Can anyone help me?

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Can anyone help me?

Postby *Elle* » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi guys!
I'm entering in a contest that isnt through our school but our school advertises it. So we have three choices!
Personal Essay
A fiction story
or poem that can't be more that 50 lines!
I have no idea which one to do nor do I have any ideas! Can anyone help me please?

Any help would be appreciated!
Elle
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Hey Elle,
I guess my first question would be do you have any topic constraint? Or can it be absolutely any of these things, because if so I would recommend go with what you are comfortable with. All throughout elementary school and middle school I would enter these similar contests, but would be so worried about doing what others thought I lost a sense of who I was as a writer and my writing suffer as a result.

So that would be my advice.

-FW3
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 am

Good advice, Funky. That old saw "Write what you know." isn't such a bad piece of advice at all. Write from your own thoughts and experiences and the result will be more believable.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:59 pm

We can do anything we want! But I don't have any ideas to get me rolling! Like the story I'm writing now it wont be done for a while and you have to fit it on 5 double spaced typed pages. I just dont have any ideas.

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:46 pm

You could look at the gazillion writers prompts posted on this board.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:18 pm

The prompts are a good place to start...but elle...try this...

Your at a sleep over.....and everyone is telling stories....scary stories, funny stories, stories bemoaning their lastest boyfriend/girlfriend situations...

What would your story be about?

Sometimes when you can put yourself in a situation, the story just seems to take shape on it's own...

I'm doing two short stories....the first is for the patterson contest...which is a challenge I never wrote a detective short...read 'em but never wrote one..the other is a horror story based on Whitewater rafting. (That one trip is going to give me at least 1/2 dozen stories/articles...)

Has something happened to you that you keep talking about? That could be the start to a story. When I was about your age I wrote a story about my aunt's wedding...it turned out to be quite comical...
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:49 pm

I figured it out! I'm currently writing a story for my own enjoyment and there is so many ways you can turn it around into a different ending so thats what im doing!

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”