What are you listening to?

A lovely place to chat, post word games, escape momentarily from your writing, or just hang out.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Thunder-Grizzlies Game 3
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 pm

An old woman grumble...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 am

The golden girls & moms tears
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 am

The sound of the wind howling outside my window
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Bones
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Earlier I had an inexplicable notion to put in the only Grateful Dead CD I've ever owned... enjoyed it once though and now I'm done and back to Hepcat. Interesting, to me, is that my 7yo daughter enjoys the 90s TV show The Flash which featured Alex Desert as Barry's friend, and who is/was also a member of Hepcat which the same daughter just asked to have put on her iPod. (I'm really not sure I punctuated that sentence correctly, but I'm too tired to go back and figure out a correct way of saying that)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Lol...yeah I luv it when things come full circle. My niece is into the black veil brides and William control...we were at one of their concerts and William control opens with Willie Wonka's "pure imagination" think I was the only one who knew all the words to this...he was very impressed (with my off-key singing) ;)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I had the fantastic and humbling experience of going to see The Slackers a week or so ago. In 96 several members of the band crashed on my floor when they were on a budget tour... we were all in our early 20s then. I love that they're still touring and putting out music, though I'm also feeling very "dad" when I worry about how old they're getting and how does the equivalent of a middle-class band put together a retirement.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Lol yeah wait to you get in your forties and the bands you used to love are drinking ensure lol!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm

A) I'm not that far from 40s...
B) I'm going to go see The Toasters next weekend and though I knew the leader of the band Buck back in the 90s when I was 20, he was around 40 then... though I do have the benefit of being a fan of bands that were only a couple years older than I mostly (or, ya know, dead young... unless you count The Ramones who are almost all dead)

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Lol...I saw Aerosmith not too long ago (in town not in concert) and wondered when they got sooo old!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 pm

So after dental work this morning and an argument with my teenager my foul mood continues: grumpy, morose, on edge. I've reached the part of this process where I'm frantically searching through my music catalog to find something that will scratch the right itch and pull me through it. Of course I'm also now curious if my odd urges for particular music the last couple days was a leading indicator for an oncoming mood, or even related at all.

So far this afternoon I've gone through Nirvana, Squirtgun, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Sophie Madeleine, Two Door Cinema Club, and now I have an inexplicable desire to listen to Erasure (though I have to don't have Erasure in my library so I'm picking random albums in iTunes till something "works"... right now it's Agent-99).

Update #1:I've moved on to All, Agnostic Front, Bo Diddley, The Smugglers, The Hi-Fives, and now The Queers (I forgot I had found a bunch of my punk mp3s recently till I started hunting. Most of the Queers' stuff I had on vinyl but I bought a bunch of it on mp3 a decade (plus?) ago from eMusic and just found a backup).

Update #2: my random hunt through the iTunes library has just stumbled upon what is supposedly Devo doing Head Like a Hole.

Update #3: I just realized that a LOT of these mp3's were ones I may have downloaded while I was working overnight at Amazon from my eMusic account (and a suspect a few of these bootleg live tracks may have been from Napster too). I realized this because I just came across Bif Naked's Moment of Weakness and I associate hearing that song with working there for whatever reason.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:48 pm

NCIS on the tv, maroon 5 on my headphones
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't know if anyone else is on Spotify (and if you like music, you should be!), but this is my ever-growing random "this is what I like" playlist:
http://open.spotify.com/user/jenconnic/ ... zABfBqQk94

I have whittled some stuff off there, but I'm also adding stuff all the time.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Cool! Will check it out, better than listening to my sneezing from a head cold
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 pm

I listen almost exclusively to audiobooks right now. I'm on http://www.goodreads.com if you want to keep up with my books. I'm currently listening to Richard Matheson's Noir (He's best known for I Am Legend) and Justin Cronin's The Passage (Refreshing everything before starting the sequel).
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 pm

I've been listening to the audiobook of Lev Grossman's The Magician King the last few days and LOVING it... the reader is fantastic and I think my description of the story is: if you tried to get Kevin Smith (profanity, witty dialogue, and pop culture) and Joss Whedon (witty dialogue and pop culture) to write a more modern Narnia (with all of the preaching removed) you might get something like this. Of course I was a couple discs into it before I realized it was the second book in the series so I'm going to listen to them out of order, but oh well.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 am

Well I do morning wellness meditations and when I can't sleep, I listen to soothing instrumentals with relaxation undertones 😎
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Maroon 5
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 am

I like the harder stuff myself... listened to some Five Finger Death Punch yesterday... but I like me some Stevie Ray Vaughan, Shinedown, Adele, Metallica, Nat King Cole, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, Godsmack, Eve 6, The Cars, too many to name. My music choice is always mood driven.

Honestly though... when I'm doing my best poetry writing, it's dark and thus I'm listening to harder music. Godsmack brings out some great poems. :twisted:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 am

Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch...
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 pm

My dog scratching at the door
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 am

Black River by Dean Koontz
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture