Demonology?

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Demonology?

Postby Delaney » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:37 pm

It's a long, long, story, but I need to find some hardcore sources about demons. I prefer some research from a Christian perspective. I've looked in bookstores but most of them don't carry such things, not to mention the books that DO hardly look credible. I'm not looking for anything to do with witchcraft or the occult; the focus is for any credible, Biblical, and true experiences of demons. I know we have some knowledgable writers here who must know of something that would help me with my research.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:15 pm

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:25 pm

del, you should look in some angel encyclopedias. they have not only angels, but also the demons in them. I have several for my novel, and they're in there. so flip through them at your bookstore to see if the info's there.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:47 pm

Wow X, I would've NEVER thought of that... I have told you two that you are my favorite Wordtrippers, right? Thanks so much... if either of you come across any other resources, fill me in :)
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:56 pm

if you lived closer, i'd let you look at my books. . .if i could remember where I put them.
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 am

Guy used to live in Conn. actually... around New Britian... maybe sometime we could plan something. We go that way alot on the weekends for the infamous dinner parties anyway.
siggidam
Master Tripper

Postby siggidam » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:39 am

well, i was gonna help you out but anblick beat me to it. that's the same reference i have saved as a favorite. it gave me tons of ideas for new stories too. good luck and i'd love to read whatever you're working on. ~sig
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:53 am

Yeah, it's kinda the same think as X recommended, but likely not as detailed. Still, a great reference, though.
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:16 pm

The books Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost are the main contributors to demon mythology, I think picking up those two books would be a major help to your story.
I hope I'm a punk-rocking zombie when I die-

Or at least a headbanging one.

I have a Tumblr now! Thomas Caldwell Novels

or leave a message on my blogspot: Thomas Caldwell Novels
ghostposts
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby ghostposts » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:01 pm

also check jewish mythology and folklore. and don't forget the books in the catholoic bible, especially the book of Tobit, where you can find the story of Asmodeus.

If you look into religions of the middle east, like assyria, persia, ect. You'll find many of the old gods are listed as demons, like Dagon, Astarte, ect.

A good place to gather information on these is the encyclopedai series, Man, Myth and Magic,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083936 ... e&n=283155

look or this series in your library. It's a pretty good one.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:09 pm

:yimhug:

I'm surprised at how little the Net has about demons... or at least what I'm looking for. It's like even the authors who write about the subject tip-toe around specifics by using alot of big words.

Thanks for the suggestions... so far, WTers have been the best at finding informative stuff.
GabrielGadfly
Wordtripper

Postby GabrielGadfly » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Wikipedia has a pretty good list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theological_demons

Each name is linked to its specific Wikipedia entry with more info. Might be useful to you.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Wow, GG, you're really digging up some oldies! :-D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Um, Del, hate to be a bitch about it. But Wicca, Paganism, etc. is credible. For what its worth, there is some to use your words 'credible' works by Raymond Buckland you can look into.

I normally blow stuff like this off, but it tweaked me a bit when you said "credible". I usually don't let stuff get to me, but I guess it touched a nerve. I'm going now. Good luck with your search.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”