FF - Midnight Pie (read the description)

Fast Fiction is fiction written fast. The object is to get your brain thinking about a given subject without interference from “reason”. Go for the 30 minute time limit.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

FF - Midnight Pie (read the description)

Postby JillStar » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:21 am

jillstar wrote: Fast Fiction is just that... fiction written fast. Please visit What is FAST FICTION for more information.

Look at the subject for today's Fast Fiction at the end of this post... once you have the slightest beginning to your story… begin to write. Don't stop to ponder the meaning behind your writing or try to "fix" it so it's perfect... just write.

If you want to include your Fast Fiction finished product on WordTrip, simply add it to this thread. We would love it!

REMINDER: Please keep your stories PG13 if posted on the site. If you want a critique after you are complete, please consider using your writing group for help in that area or send a PM to one of us.

... try to stick to the 30 minutes time limit... ready, set... WRITE!

SUBJECT: It was midnight but I still had to eat the last piece of pie.
Last edited by JillStar on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
PaulG
Master Tripper

Postby PaulG » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Here you go. Thirty minutes work which was started upon the completion of my taxes. Hopefully, there is no food tax.
This is not going to be good for my stomach. I really have a hard time sleeping if I eat this late. I’ve got to get this done though. The sooner the better I suppose and I wish I had known sooner.

There it is towards the back of the second shelf down, it’s lovely too! I enjoy apple, I like blueberry, but when you come right down to it there is nothing as heavenly as a good peach pie! To top it all off, it’s been in the refrigerator for about six hours and it will be nice and cold. It tastes great when it’s warm, but cold pie just has this refreshing feel to it when it hits your mouth. Along with the natural sweetness of the peaches, man I don’t know how to beat that combination.

Look at it! Peel off the aluminum foil and see how the filling glistens in the sultry light of the forty-watt appliance bulb. Beautiful! And the crust, no scorch marks on it anywhere. Colored in what can be best described as a dark tan or real light brown shade. In addition, it has a slight shine on it from the brushing with the egg wash they use before they put it in the oven.

Just the joy of eating this is going to be great but I really intended to devour this slice tomorrow. Well, I guess tomorrow begins at midnight. It’s going to be a long day at the office. But like the wife said, if we don’t get rid of this stuff now, we’ll never get a chance later. The in-laws are due in early tomorrow morning.

Nice folks, but can they pack it away! When we were first married they came up for a weekend and it blew our grocery budget for the month! The only way to describe the visit is forty-eight hours of grazing. Those folks could not stop! We all went to the super market to pick up items for breakfast. When I asked if they would prefer ham or bacon or sausage to go with their eggs they just said yes. It didn’t get much better after that. My wife and I from that point on simply referred to them as “The Consumers”. From now on, they show up, we all go out and split the tab!

Well here we go my gorgeous peach slice. I would have preferred to savor you tomorrow night while watching a ballgame, but that is not to be. There is no way to hide you for some time in the future. The future, as they say, is now. The future is also not being able to sleep until about two in the morning. Ah, the sacrifices one must make.

My apologies to my stomach!
Last edited by PaulG on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and every now & then I spend my time at rhyme & verse & curse those faults in me...- "Along Comes Mary"- The Association

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."- Steven Wright
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Okay...this was begging to be written. It was kind of fun...amazing how quickly 30 minutes can go. 8)

Dinner and it’s company had ended and disbanded several hours ago. I sat up in the dark room, startled and dismayed at the way my dreams had gone. Memo to self: do not eat chocolate and sparkling apple juice together before going to bed again – murdering my sister and her husband because they had taken away my puppy was too much to deal with a second time around.

My stomach growled and I glanced at the clock, shaking my head. It was after midnight, but I still had to finish the last piece of pie. There was no way I was going to let Jared get it first. A strange vision of the thick apple pie with it’s homemade crust had wafted through my dreams as well, tempting me with the thought I could actually smell it.

I threw back the covers and tip-toed down the hallway to the kitchen, not wanting to wake anyone else up in my scavenging for food. Mom had cooked enough food to feed the neighborhood just because we’d had guests. You would have thought we never fed my sister and her husband, but who was I to complain? I loved the leftovers. Although, tonight there didn’t seem to be much – just that lone piece of pie that was calling my name.

I opened the fridge and scouted out the pie tin in the back, behind the milk and juice. Grinning, I reached in and pulled it out. “Gotcha!”

Mom always thought putting stuff behind other things would discourage us kids from getting into it. Like we didn’t have the smarts to move stuff around or wouldn’t see past what was in front of it? Of course, since we always claimed we couldn’t find stuff that <i>was</i> right in front of us, she probably had every right to expect we didn’t have much in the way of brain cells or eye sight, but that was just our trick to getting out of what we’d been asked to do – like getting items out of the pantry, or finding clothes in the laundry room. We weren’t as dumb as we pretended to be.

I sat down on the bench by the counter, slipping my fingers around the chilled crust. The pie was cold enough that the apples with their sweet sauce would stay in the crust and not slosh all over my and the counter. Last thing I wanted was a mess to give myself away. So far, in the war of the brothers, I was the top contender in not giving myself away in the food snatching game. Jared had been caught twice – once in the vary act. We made sure he never forgot it either.

I heard a stealthy step in the hallway, and quickly pondered my options, swallowing the last of the pie and grabbing the empty tin. There was no way I was going to loose top spot in the ratings, I had to get out of there fast. I stuck the tin back in the fridge, thankful for the umpteenth time that I’d oiled the hinges on the fridge just last week. It never hurt to cover all ones bases... I was back in the hallway and silently moving along the wall before whoever it was entered the kitchen.

I listened intently for signs that someone was searching for food, wondering which brother it was. Jared had given up long ago – it could be Mike, he was always up for pie, or James – he was angry that he’d been given a smaller piece of roast at dinner. My musings were interrupted by the sound of someone muttering – just barely loud enough to hear.

Ah hah! I smiled and silently made my way back to my room, my twofold mission complete. I’d kept mom on her diet, just like she’d asked me to.
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Here's another take on that last piece of pie. (23 minutes, 700 words)

Last Piece of Pie

I guess everything I learned about getting out of work, I learned from my big brother, Allen. I was working on my homework when I overheard him say to my sister, “Mandy, I’ll wash your car if you’ll give me that last slice of Mom’s pie.”

“But that’s my slice,” she shrieked, like he’d just gotten into her private diary or something. Mom was famous for her pies and we all knew there was just one slice of her Dutch apple pie left in the fridge. Mandy is one of those terrible people who won’t eat her dessert just cause she wants to make you feel bad when yours is all gone and she still is picking at hers.

“But you don’t want to go to the game tonight and show everyone you’re too lazy to wash the mud off your car,” Allen said in horror.

“Well, you’ve got a point—but you better do it fast and do it right or I’ll whack you a good one.” Mandy was always suspicious, but she had a right to be where Allen was concerned.

This sounded interesting so I pushed my history homework aside and followed him out the back door. Joey, our big brother was sitting on the porch with a rake in his hand, probably wishing he could be down the street where his girlfriend, Deirdre, was playing ball with her dog.

“Hey, Joey, I see Deirdre’s waiting for you.,” Allen said.

“Shut up, half pint. I don’t need you to tell me what tragedy is.”

“Hey, I got an idea. Joey, I’ll rake the leaves if you’ll wash Mandy’s car. Then you can drive it around the block to air dry it and maybe pick up Deirdre for a Coke. Sound fair?”

Joey’s eyes crinkled up, wondering if there was a trick, but it sounded too good to refuse, so he threw the rake in Allen’s hands. “So long, sucker,” he said.“

Allen dropped the rake and went back to the garage where Dad was fiddling with some of the junk there. Our garage has so much junk that Dad can’t park the car there. Allen didn’t say anything to me, but he punched me on the shoulder which is as good as I’m going to get from him in the way of a greeting.

“Hey, Dad,” he said, like some sweet kid in a Hollywood TV show, “I was going to rake up the leaves—just to help out, but there’s a rabbit nest in it. Want me to kill it?”

“Allen,” Dad said enthusiastically, which makes me think he loves Allen more than any of us. “That is so thoughtful. But, hey, leave the raking. And the rabbits—well, Mom’s gotta get it through her head the garden isn’t worth the trouble—and I hate cabbage.”

Allen just smiled and went into the kitchen.

“Hey, Mom, I’m all done with my chores. Mandy’s car is washed, the leaves are taken care of and I think I’ve done about enough for a Saturday. I think I’ll have that last piece of pie and rest up.”

I couldn’t believe my ears! He had suckered Mandy out of her piece of pie by offering to wash her old car, and then got Joey to do the washing, and then finagled Dad into telling him not to rake the leaves. I was impressed, hoping I’d be that smart when I grow up.

“You wonderful young man!” she cooed. “I am so proud of you—but you can’t have the pie. I’m saving that piece for Mrs. Timothy next door. How about a nice glass of milk instead?”

Allen’s eyes rolled back in his head like a scene from a cowboy movie where the bad guy gets shot, he spun around and fell to the linoleum—passed out cold.

“I think he’s dead, Mom,” I said. “The shock was too much.”

Mom got down on her hands and knees and put Allen’s head in her lap. “Oh, my dear. Sit up and talk to me. I didn’t know you’d worked so hard. Just be still and I’ll fetch the pie. You deserve it.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 pm

:lol: That was great Timber...you did it again. 8)

~*~ Writing is life ~*~
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Wow... everyone did such a great job... thanks for sharing with us once more. It's funny how some challenges seem to really spark the imagination and other's don't really go anywhere. Good to see all our writers getting their fingers typing or their pencils flowing!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks, 'Mom--and good show to you and Paul. These prompts are like blood to a vampire for me. Don't know why I can't come up with ideas on my own. I feel like the town idiot who was given a job polishing cannonballs in the square. Then he quit, saying he'd bought a cannonball and was going into business for himself. My problem. No balls.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Timber, I'm laughing so hard at that - I'm suprised you can't hear me all the way out there in Cambridge! Don't think of it as having no balls, it's just that you've misplaced them and are borrowing someone else's until you find yours.

Ah, life out here in the sticks of western MA wouldn't be nearly as much fun without this board.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:08 am

I know how you feel, Timber. I love these kind of writing blurbs. They make my brain work better...grin 8)

~*~ Writing is life ~*~

Return to “Fast Fiction Friday”