Poets - What are your thoughts?

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Poets - What are your thoughts?

Postby JillStar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Just wondering who all is visiting allpoetry and how you're liking it. So far, I'm mostly impressed. There are a few people I can't relate to, but that's normal, I guess.

I find it interesting how many people are from Australia or England vs. in the states... a great way to meet people across the world. I've come across a few poet's sites that I just can't read because of the background or because I'm in a different world, I suppose.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:28 pm

so long as we use the "contests" as more inspiration than to actually win, it is good. not to toot my own horn but some of the "winners" of the ones i've "entered" aren't always the greatest pieces of poetry entered. but to each their own, the "judges" like what they like.

i wish they didn't make you pay to add pictures... but then it is a poetry site not a website.

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm

It must cost big bucks to keep a site that complicated running, I guess. I know, and it really bugs me when some of them can't spell or put together a cohesive thought. But here, mostly, as you say judging is a very subjective thing. In the cases of certain ones though, like Danny Beatty and his wife Wanda, and also Blue Rew you're running into really accomplished competition. I'd rather "show" in one of theirs than get a gold from a sixteen year old, who encourages me to "keep on writing" hahaha.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:23 pm

That is so true... I've come across some that just want to get the attention of running their own contest. Granted... I may want to do that some day just for the fun of it so I can see the draw.

I did read one person's comment in a contest they were running that stated she was trying hard not to only pick her favorites but that it was difficult as that was why they were her favorites. You almost have to NOT look at who wrote it in order to judge fairly.

As to pictures, MS and I have our own free account at a picture site, which will work, but the reader MUST click the link in order to get a feel for what the poem is about. Still... I've noticed comments on mine where a person said they did click the link, so maybe that's fine.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Sure...better than not being able to do it at all...like me. :) I just don't know how to do all those things, have learned to grope my way around the computer with no help and SO much I don't know about that it would be discouraging if I thought about it too long.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 am

I almost feel as if we're betraying WT. Not only have I drawn many of you over to AP, but we're talking about it here on WT! :oops:

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 am

No, mae, we're still trying to keep it alive by coming and by still keeping the poetry thread going. But writers need interest and exchange and these things have rather ground to a halt here.

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Honestly, though... I think WT was created more as a place for writing stories and non-fiction but that part has seemed to slow to an absolute stand still (mostly) and all that is left is poetry. Where we are going now is strictly for poetry. I'm hoping one day WT will pick back up to what it once was... a place for all writers.

Or... maybe one day it should be chopped down to a specific type of writing. Perhaps only writing groups or something like that. Who knows.

Anyway... I am over there for my poetry but keep WT in my thoughts. :)

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”