Ocean names question

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

MermaidLover27
Wordtripper

Postby MermaidLover27 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Lynnaria is a name for a planet. Mia and Rick are the creators of Lynnaria, Grace, and Divinity. I'm still writing the story and will write today. I have not figured out how to describe the ocean or how it looks like.

MermaidLover27
I love mermaids and I love to reading and watch Smallville.

I love watching movies and plays.

Mia O'Malley
MermaidLover27
Wordtripper

Postby MermaidLover27 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:42 pm

What I meant to ask how the ocean looks under water.

MermaidLover27

Mia is the princess of southern Pearlysian.

Mia O'Malley
MermaidLover27
Wordtripper

Postby MermaidLover27 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:35 am

I am going to write how the ocean looks underwater and finish chapter 1 maybe tonight.

MermaidLover27

Mia O'Malley
JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby JT » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:26 pm

MermaidLover27 wrote:In my story Mia is not a pet. I think eating mermaids is sick to my stomach.

Well, I have to side with throwedmind on this, self-avowed cannibal that he is. Just because the idea is sick to your stomach, what's fair is fair. You see, it is well know that Mermaids are natural born killers and also have a taste for human flesh. See She Creature. But some grow up to 160 feet, so the size issue is difficult. If someone hasn't already suggested this, you may want to name the oceans by the different colors of their hair when they have been sited over the past 7000 or so years. I think green is the most common. But there are also black, brown and blonde haired ones. I am partial to the Blonde Ocean, but probably because I loved Daryl Hannah in Splash.
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:00 pm

Ok went back through this thread and let me see if I got this right.

1. Your are writing a fictious story of another world Lynnaria in which it is inhabited and run by merfolk.

2. Mia will become ruler

3. You are at the point of description of the Ocean in which she resides and you want to know if you need to name it.

I have a few questions and then I will add my 2 cents.

First, how many oceans are on this planet and will Mia rule them all? Or is it more divided i.e. we live in the United States. When referring to ruling here, we do not state we rule the world we state we rule (or the president) the United States. Some one else rules Britian and another rules China. These are geographical areas but also "kingdoms"

If Mia's kingdom's boundaries are defined by the ocean in which she inhabits you should definately name it. The name can be silly, symbolic or ordinary depending on what you would like to convey.

For example use the hair suggestion if all the residence of the kingdom have blue hair....though you may be setting yourself up for a metaphor regarding race.

If you want symbolic. Well then what type of story are you telling, what does Mia's world represent. I.E. Peace....what name means peace or what word can you make out of the many that mean peace.

If you want ordinary/silly as in this is just where we live...(in the US we say "The states or the US), but she could live in the kingdom of Shoe bordered by the reaches of String, where it meets with the parched stretches of tarmuck, where no merfolk can survive.

Now if the ocean doesn't matter and it's more equal to the air that we walk through and breath everyday as humans, then why would you give it a proper name? It's water, life sustaining yes, but not worthy of a name.

Hope that helps.......
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
MermaidLover27
Wordtripper

Postby MermaidLover27 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:43 am

In my story there are five oceans but except for the merfolk rule whatever ocean. I am trying to see how the ocean looks when animal like the whale that is in the ocean. I’m also going to write a chapter book when the 3 books are finished with Mia. This will be about Mia’s life and when she was born to the present and the future. In chapter novels do people put character glossaries at the end of the book? Mia does like peace. Yes, Different merfolk have different kinds of hair color and fishtails.

Mermaid Lover27

Mia O'Malley
MermaidLover27
Wordtripper

Postby MermaidLover27 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:48 am

Lynnaria is a planet like Earth and it also has water and land and so swamps in the south places. I am not finished with the first chapter.

MermaidLover27

I will come on Tuesday and Thursday until May 3. How long do people need to stay a member of this site?

Mia O'Malley
throwedmind
Master Tripper

Postby throwedmind » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks, JT, for the nod. And I have to agree with you about Daryl Hannah! I didn't realize how large they can get. As for the self-avowed cannibal, well, let's just leave it at meat is meat no matter where it comes from. Which reminds me, I've got some prawns on the grill that are so huge they just might be mer-children! Mwa ha ha!
MermaidLover27
Wordtripper

Postby MermaidLover27 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 am

I have the ocean creatures for the story and the plants and I also have a list of things that I will put into the story-Bio Pods, Orb lamps, Seashell Chandlelier, and a Seashell and Seaweed Slide.

MermaidLover27

Mia O'Malley

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”