Since I've never been pregnant. . .

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Since I've never been pregnant. . .

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Can someone fill me in what it's like to be pregnant? How did you find out? What was the advent of symptoms? Was it puking? What were the other things?
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:12 pm

This better be WRITING research.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Dude, you know I don't want kids. lol

I need to make a character preggo.
Behind the Press

TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Well, when I was preggers, I pee'd A LOT. With James (my 16 year old) I was throwing up constantly. I was so sick, I don't know if it was all just the standard morning sickness or just the stress I was under (long whiny story). I was also really tired all the time. I couldn't sleep enough.

The last time, I just felt "different". I wanted chocolate. LOTS OF IT. I went to the bathroom constantly as before, but the morning sickness not so much. I was tired, but not as much as the last time. Sadly, it didn't work out. This is one of the few times I've ever talked about it. But other than having to pee all the time, they were different.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks for your input, Tina.
Behind the Press

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:53 pm

This at least I am qualified to help out with...

My very first signs (with both pregnancies) was a bit of nausea, ESPECIALLY during my routine activities such as smoking or having a beer.

Baby no likey.

Zach produced nausea even after that... all day every day for about 3 months. The docile creature residing in my uterus at present typically doesn't make me feel sick at all since the lack of aforementioned smoking and alcohol.

But I do crave weird things like sweets, which I don't usually care about, and bacon, which I hate.

And yes, the constant need to pee.

Also weepiness. My cellphone battery dying and starving children shown in the media all produce the same effect: tears.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:54 pm

you're exactly the person I hoped would respond to this, del. thank you!
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:19 pm

I have never been pregger's and don't want to be, my dear. But, I have many friends who have gone through the expereince...UGH!

Only 2 of them LOVED being pregnant. The rest are a mix bag, but I will let those who have gone through it give you 1st hand accounts.....

Me: I will take pre-fab kids any day
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:49 pm

I don't remember ever being sick with it...Of course that was in another century! :D I DO however remember a humungous craving for baked potato skins. Not the potato. Just the skins. Evidently that signals a need for potassium.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:01 pm

When my sister was pregnant with the first one she would get cravings for ice cream at 3 o'clock in the morning. Luckily they lived on a corner with a convienence store on the opposite corner. My bro-in-law would get up to walk over there for some, but by the time he got back she couldn't stand the sight of ice cream. I think HE ate a lot of ice cream when she was pregnant.
Is this my reality or yours?
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Oh, yeah, the weepy. Crying for no f-ing reason was a biatch!

M'Lou, I can relate to the baked potato skins. LOL When I was preggers with james, I would go to this restaurant near my job every day for lunch. The bartender would have ready for me, a plate of the restaurant's skins and a glass of milk waiting. I went there a lot. LOL
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks everyone :)
Behind the Press

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 pm

During the last month of my pregnancy I asked "can I change my mind?" Seems that's when fear sets in. It passed but it was intense... I think the fact I couldn't actually "run away" from it caused me to accept it and let the fear fade away.

Lets see... Oh... and I ate too much and gained 40 pounds. I would eat two lunches instead of just eating crackers when that second lunch seemed to come along. The bummer was that my son was only about 5 1/2 pounds so I really only lost about 10 pounds when he was born. Ick.

What else... I had an epidural... it was great! No pain but I could still feel everything. I had to wait for the doctor to be ready for me... I probably could have had him an hour earlier if my doctor was ready.

Hmmm... Oh... I had contractions about 24 hours before going to the hospital and did my breathing exercises during the night prior but when the morning came along... the contractions were then 20+ minutes apart rather than the original 5 minutes. So... I waited. I walked around the house and whenever I felt a contraction coming along, I would place a pillow between my legs and squat down on it. When that no longer helped, it was time to go to the hospital.

I don't recall ever being sick... maybe a little nauseous the first month, but nothing much. I do know that if I had to do it again... I would stay that extra day that I was allowed by my insurance rather than going home because I thought I was fine. That first day at home was exhausting and depressing and all I really did was lie around... luckily my mother was there.

But I digress... :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:09 am

As for the husbands' reactions, which you didn't ask for...I remember waking Jim up and tellilng him, it's time to go. He went back to sleep. I woke him again and repeated it. We've got to get going. "Oh," he said, "You mean NOW?" Gahhh! Men!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm

My Mom said she had to call my Dad down at the coffee shop and get him home. They lived in his hometown back then so it was easy to track him down. My uncle said they never saw my Dad run so fast in his life. LOL

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”