banned books

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

banned books

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Anyone know of any good sources on banned books? I'm working on a research project.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:30 pm

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:34 pm

I especially liked this link from the bottom of the Wikipedia link

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksw ... ksweek.htm

and banned books week is NEXT week! :rock:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:43 pm

oh... and HOW is, on the list of top 100 most challenged books, #88... Where's Waldo?!?!?!? WHO wanted to BAN Waldo!?!?!?!?! :shock: :banghead:

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:49 pm

I think in honor of Banned Book week next week I think I'll go and.......read as many of those banned books as I can.

Going through the 100 banned books I have to ask why is A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein and Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford banned? :shock:
Is this my reality or yours?
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:54 pm

Those are some interesting quotes on that site... I'm ecited for banned books week. I wonder how many I can pack in at once.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:14 pm

charlesp wrote:oh... and HOW is, on the list of top 100 most challenged books, #88... Where's Waldo?!?!?!? WHO wanted to BAN Waldo!?!?!?!?! :shock: :banghead:

i asked the SAME thing, charles :shock:

and you are citing the obvious sources I already looked at :P
Behind the Press

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:34 pm

I loved the Chocolate Wars and How to Eat Fried Worms...who on earth would ban those books???
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:28 pm

Chocolate Wars was one of my favorite books too... I love just about anything Robert Cormier.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:01 pm

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou ?????

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee ???????????????!!?!?!?!?
kamikazekelly
Wordtripper

Postby kamikazekelly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:47 pm

If I remember correctly, Where's Waldo was banned because of a teeeny tiny topless sunbather on a beach scene in one of the books.

Really :roll:
my finetuning profile
my Associated Content profile
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:12 pm

I'm sure that most of you were also expecting me to question a few others, but following how so many extremists are in our FREE society, I can actualy see some of the protest (though I agree with ony a few depending on the grade level, i.e. Madonna's sex is fine or College, but not for less)

Lord of the Flies and of Mice and Men I can see being asked because of the quote-un-quote "violence" in them. Nevermind the fact that they speak to a deeper meaning.

To Kill a Mockingbird? You can only object to this if you are a rascist! And if that's the case, you just lost your case! And if you feel otherwise, don't bother responding to me, unless you have a spectacular reason to support racial inequality, I don't want to hear it! On the other hand if YOU DO, I'd love to hear you beliefs that one race is superior to another!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:25 pm

To Kill a Mockingbird? You can only object to this if you are a rascist! And if that's the case, you just lost your case! And if you feel otherwise, don't bother responding to me, unless you have a spectacular reason to support racial inequality, I don't want to hear it! On the other hand if YOU DO, I'd love to hear you beliefs that one race is superior to another!

Nice to know you're not reactionary there Blick :roll: :roll: . You discount the school settings where the subject matter (rape, lynching, etc) may be inappropriate for small children the same as Lord of Flies, Mice and Men, etc. Mockingbird is one of my favorite books of all time, but it's not appropriate for my 8 year old to read it just yet (much like atticus didn't want Scout involved in the situation).

What the list doesn't say is WHAT setting these were requested to be removed... many of them could be requested removed from elementary school setting if it's a library used only by 1st - 3rd Graders...

I'm sure there are many people not wanting X or Y read by their kids of any age... but it's entirely fool-hardy to assume that every one of those books is appropriate for all ages and settings. Removing from a school library is much different than a removal from a public library.

I think instead of removing the books the more appropriate course of action would usually be to have some sort of a waiver or permission slip on controversial books so that they are available, but also to allow the parents some level of control over the accessability to "questionable" material.

CharlesP

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:37 pm

Granted, I did assume this was a high-school level-type thing for the books I chose to question. I even gave a wide birth for those I think shouldn't even be questioned on that level. If TKaM is a MS or ES choice I can see the objections (though don't totally agree with them).

Funniest thing to me, is that I expected to see the Bible on the list based on the extremism goin on in this country. (Nevermind that 70% of the country is middle ground beliefs, but the TWO parties choose extreme candidates!) I'm not trying to be political at all in this post, but neither party seems to want to represent the majority beliefs either way...
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:40 pm

can we please leave politics out of the discussion?
Thank you.
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:51 am

It is mentioned somewhere that some of the most commonly banned books historically are religious works (bible/koran/etc)... but guessing they don't make the ALA list in this country.

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:26 pm

Well, I just went down the list of 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books between 1900-2000, and I have personally read 20 items listed (not sure of the exact number if you count the 5 in the HP series and I've read several of the Goosebumps), and I can see why some of them would be objectionable to younger children, most based on content. For example, The Catcher in the Rye is one of my all-time favorite books, and I reread it about once a year. I was in the 8th grade the first time I read it. And to be honest with you, I didn't understand most of it. However, when I went back reread it in high school, it made more sense. I think a lot of the books are probably on ban lists because the subject matter is greater than the educational level...all though, not the case for most of the books. Instead of having ban lists, maybe books need to come with guidelines similiar to movies and tv...advising parents/teachers/adults that the content may need some explanation. Just my thoughts on this topic.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:28 pm

Oopps...there are 6 books in the HP series...
Rebecca

AlienEeeter
Wordtripper

Postby AlienEeeter » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:34 pm

I can understand why Alvin Shwartz's Scary Stories books are at the top of the list. The art in those things terrified me when I was little. I still loved them though, and I'm glad my parents didnt care what I read.

And Forever (#8 ) is out and out erotica. Which is why I loved it so much as a 12 yr old. I think some places list it under adult fiction, but my library had it in the YA section. I think the bed on the cover should have tipped off my mom, but she never noticed that I checked it out almost every time I went to the library. I like Judy Blume because she doesnt try to 'clean up' what young people do and feel.
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:42 am

I'm surprised Battle Royale wasn't on there. It was a book much like Lord of the Flies published originally in Japan, but the premise was more sick: a class of 42 junior high-school students get tricked into attending a fieldtrip, when, on their bus, they're gassed. They awaken on an island with collars around their necks and are told that they are on the island to kill each other. I just began reading this - it's very engaging - and already there's blood and gore left and right.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:28 pm

CycoMerlin14 wrote:I'm surprised Battle Royale wasn't on there. It was a book much like Lord of the Flies published originally in Japan, but the premise was more sick: a class of 42 junior high-school students get tricked into attending a fieldtrip, when, on their bus, they're gassed. They awaken on an island with collars around their necks and are told that they are on the island to kill each other. I just began reading this - it's very engaging - and already there's blood and gore left and right.

Well, I think they'd have to be on a reading list at a school before they'd be asked to be banned...
junkstory
Wordtripper

Postby junkstory » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:55 pm

CycoMerlin14 wrote:I'm surprised Battle Royale wasn't on there. It was a book much like Lord of the Flies published originally in Japan, but the premise was more sick: a class of 42 junior high-school students get tricked into attending a fieldtrip, when, on their bus, they're gassed. They awaken on an island with collars around their necks and are told that they are on the island to kill each other. I just began reading this - it's very engaging - and already there's blood and gore left and right.

That is indeed a fabulous book, once you get past the wonky translation. It gets quite emotional by the end. The social commentary is really interesting. [I also recommend the film version.]

I think I'm going to count how many of these books I've read and try to increase the number... screw banning.
<i>Some midnight I will meet you in the midst and cross your palm with my mouth.</i>

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”