Doc Merganthaler--the original absent-minded professor--didn't miss the waste basket made of a hippo foot. Some crappy souvenir he picked up in Africa, no doubt.

Eric and Gip swiped it on Saturday while everyone was in the refectory having their once-a-week steak. They trudged from the classrooms through the biting wind to the pond on campus.

Gip carefully unwound the rope and tied it in two lengths to the foot. Eric took one end and Gip the other, dangling the foot ten feet between them. Carefully, they plopped the foot into the snow so a trail of footprints walked from the highway to the middle of the pond.

It was Eric who took the huge stone and flung it through the ice where the footprints ended. "So long, hippo," Gip said, and they walked back to Eric's dorm room to drink beer.

By Monday afternoon, the story of the drowned hippo had buzzed through the campus. The town paper carried the story as front page news. The college health official suggested students might be better off not drinking from the pond reservoir. The state police said some scuba divers were on their way from Iowa City.

No one paid attention to Old Doc Merganthaler's plaintive inquires as to where his waste basket had gone.

"I think," Eric said after his third beer on Monday evening, "an actual elephant might be hard to find. And water skis?"

Gip popped another brew. "Maybe, but I know where there's a cow all alone outside of town. Give me a few minutes to think about the boat and skis."
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Wow- I love it! but- ps- why didn't they just throw something else in the lake and return the wastebasket? Leave no evidence and all that?
~Saphyre

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…

For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:45 am

Yeah, okay. I can see that. Evidence? Not something college kids think about when they've been drinking beer. Where I came from, cow tipping was a Saturday night sport.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:08 am

Very true. Still, it was very well written.
~Saphyre

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 am

The First Lie

I can do this. I know I can.
Mother always said I could do whatever
I set my mind to.
Didn’t she?
She wouldn’t have lied to me,
would she?

I can do this.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 am

Love the story, Timberline. Really sounds like something a couple of bored college students would do.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing

Return to “Picture Prompts”