Wordtrip Podcast

Site Announcements
charlesp
Site Admin

Wordtrip Podcast

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:56 am

We've got the second podcast in the can (just not on the site yet), and I realized I hadn't made the formal announcement yet (or forgot if I did). Hopefully once or twice a month we'll be having podcasts with writing advice and ideas, book club discussions, and other random things. We're also looking at options for doing audiobooks of public domain works as well. Go over to http://podcast.wordtrip.com or put this feed address http://feeds.feedburner.com/WordtripPodcast into your podcast program. You can also find us on iTunes podcast directory (easiest way is to just search for Wordtrip).

Happy Wordtripping

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:33 am

So... does that mean it can be downloaded into iTunes??
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:21 am

jillstar wrote:So... does that mean it can be downloaded into iTunes??

Yep, if you've got the last couple of versions of iTunes you just go to the Podcast area (or go to the iTunes music store and click through to podcasts), and then search for Wordtrip and it will bring up a page with our listing and a handy "subscribe" button (or a "get" button if you just want to get one episode). Of course the podcast doesn't cost anything, most don't, it' just integrated into the iTunes music store for ease of use.

If you want to download just the individual episodes you can visit http://podcast.wordtrip.com and click on the "listen to podcast" link in the latest posts. That will download the mp3 file that is the podcast.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:11 pm

Hey... I just went to the link and listened to in right on the laptop.

I like you're 3am voice. :D Errrr. that was you, wasn't it Charles?

I wasn't ready for writing week either. Well... that's not necessarily true. I was ready, I was willing, I was wanting... but it just didn't happen. I ended up with guests and then I was out of state. Excuses, excuses. I have many.

Jill "excuses" Star.

So... did you figure out how we can do this podcast thing as a group or something? Or did you post that and I missed it again.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:54 pm

Charles, this is awesome!!! I'm loving it.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Glad you're liking it guys. I've not figured out how to do it as a group online yet... though I am hoping to at least rope Mudge into a couple of evenings a month getting together to do them as a duo... witty banter is so much easier when bouncing off of a witty person (like mudge :D) than when trying to do it alone.

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:41 pm

That was witty banter :shock: ... errr... I mean, of course that was witty banter.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Hey... I also went in through iTunes and subscribed to the podcasts. I think it will send me new ones automatically now.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:25 pm

jillstar wrote:That was witty banter :shock: ... errr... I mean, of course that was witty banter.

no... it WASN'T... that's my point :P

and yes... iTunes will automatically download the new updates... that's the beauty of the "podcast" format as things like iTunes and iPodder (and iPodderX) will let you subscribe to them so you automatically get updates as soon as they're posted.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:45 pm

OK, I posted the "pronunciation guide" for the Grey King last night... and also recorded (but haven't posted) a few little "Writing Instigators" that I'm hoping to keep a stockpile of and add into each one of the podcasts (they clock in at about a minute each right now, and are just little writing motivators/ideas)... I'm also going to work up some weekly tidbit on writing to go in each podcast... hopefully having 3-5 minutes total of pre-recorded stuff in each one, and then 3-5 minutes of "banter" (witty or not... remains to be seen). Hopefully this will allow me to stockpile some episodes so we can put one out each week.

Which brings me to my next question... would those of you listening prefer to have a couple of shorter ones more frequently? or rather have one "longer" one less frequently. I'm debating in my head having the writing instigators and maybe one other little thing come out as a 2-3 minute thing in the middle of the week and then the writing "essay"s and book club discussion happen in a 5-7 minute weekend edition. Of course it remains to be seen if I can keep up that regular of a schedule, but we are gradually growing in listeners... so we'll see.

CharlesP

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:09 pm

Veeeerrrrry Interrrrresssssting! Of course my antediluvian equipment isn't the best for listening but I managed.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:39 pm

I'm thinking the "shorter" thing would work...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 pm

Why not a "combination" - plan to do the longer one say once a month (and of course you'd need to make sure you had the material set aside for it before doing "supplemental" shorter ones with spur-of-the-moment bonus podcasts).

So, for those of us that don't subscribe to services like iTunes, is there a way to be notified of new stuff other than seeing it posted here or visiting the podcast site often?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:12 pm

Anblick wrote:So, for those of us that don't subscribe to services like iTunes, is there a way to be notified of new stuff other than seeing it posted here or visiting the podcast site often?

There are a plethora of RSS news readers out there, many of which are podcasting capable... iPodderX for the Mac, JuiceReceiver (formerly iPodder) for all formats... I think I can also set it up as an e-mail notification as well (just have to figure out what that would take to automate it). The iTunes way is probably the easiest, and as iTunes is a free bit of software, and the podcasts are all free, and it's a very easy bit of software to use, it's by far the most common one out there... but I also believe that Audible.com is planning on adding some podcasting features for it's customers as well... just not sure when or how they're going to do it.

OR, if you use my.yahoo.com you can add the wordtrip podcast feed to your page if you go to "Add content" and then click on "Add RSS by Url" (it's right beside the "FIND" button)... and then just cut and paste
http://feeds.feedburner.com/WordtripPodcast
into the box and add it to your my.yahoo.com page you're golden :D it looks like you can even listen to it from yahoo's page as well...

CharlesP

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:16 pm

Thanks, CP. Hopefully audible gits-r-done soon! Until then, I'll add it to "my Yahoo!" One thing I just noticed, the volume level seems extremely low on my laptop (which I can watch DVDs on just fine). I can actually get it loud enough on my desktop due to the powered speakers. Anyway to "bump" the volume of the file?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:20 pm

Anblick wrote:Thanks, CP. Hopefully audible gits-r-done soon! Until then, I'll add it to "my Yahoo!" One thing I just noticed, the volume level seems extremely low on my laptop (which I can watch DVDs on just fine). I can actually get it loud enough on my desktop due to the powered speakers. Anyway to "bump" the volume of the file?

Sadly that's one of the things I've been futzing with to no great avail... not sure what my exact problem is... but I am working on it.

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:29 pm

I also have a slight hearing problem which doesn't make it any better. :roll: I could prolly get it off my laptop with headphones, just hoping for something not quite as "work" like...
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:44 pm

Well, I was just playing with a secondary audio editor I've not had any luck using to do the recordings, but it does seem to work to raise volume level and eliminate noise/static... though it makes the voice sound a little funky right now... I may post the first "mini" one tonight just to get a feel for how it will work out for listeners.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:42 am

for me the volume was fine for the first podcast but The Grey King Pronounciation guide was very low.

and cp that is NOT what I thought you sounded like :shock:
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:37 am

OK, I've got volume and cleaned up sound taken care of...

Try http://podcast.wordtrip.com/mp3/TheGreyKingTakeTwo.mp3 on for size if you're so-inclined...

and if it would make you feel better Gwenn I could try and do the podcast sounding like Pepe (my avatar... the french accented king prawn from the muppets) :D

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:30 am

pengwenn wrote:and cp that is NOT what I thought you sounded like :shock:

Well Pen... if you want to know how Mudge sounds... listen to Charles; remarkably, I find they sound similar. :shock:
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:34 am

Well, we get that a lot actually... so it could be very STRANGE when we're both doing this thing as it might sound like one of us talking to himself :shock:

CharlesP

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:47 am

Oh Great! Now I'll always be wondering if you're just talking to yourself all the time!

Wait a minute... hmmm...

Maybe you and Mudge are actually the same person and you just did an amazing muppet trick... you do seem to favor mupets lately. Ahem! Do we even have a picture with both of you in it?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:47 pm

Much better CP!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:22 am

OK, tonight I posted a quicky podcast with just a little "Writing Instigator" in it...

Return to “Announcements”