POEMS REVISITED

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

POEMS REVISITED

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Starting this thread just because J.B. and I are discussing past poems. This is the one I was thinking about. It's a Quotella...on a quote from John Vance Cheney

FINDING BEAUTY

THE grief and joy of hurrying years
SOUL-deep of roots, soon dried of tears,
WOULD have no depth had I known no pain,
HAVE been weak with no lash from the hurricane.
NO life can be entirely song,
RAINBOW to rainbow all day long.
HAD I no trials to make me strong,
THE heart might lack some inner grace.
EYES sharpen sight in a darkened place.
NO vain regrets for old wounds are mine;
TEARS are the prisms where colors shine.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:44 pm

that is a good poem. I really like the last line.. It is very soulful. I have never attempted a Quotella(?). Maybe do a challenge on one? I could try a stab at it
"So. You're famous?"

My son to Kinky Friedman at the author's book signing.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 pm

There are many acrostic-type poems. The name Quotella was coined in the 70's by Sylvia Argow, a member of the New York Poetry Forum. She also created a form that she called the Argonelle.
We may have tried a quotella at some time in the challenges but no law against trying another. :)

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:17 pm

ok...since this went over my head when i read it...i guess i didnt realize it was a challenge..oh well. things just do that nowadays.

i will work on it, Mlou. j.b
"So. You're famous?"

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

No, actually it wasn't particularly a challenge..just something we'd been discussing, in the way of past poems so I put it on here. You can post any of your past poems that you want to, on this page.
Work on a quotella, if you're in the mood, and maybe we WILL have it as part of a challenge this week or next. You'll have a head start. :)

JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 am

ok. I was attempting last night to do the one you had above (so successfully I might add). Got stuck pretty fast. THE was an issue. So I started from the bottom up :oops: to see if I could do that. After a while of head banging I had to soak not only my hands in ice, but my head too (haha-kidding--about the head part).

I think if I can't get something good out of this one, maybe I will try to find another quote to use. Poe should be on target for my mood right now :evil: :-P
"So. You're famous?"

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:07 am

By all means, find a quote that inspires you. And if you're new at it, find a short one..it's easier. :)

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”