Rock Music Help

A Place to ask all those probing questions you need answers to so you can finish your story.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Lyric
Wordtripper

Rock Music Help

Postby Lyric » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:26 pm

Hi, Guys. I need some help. I don't listen to rock music, but my angry, racist, misogynistic protagonist does. Can you name a few rock groups and their songs that have jamming lyrics, strong guitar riffs and bass lines? Thanks for your help.
Lyric :wink:
"There is no great genius without some touch of madness" - Seneca
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Oh, my . . . what an open-ended question.

Do you have a time period? If it's fairly modern, you might be talking metal, or something more punkish--although punk tends toward tongue in cheek, often (which could be a nice touch: he takes the lyrics literally?).

Or . . . as an idea . . . "racist" and "misogynistic" are often qualities found in country music . . . although less anger. Not pop country, but honky tonk sort of stuff.

Anyway . . . more details, please . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:47 pm

Perhaps this link will help? Try heavy metal bands, heavy rock and rap bands...

Hellfest '05

http://heavymetal.about.com/b/a/191195.htm#more
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Lyric
Wordtripper

Postby Lyric » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Thanx for the link, Jillstar. I will use that as my first bit of research. Hellfest '05 sounds just right. Excellent! as a matter of fact. This is so cool.

Mudge, oooooh, what great questions. You've given me so much to think about. I think that I am thinking heavy metal. Country doesn't fit him, too mild, too smooth, from what I know of Country music. He grew up very poor, in a racially diverse neighborhood in Baltimore City with angry, racist parents. He seems to be what I think is called a head-banger (forgive me if my terms aren't current or even relevant :oops: ).

The time period is modern, 2005. He takes lyrics literally. He's definitely not punk. I can't figure out why, but I just don't visualize punk for him.
Thank you both so very much for your help.
Lyric
Lyric
Wordtripper

Postby Lyric » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:55 pm

I made a major flubb. I don't know whether this will matter to your response, but it is not my PROtagonist. It is my ANtagonist that is the crazy racist guy.

Sorry. I wasn't thinking clearly. :roll:
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:49 pm

hmmm....heavy metal. well, there's the classic metallica stuff. trying to think of some others. i'm not down with the current metal trends since my banger days were kinda left behind.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:02 pm

Pantera, Biohazard, etc were big back in the 90s... though I guess with Dimebag Darrel getting killed Pantera is out.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:21 pm

well, he can listen to pantera, but not go to a show.
Behind the Press

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:46 pm

Dont forget Megadeth and Slayer... :twisted:

More recent 2003 had Summer Sanitarium (Metallica, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne, Deftones) and annually Ozzy puts on Ozzfest http://www.ozzfest.com/
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:46 pm

And actually, that is an event that could lend some credibility to the character . . . that since Dimebag was killed, he doesn't like listening to Pantera or something . . .

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Lyric
Wordtripper

Postby Lyric » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:02 pm

You guys have given me so much to work with. I think that I will check out the groups with evil/devil-sounding names. I really dig Hellfest. I thought about making up a name like Hellraiser, or something like that, to reflect his personality.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:16 pm

You could always look at Marilyn Manson for five minutes... :wink:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:57 pm

No, then the AUTHOR would be angry . . . not the ANTAGONIST . . .

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Lyric
Wordtripper

Postby Lyric » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:59 am

Oh, yes. I forgot about M. Manson. Good idea.
pierangeli
Wordtripper

Postby pierangeli » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:23 pm

Diamondhead
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Lyric wrote:Thanx for the link, Jillstar. I will use that as my first bit of research. Hellfest '05 sounds just right. Excellent! as a matter of fact. This is so cool.

Mudge, oooooh, what great questions. You've given me so much to think about. I think that I am thinking heavy metal. Country doesn't fit him, too mild, too smooth, from what I know of Country music. He grew up very poor, in a racially diverse neighborhood in Baltimore City with angry, racist parents. He seems to be what I think is called a head-banger (forgive me if my terms aren't current or even relevant :oops: ).

The time period is modern, 2005. He takes lyrics literally. He's definitely not punk. I can't figure out why, but I just don't visualize punk for him.
Thank you both so very much for your help.
Lyric

What about rap? There's quite a bit of misogynist stuff in rap, even if you don't take the lyrics literally... I guess if he's racist, he might tend more towards Leonard Skynard (no offense, he's maybe not racist but has the connotation of being so). Otherwise, Rammstein, Metallica, Megadeth, Mudvayne, In Flames, Cradle of Filth... lots of choices.
I hope I'm a punk-rocking zombie when I die-

Or at least a headbanging one.

I have a Tumblr now! Thomas Caldwell Novels

or leave a message on my blogspot: Thomas Caldwell Novels
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:35 pm

Disturbed is a good band to listen to....also, the band Dime was in when he was killed was called Damageplan. Phil, the ex-lead singer from Pantera is in a band called Down.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
evil_angel
Wordtripper

Postby evil_angel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:08 am

-the killers
-good charlotte
-linkin park
-seether
good and bad are possible!
bad is easy!
good is hard!
why do think i should suffer for for good since bad is cool!
http://cooljuniorwrite.createforum.net/
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 am

I don't really think any of those bands fit what Lyric is looking for, angel.
they're all a bit soft. i know people who are into heavy rock and metal that would never ever listen to any of those bands.
Behind the Press

evil_angel
Wordtripper

Postby evil_angel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:09 am

- venom

bad is easy!

good is hard!

Bibliophile_Sk8erGal
Wordtripper

Postby Bibliophile_Sk8erGal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 am

Okay I'll try. Hope this hasn't been written. I'm a HUGE rock fan!
Blur-song 2

The Clash-london's burning, should I stay or should I go

The all american rejects-move along

Greenday-Holiday, Wake me up when september ends, boulevard of broken dreams, American idiot

Red hot chili peppers-dani california

Linkin park-numb

The Animals-House of the rising sun

Eurythmics-sweet dreams are made of this

Avril Lavigne-complicated

Good Charlotte-The chronicles of life and death

motorhead (don't like them personally but they are a rock band after all)

HIM

sex pistols

Guns and roses

P.O.D. (Payment on death)

The foo fighters

Well I'll list more next time.

xcheck24: btw, you are wrong. I know loads of people who listen to those bands. Even heavy metal fans. Linkin park, good charlotte, the killers and seether aren't soft at all.

Are you even a rock fan to judge?
I am just me.
""To be or not to be, that is the question: whether tis' nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against the sea of troubles, and by opposing end them..."" said Hamlet.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:35 am

Ok, let me begin by stating that I don't feel that All American Rejects, Greenday, Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, and Eurthymics are ROCK bands...they are more punk/pop. As for the remaining bands, I do consider them rock, but they are mainstream rock. I think that this thread was created to research rock music that would inspire a misanthropic villain. I personally wouldn't find a villain bopping around to Avril Lavigne that intimidating. I think that this author needs to dig deep in the underground for rock bands and music that isn't mainstream. There is currently a four-part documentary on VH1 about the history of metal music. This would be a good place to begin. I found it interesting that the bands of the late '70s that were knocked out of prominence by the big hair bands of the '80s felt they were jokes, especially their monster ballads.

Ok...this is my peace on the matter. Good luck with your research, and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 am

A) this thread was started in 2005 and I'm guessing Lyric got the info already, but it's good for the archives were somebody to need similar info in the future.

B) to chime in with bf (and as somebody who ran a punk record label and mail-order that carried everything from Crass and GG to The Skatallites for several years I feel I speak with some authority on the subject of music). NOT Speaking to weather or not these bands are good or bad.

Eurythmics are pop, Avril is pop that wants to think it's punk. Good Charlotte and All American Rejects are pop-punk following in the vein of Green Day who were following in the vein of the Ramones style of punk rock. The Animals are classic rock that wouldn't fall under the moniker "hard" at all. Foo Fighters are a pop-ish version of rock melded with the melodic variety of grunge/punk that Nirvana played (but without Kurt's harsh vocals or lyrics).

None of those are really applicable to the original question because they don't hit the right notes for Lyric's planned antagonist. sex Pistols may have a few lyrics and tone that would work (because they were tongue in cheek and may have addressed some issues that could possibly fit her bill, but would be an unlikely choice and certainly far from the best one). Red Hot Chili Peppers have their moments of lyrical misogony, but again don't really fit the bill (too bouncy and "catchy"). Motorhead may work (though I can't recall any of their lyrics except ace of spades really), but is too "classic" hard rock to fit the bill probably.

There are a couple of bands you listed that may work, not because they're hard but because people who listen to them like to THINK that they're hard. Guns N Roses or Motley Crue would only work on the mysogonistic level and because they had a fan base that always thought they were tougher than they actually were. POD and Linkin Park fall under the newer version of the same idea (people who listen to them think they're harder and rougher than they actually are).

The two bands that come to mind now (though Pantera had some lyrics that would work and Biohazard from that era was pretty crunchy as I recall) are Type O Negative and Cannibel Corpse. Both pretty hard bands musically and lyrically they tried to be as "evil" as possible (they date back to the mid-90s I believe, and I'm not sure who they're successors would be to place a character into a modern context).

edit: looks like both of those two are still active, but Type O is more goth-metal and may not work as much BUT Napalm Death is another band of that era that was very hard. Corpse has a lot of ultra-violent imagery in their songs as well.
Last edited by charlesp on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Bibliophile_Sk8erGal
Wordtripper

Postby Bibliophile_Sk8erGal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 am

ooops sorry :oops:
I am just me.

""To be or not to be, that is the question: whether tis' nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against the sea of troubles, and by opposing end them..."" said Hamlet.
evil_angel
Wordtripper

Postby evil_angel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:10 am

well in anyway he cant start with black metal! that would be too heavy for his ear! he has to start with "just rock"! i guess!
anyway H.I.M and Darkness av cool songs!

bad is easy!

good is hard!

Return to “Writer's Research - Because it's important to know your subject!”