FF - Mismatched Pair

Fast Fiction is fiction written fast. The object is to get your brain thinking about a given subject without interference from “reason”. Go for the 30 minute time limit.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

FF - Mismatched Pair

Postby JillStar » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:44 pm

jillstar wrote: Fast Fiction is just that... fiction written fast. Please visit What is FAST FICTION for more information.

Look at the subject for today's Fast Fiction at the end of this post... once you have the slightest beginning to your story… begin to write. Don't stop to ponder the meaning behind your writing or try to "fix" it so it's perfect... just write.

If you want to include your Fast Fiction finished product on WordTrip, simply add it to this thread. We would love it!

REMINDER: Please keep your stories PG13 if posted on the site. If you want a critique after you are complete, please consider using your writing group for help in that area or send a PM to one of us.

... try to stick to the 30 minutes time limit... ready, set... WRITE!

SUBJECT: Mismatched Pair

The best thing to do is write yours BEFORE reading anyone elses finished work posted below.
Last edited by JillStar on Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:33 pm

Ok... this is pretty rough guys... but it's the way it came out in my 30 minute Fast Fiction match.

Subject: Mismatched Pair (1142 words)

She was extraordinarily righteous and he was unforgivingly demented. They were the perfect pair; a match made in heaven. Her father was the minister of The Church Across Town (yes, that was its name) and her mother baked cookies and cakes for everyone in the congregation; day in and day out. His father was a hopeless drunk who scratched his butt and other such areas and drank tequila; day in and day out. His mother? Oh, she was off with some young Spanish man on an Alaskan cruise; fitting since no one ever had money for food.

The minister took his daughter aside one day and began a smooth but firm preaching about the dangers of meeting up with the wrong sort of man.

“Men of the world and not of God will deceive you and make you do things you don’t want to do. There will be good men who knock at the door of your house, but until that time you must remain pure of heart, pure of soul and pure of body. Only in this manner will be meet you maker and kneel before him with a clear conscious.”

A minister’s daughter; that was what they labeled her and the type of men who came calling were either extremely religious and hardly ever smiled at her or they were the bad boys who wanted to pop the minister’s daughter’s cherry. Either way, she wasn’t interested.

That is until he hit her with his shopping cart at the local grocery store. She was fairly certain it was on accident since he nearly knocked her over into a large display of canned corn. This was no small bump and “excuse me maam”; this was like closing your eyes and walking into the corner of an open door. His cart collided into her leg slicing it open. Her cries of pain were heard by the tellers who came running to her aide. He stood there… saying he was sorry over and over again until she finally sent the clerks away, but only after receiving a bandaid.

“What were you doing going so fast in the store,” she asked him

He looked back and forth as if being followed. “I was trying to get to the checkout before my father could finish his shopping.”

She looked at him with dismay not knowing what he was talking about. “Why would you need to beat your father to the line?”

“If I pay for the groceries before he remembers the booze, we can leave without it.”

“Oh, I see,” she said. Actually, she didn’t see at all. She was naïve and was certain booze meant alcohol but wasn’t really sure. Her train of thought was interrupted when she saw him staring at her. “What?”

“Have I seen you before,” he asked.

“No,” she said.

“I didn’t think so. It’s just that I come here all the time and wasn’t sure if I recognized you or not.”

She contemplated him, wondering if he was flirting with her or just naturally dence. Of course, she doubted she would know the difference and that thought only made her angry at her father. A sheltered life does not do any help in the real world. So she simply smiled and was met with one in return.

From that day forth, life was a whirlwind with him. She did things to be with him she never contemplated. He led her to late-night showings of movies or dance halls in which they always snuck in because he had no money. He took her to corner cafes with sodas and milkshakes. He took her to baseball games and long moon-lit walks in the park. He was wonderful and she loved him.

The inevitable was bound to happen and she knew it was true. The two things she feared most in life were her father and sex. Her father was judgmental (which she found odd for a minister), controlling and very hard to trick. sex was something no one ever talked about in her house and she was not even allowed to attend classes explaining it in school. She was completely clueless and because of her father’s preaching, fearful. Although he never talked about sex directly, he hinted about it through his strong words of the gospel and how the hounds of hell would come forth from their earthly cave of doom and consume any who was not chaste.

Well, she doubted how realistic her father’s descriptions of hell and the hounds that dwelt there really was, but still she feared it. Would he know if she were no longer a virgin? Would she walk different or look different? She imagined a giant “D” appearing on her forehead for Delilah.

She thought about it often and wondered if she should just ask her new love if he knew the answer.

“I have a question,” she asked him.

“What is it,” he asked as he lay on the sofa of his father’s house apartment.

“It’s a stupid question and you’re going to laugh at me,” she said.

“I won’t lau…” he began to say and then thought it through “I’ll try not to laugh, but you could never ask me a stupid question.”

He amazed her with his intellectuality and wondered if he practiced it in front of a mirror late at night when they were apart.

“My father has preached to me the evils of intimacy,” she said.

“Evils of intimacy,” he asked, although not as a question. “Intimacy is not evil; murder is evil. Why would he tell you intimacy is evil.”

“I suppose to prevent me from doing intimate things and I fear that once I do them, he will know.”

“No one will know unless you tell them,” he said

“Really? It’s not obvious afterwards?”

He smiled, trying not to laugh. “Well, if you care for the person you are intimate with, then in some ways, it may be obvious. Love is hardly something you can hide.”

She looked into his eyes and thought about his words. Was he tricking her like her dad told her men would do? Was he the devil’s advocate?

“You’re very patient with me,” she said.

“You give me more credit than I deserve. I am only human, after all.”

What did that mean; was he seeing someone else? She looked at him questioningly and he smiled again.

“No… there is no one else… that is not what I am talking about. You are very naïve, aren’t you?”

She frowned, hating to be naïve.

“It’s ok,” he said “I like you that way.”

“Will we ever…”

“What? Have sex?” he smiled wriley “I hope so, cause my hand’s tired.”

“What do you mean,” she asked with a puzzled look on her face.

“Nothing… just come over here so I can kiss you.”
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:57 pm

When Dustin first saw his blind date, he was sure Todd was playing a joke on him. By no stretch of the imagination could she be considered attractive. And her lack of beauty was natural, too. It wasn’t caused by any unfortunate scars, no, she was just plain ugly.

When Claire first saw her blind date, she was sure Jenna was playing a joke on her. He was totally out of her league. His skin tight Polo shirt showed rippling muscles, and his looks were that of a male model. She knew that given his looks, this was just a cruel joke.

Dustin listened to his date drone on and on about herself. Either she loved the sound of her own voice, or she preferred to limit the conversation to the singular subject of her own life. He did, however, learn some intriguing stuff about her. She was a registered nurse, and attending med school to become a doctor.

Claire was further disappointed because she had to carry the entire conversation. Her date wouldn’t talk at all. She hated talking about herself, but with the alternative being dead silence, she knew she would have to do most of the talking. And to make matters worse, he didn’t seem to have any interest in her except when she talked about her job and her aspirations for her job.

Dustin couldn’t wait for the date to end. He couldn’t imagine any reason other than a practical joke that he’d been hooked up with this ugly, yappy chick. At least he had the Star Trek convention later in the week to keep his mind occupied until the end of this disaster.

This was the worst date of Claire’s admittedly short dating life. Granted, she brought much of that disappointment on herself. In addition to her less than desirable looks, she was a geek at heart. She couldn’t imagine what Claire thought she might have in common with this man and was now totally convinced it was a joke. At least she had the Star Trek convention later in the week to look forward to.

(Hand-written in the time period)
Zuggy
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:43 pm

Good story. It jsut goes to show that trekkies come in all shapes and sizes.

Live long and prosper. \\// (I can actually do the spock fingure thing too).
Check out my Laptop [url=laptopres.blogspot.com]Blog[/url]
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:57 pm

Well, as I wrote it, I only knew that it was about misconceptions, it wasn't until near the end that I figured out what they'd have in common...
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:06 pm

I like it Anblick... makes me wonder what will happen when they finally see each other again at the convention... :)
Quicksilver Wolf
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: 'A House On A Hill Productions Studio', QLD, Australia

Postby Quicksilver Wolf » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:03 am

Well, well, well...
I like stupid people. They're like cupcakes, only stupid.

~ Darklord DM (I think)
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:11 am

Anblick, just my kinda story--one that comes with a wicked punchline in the last 'graf! Reminds me, too, of some blind dates I knew--but no punchline.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com

Return to “Fast Fiction Friday”