New Wordtrip home page

Site Announcements
charlesp
Site Admin

New Wordtrip home page

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:14 pm

OK guys, just a quick note on the update. The front page will be changing a bit over the next few days. Right now you'll see that we've moved the topics from the Coffee Shop and Bar into their own scrolling "Recent Topics" type box on the right hand side of the screen. You can also see what forum a topic is posted to. Further updates to come.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:14 pm

hey, charles, i like it! but now it's bumped down the "who's online" box!!!
(wonder if anyone will be happy where you put it, tho)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:50 pm

well... things will keep moving around a bit as we test them out... so... we'll see :D

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
royal_blueyes
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby royal_blueyes » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:31 pm

Nice ideas Charles, like the idea of showing where a post was located.

The only thing i question is having the offtopic threads scroll. I end up looking at the list and not knowing which someone might have just replied to. Seems more natural to just refresh and see the most recent posts at the top of the box.

Great job with the site :clap:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:43 pm

CP, just sent you the updated story points files...
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:59 pm

royal_blueyes wrote:The only thing i question is having the offtopic threads scroll. I end up looking at the list and not knowing which someone might have just replied to. Seems more natural to just refresh and see the most recent posts at the top of the box.

Great job with the site :clap:

Thank ye, thank ye... the thinking behind the scrolling is mainly so it takes up less space on the page (you can fit 10 recent topics in that box with it scrolling and only 1-3 without it...). BUT we're looking at how it's working and we'll make adjustments accordingly (took me for-freaking-EVER to get it to split it off into two boxes... the rest is the "easy" part).

CharlesP

royal_blueyes
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby royal_blueyes » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:04 pm

yeah, a forum i used to visit had done the same thing splitting the offtopic posts into a seperate box below the main box. Worked great once everyone got used to it.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:12 pm

Oooh Charlie I like when the right side is bigger and the middle columns are small and still.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Erin Lemley
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Erin Lemley » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:25 pm

I like! I like!
Fasten your seatbelts. It makes it harder for the aliens to zap you from your car!
Debangel
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Debangel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:56 pm

I'm getting adjusted
I'm sloooooooow like a turtle so don't hold onto your hat for it won't fall off.

Because the love that is in us is greater than the hate that is in the world, then no weapon formed against us can prosper.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:03 pm

Charles, is there a way to "reverse" the scroll direction (for if you "just miss" the one you want)? It's not too long a wait for it to return, but kind of frustrating when you "just" miss it...
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:40 pm

I like it
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:03 pm

Anblick wrote:Charles, is there a way to "reverse" the scroll direction (for if you "just miss" the one you want)? It's not too long a wait for it to return, but kind of frustrating when you "just" miss it...

Well... if you mouse over the link to the thread it stops the scrolling... and tonight I discovered that something I did made it where my scroll wheel on my mouse controlled it... but I'm not sure what I did :D I'll look into it.

CharlesP

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:24 pm

Well, I'm just thinkning of direction arrows you can click in case you can't "get there in time" to stop the scrolling. And I can't get the scroll mouse to affect it at all...

Just an idea, I'm happy either way...
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:15 am

I still like it
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:21 am

thanks hyker... :D

Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:23 am

I didn't see a problem with the scrolling. All you have to do is move the cursor over it and it stops for you. Nice.

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:01 am

well... you'll now see a new background and such for the logo and quick reply area... I'm not sure if we'll keep them... but we'll test them out for a couple days and see what people think :D

Return to “Announcements”