Picture Perfect - Swingset

The Picture Perfect Writing portion of Wordtrip is used to inspire writing through the "VISUAL" of life. Look at the current picture and write an opening line, paragraph, poem, or short story. Perhaps even begin a new novel!

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Picture Perfect - Swingset

Postby Anblick » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:04 pm

jillstar wrote:The Picture Perfect Writing portion of Wordtrip is used to inspire writing through the "VISUAL" of life. Look at the picture below and write whatever comes to mine... short story, Fast Fiction or novel... even a poem may be inspired from this picture.

For more information... click HERE.

Here's your next picture challenge to inspire us to write. Write an opening line, paragraph or even a short story to go along with the picture. Perhaps even begin a new novel! Maybe members would like to use these as future tags... just ask the person who starts it if it's ok to use.

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:31 am

The Old Rope Swing

In the still still twilight,
before the weakening sun
the old swing hangs unmoving,
as if nothing had ever begun.

As if I'd never sat
in the late evening dreaming
or soaring high to the clouds
got lost in the sun's last beaming.

I sit cautiously down
and grip the old ropes.
The swing moves on its own
and I remember my hopes.

For each one lost
its dream I rescind,
and I swing through the night
drying my tears in the wind.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:35 am

mae that's beautiful. I loved it.
Is this my reality or yours?
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks, pengwenn. It's a very evocative photo. mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: A hideous hole filled with death's stench and dark chocolate covered peanut M&M's.

Postby Dionysus » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:58 pm

I read it and my emotions said "Wow"

Absolutely beautiful.
We can never know about tomorrow.
Still we have to choose which way to go.

He not busy being born is busy dying.

Speak these words when I die: "Either hell just got more cheerful or heaven got more fun."
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:27 pm

Excellently brings the mood of the photo to life!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:22 pm

yet another michael/sabrina appearance. this one may be hard to follow because it switches point of view.

“Hard, isn’t it? Yeah- I know. I’ve never been in your shoes, exactly, but I’ve been near there. Done something stupid you were told not to do, and end up hurt. Except my something stupid had to do with beating up eight guys bigger than me and all but breaking my neck.” Kathy didn’t look up at me, choosing instead to rock gently on the swing and kick the dirt beneath her. I waited, knowing she would eventually recognize her need to talk.

“I’ll never mock her again.” I nodded, though Kathy couldn’t see me. Yes, I’d suspected she’d see the irony between her plight and the one she’d put Hally in. I sighed and sat down on the grass beside her swing, dropping naturally into a cross-legged position.

“I think that may be the only good thing to come out of this.” Kathy digested that in silence, and I tried to hold my tongue long enough for her to see the lie in that statement.

“No. More good than that has come. I will bear a son, and he will be a blessing though conceived in sin. Hally has a friend now- which is more than a cessation of mockery. And Kyle will never hurt another girl again.” I didn’t contradict her last statement, although I could have. Kyle’s sentence would soon be reduced to a year with parole- the state just didn’t have enough funding to hold him for longer than that without a public outcry at his release to warrant his continued confinement. Now if Kathy had been unwilling he’d probably rot in that prison- but as it was he’d be out before we’d graduated. But that wasn’t what Kathy needed to hear right now.

“I need to finish school soon so I can take care of him. I talked to my councilor about dropping all my extra-circulars so I can finish by the end of this year. She said it’s possible, but difficult. I told her it doesn’t matter. My baby’s all that matters now. I wish he had a daddy.”

“If you can see that then you’re smarter than you were when you started dating him.”

“Kyle taught me a lot of hard truths. I won’t let my child suffer for my mistakes.”

---

Michael and Jason watched the two girls from the backdoor of the gymnasium. “How long you recon that swing’s been there?” Jason asked, although that was not where his thoughts were.

“Roughly 30 years. You can see the way the tree branch has grown around the top of the rope.” Michael studied Jason for a long moment. “Sabrina will talk her around- help her see what she needs to see. She’s good a stuff like this.”

“Sabrina’s good at everything.” Jason observed, still avoiding talking about the girl he was staring at so lovingly.

“Not everything, believe me.” Michael countered, remembering more than one close scrap and thinking of her frequently snapped vertebra. Honestly, if her phoenician healing didn’t help her so much, even a bit in non-magical dimensions, Sabrina would have been dead long ago. He forced the main track of his brain back onto the situation at hand.

“Her baby’s going to need a father.” Jason finally said after a long silence.

“So he is.” Michael allowed a pause before continuing. “Did you have someone in mind?”

“I’ve always healed Kathy’s hurts.” Jason said as though it explained everything. “At first it was just that she saw me as a brother and I protected her like she was my sister- us having grown up together and everything. I was always mad when other guys hurt her heart. When they hurt her period. And she’d always come crying to me and I always comforted her. it really bothered me when she’d go back to them after they hurt her, or go to guys just like the ones that had left her. I always knew I would never hurt her like that.

“I didn’t notice my not-so-platonic feelings until she was crying on my shoulder once, in the library, and I realized how soft her hair was, and how beautiful it was in the dim light. I never told her, and I was very careful that she never knew. And I never let myself fantasize. She used to hold my hand, before my feelings changed, but afterwards I was very careful not to let her. I didn’t want anything to hurt her, and I knew that my feelings would hurt her because she always felt for someone else. So I just helped her and healed her as best as I could, and tried to protect her from the worst of it.

“I still love her. Even if she messed up. Even if a part of her now will forever belong to Kyle. And I love her child. I still want to hold her and stroke her hair. I respect her, and I want her to know it.”

“She needs you now more than she ever has.” It was a very simple statement to follow such a dramatic monologue. Jason turned it over in his head a long time.

“Do you know where I can find a ring? I want to do this right.” Very slowly Michael handed Jason a delicate gold and diamond ring. “What is this?” Jason asked. Michael didn’t answer him immediately.

“It is the ring you are about to give your fiancé.” Jason nodded, embraced Michael in wordless thanks, and then headed toward the swing. At the same time, Michael could see Sabrina slowly stand up and leave Kathy sitting on the swing.

Sabrina reached Michael in time to turn and watch Jason explain and propose, and to watch Kathy hug him and accept.

“Thus begins a long road of healing.” Michael said, watching the two silhouettes intently, as though he could see anything against the setting sun.

“She said even before he came over there that she was going to name her son Jason. She said she always respected him for his strength and his purity.” They both watched the pair for a moment more before Michael carefully wrapped his arms around Sabrina’s waist and pulled her close, kissing the top of her head as he did so. She didn’t move or protest, though in a different mood she might have.

“They still have a long road ahead of them. Finding the boundaries between platonic, brotherly love and romance, learning to deal with all the hurt and secrets she has… even with trust their barriers will not be easy to overcome.”

“Why do I get the impression you’re not talking about them anymore?” Sabrina asked quietly, twisting around in Michael’s arms to study his face for a long moment. “You gave him Hannah’s purity ring, didn’t you?” Michael didn’t have to answer aloud.

Sabrina returned to watching the new couple in silence as Jason pushed Kathy gently on the ancient swing. “I know she’s been gone a long time now, but it still hurts.”

“She was like a sister to you. It’s supposed to hurt.”

“It feels right that Kathy should have it. Hannah would have approved.” Michael didn’t push her. Like Jason, he would never hurt Sabrina- for any reason.

One day she would crack under the grief she had already borne too long- grief for her mother and sister and countless others. One day she would give up saving the world and pass her knowledge of the Deep Magics on to an apprentice. One day he would give her the ring that his mother had worn in dedication to his father. But today was not that day.

----

so... what did you think?
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:29 am

Saphyre are you using these small stories in your novel or as just character sketches so you can explore the world a little more outside the novel? I know you're done several challenges with these characters/world.
Is this my reality or yours?
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

mostly character sketches, although sometimes i like a scene enough to try to work it into a point of the story. right now, all this "novel" is is a title, two characters, a vague outline and a lack of determination to write it. but its a good excercise for me and right now its the only writing i'm doing. i'm stuck or braindead on all my other plots and have no time to try to be un-stuck.
~Saphyre

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…

For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!

Return to “Picture Prompts”