The Plethora of Poetry Sites

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby JT » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:49 pm

But, of course, your sheer talent earned it.

P.S. I entered the one sentence contest too.
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Good! It's great to enter stuff here and there..gives one something to be interested and hopeful about. I've entered a whole bunch, one or 2 at a time as I look in there. Hey, my second day I won a gold trophy! lol Now I just have to get my ancient brain to figure out the points, stars, applause and how you get and give it, etc.
But mae is right...there is action there and comments are made more frequently, especially if you comment also.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Mlou and JT, at AP, near the top of the page, right by Edgar Allen Poe's raven, you'll see "Read". Hover your mouse over that and you'll get a menu of different categories to read. Also, over to the far right of the screen is the "featured" box - an object of much controversy - where authors pay points to have you look at and comment on their poetry. Comments on poems are added at the bottom of each poem.

Points are like AP money except they don't mean anything and they don't buy anything, really. They're just kind of fun to get. You have to have them to host contests.

Applause should be self-explanatory. If you think a poem deserves them, you award up to three "clappies" - or applause.

The stars are like applause for the comments you are given. I think we all agree there are comments that are worth more or mean more to us than others. By increasing the stars awarded for a comment, you signal to the commentor how much you valued their comment. I give stars only occasionally - most of the time, I forget them.

At the top of any page, you will see a link to your profile page (My Page). If you hover over that, you get a menu and on that menu there is a link to "favorites". If you go to that page, you can see who has added you as a favorite, as well as your own favorites. When you have someone listed as a favorite, you receive a notification each time that person posts a new poem or journal entry.

If you have other questions, let me know. I've been on AP for a couple of years or so, so I pretty much know my way around - mostly. :-D

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm getting there slowly. Posted things in the wrong place at first but seem to be getting the hang of it. I haven't bothered with putting my stuff in categories. What good is that? But I've entered a lot and got some trophies...although when I see what entries have won some of them, I'm dumbfounded. But much depends upon each judge's tastes, I'm sure. Have successfully avoided the blood,gore, and cutting and found some excellent poetry there. AND I don't have to worry about being the oldest dinosaur there...have found one 89-year old gentleman still poetizing away.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah, I don't bother with categories, either. And it is TRULY puzzling why some poems win contests and others don't.

The contests are fun, aren't they? Even if you don't win, they make it interesting. There is at least one person on the AP board who doesn't like the idea of trophies and has introduced "challenges." It's sort of like here, but not as good as here. Lot more people enter, however.

I think contests should be a regular feature here, not just when I want to start one.

mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 pm

I think if they were, we might get more response. But we lack prizes to offer, unless we got into the virtual kind. And I'm sure it's not set up for anything that elaborate, unfortunately.
Yes, I AM enjoying the contest and the fact that there's so often response to a poem. I have run out of my gold membership and, as I do NOT use my credit card on the net, I must stay with the free membership. I might not mind contributing occasionally, if I stay and like it, but this generation does not understand checks that come on actual paper. :-D

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:04 pm

i shall have to check out this infamous AP site now. It can be frustrating (and i am TOTALLY guilty of this) when you post a poem and there are no comments whatsoever. Then, i personally start to second guess myself - was it awful? am i that boring? did anyone even bother to read it? i mean it's all well and good to use poetry as a therapeutic form but it's 150% better if it is at a minimum acknowledged.

i would be happy to set up a contest here - maybe quarterly... but the issue is that even when we do, the site is so slow to move now that we usually only get 3 or 4 entries.

i'd love to have this back the way it used to be. i was totally addicted... i think you hit is on the head mae when you called it feeling like a "stuffy old library" - what can we do to change it???

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, mlou, AP doesn't offer a REAL prize, just a pretty colored picture of a trophy beside your poem. I know that would require some effort on Charles' part to do, but if it were an avenue to increased traffic on WT, it might be worth it.

And I'm a free member of AP.

I don't think there are any quick fixes. Ascent is always slower than decline and breaking out of past molds is hard so re-ascent is even slower. But it's a worthy endeavor. Let's all think on it and do some brainstorming. We always seem to do better when we all pitch in.

mae

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm

I do think more "presence" of the head honchos would help, and ESPECIALLY some updating of the main page. Periodically I invite write-minded friends to come here but truly have been embarrassed by the out-of-dateness of what should be the showcase page.
Ms is right, the traffic is so slow now that a contest would probably fail for lack of participants. Like Ms, I too was addicted and miss it as it used to be.

JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby JT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 pm

mae wrote:The contests are fun, aren't they? Even if you don't win, they make it interesting.

Yes. The AP site is fun, and I've come across some really good poetry...and some really bad. But it is fun. That's the main thing. The concept of points seems to work well. I, like, Mlou am not comfortable with giving out my credit card info to strangers, but a free membership is fine for me. I am not giving up WT (unless and until it gives up on me), but maybe something can be done. I gave one suggestion. And, ms, where do you post your poems here. If you do it on the main board I will comment.
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:43 am

So, JT and mae, what are your names at AP? Message me if you don't want to post them here, please.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:54 pm

I don't mind. It's not terribly original - Celticqueen.

mae

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”