The Plethora of Poetry Sites

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

The Plethora of Poetry Sites

Postby Mlou » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Bored and looking for some fresh poetry to peruse, I've been checking out the oh-so-numerous poetry sites on the web. Went from bad to verse, as the saying goes. Have given up in disgust after reading the efforts of scores of "writers" who don't seem to have an original thought, or even take the time to check their spelling/usage or, if that's their weakness, get a friend to do it for them.

Numerous sites offer such things as "Golden Pen Awards" for poems judged by others on those forums. I thought, "Oh, good, these should be excellent." Alas, not so. It appears the judges can't spell either. It leaves me mourning the absence of all those good poets we have had here on WordTrip in the past, and wishing that they would return to enliven our threads again.

Meanwhile, if anyone has discovered one or more poetry sites with fresh, original work, and writers who engage in lively discussion of same, I'd be delighted to have you to post it here.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

new thoughts?

Postby JB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:52 pm

i don't know Mlou. Are there any original thoughts out there anymore?

I think so...

I think. :cry:

Well wait a minute. I think that I have thought of an original thought.

Nevermind.

The original thought has now left the building (ie my head). I hate chemo sometimes. Makes me forget stuff (ok...worse than b4 when i wasn't on it. geesh)

oh well...Not to fret though, Mlou. I will try to think of or find some old stuff to put on here.
"So. You're famous?"

My son to Kinky Friedman at the author's book signing.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Indeed many may come up with the same thoughts over time but the possibility remains of a fresh, unhackneyed way of expressing them. The viewpoint of the writer should be uniquely hers/his.
I looked into a LOT of the threads out there and was :shock: :( :? shocked/disappointed/unbelieving of what was being praised as "poetry". Of course, quite a few of the sites were just mutual admiration societies, telling each other what great talent they all had. Or maybe I'm just a persnickety grouch. :D

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:12 pm

ok..maybe my color thingy wasn't really poetry...I have never been sure where to put it ...or how to catagorize it :wink:
"So. You're famous?"

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Of course, it's poetry! Now it needs a title.....

JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Well.. The Crayon was it. I know I should be able to think of something better-will have to work on it. j.
"So. You're famous?"

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Gotta run now. Try to be back later.

JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby JT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Mlou wrote:Of course, quite a few of the sites were just mutual admiration societies, telling each other what great talent they all had.

There was a really good poetry site sometime ago that came to naught when a so-called "co-owner" took over. Oh well. I don't consider myself a good poet, but like to post on the main WT poetry board now and then. I don't know why there is so little activity on the poetry board of this site, but do know I have met someone here who is not only a great writer, but also a very special person. Guess who. How is that for a one-man "admiration society"? I will continue to visit this site for that reason alone. I also am sorry for my past sins here and am striving to be a better person.
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I don't know why there's so little activity either, JT. Makes me a little sad. A few of our best poets of former times encountered personal problems and/or major changes in their lives, that precluded their continuing here. I do miss their excellent work. Others tried it for a while, lost interest in poetry and went on to other fields, I assume. We have very few "regulars" now..perhaps 4 or 5, and even these don't pop in daily as they once did.
Because some folks feel the need of a "jump start", we keep the Tuesday Poetry Challenge going, with but a few takers. Even if you don't need a jump start..and you don't..you might give it a shot occasionally just to encourage participation. That would please me.
Anyway, do post the info. on any other sites you visit, that have interesting poetry. I remember there was one you particularly liked but I'm not sure I found it among those I looked at.
As for "past sins", everyone has them. One just leaves them behind and gets on with life. Regrets are futile and what we do now is what counts. At least in my philosophy. :)

JT

Postby JT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:56 pm

The poetry site I liked is the one I mentioned above. It was great until a little Napolean got involved and hundreds of the members (the vast majority)either quit or were banned for disagreeing with him. Oh well.

My philosophy about past sins is borrowed from the 12 step programs. First, admit them to God. Second, try to make amends the best we can unless doing so would cause more harm than good. On that note, I apologize to Mae and Jillstar for my past, wholly unecessary nastiness towards them. I have no excuses.

I also am seeing my so-called poetry (some of which has been praised by "mutual admiration society" sites) for what it is much more clearly now.
JT

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:24 pm

The worst of it is, he was probably a lousy poet. :-D

Kind of what I meant. And once you've sincerely apologized, and recognized any hurt or injustice done, and have tried to make amends...you move on. You do not dwell on it, in an agony of remorse. You merely let the knowledge soften the edges in future interactions. But you move on, as they say, sadder but wiser.

And never disparage your poems. A poem has meaning for its creator, and perhaps other meanings for those who read. That's the beauty of poetry...very open to interpretations in the light of the varied perceptions of its readers.
There are poets who really want to learn and grow, and accept criticism no matter how hard it may be to swallow...we all think our efforts are near perfection :) ... and then there is the "MAS" mentioned above, who look only for fulsome praise and think they don't need to grow...they're perfect already. I try to avoid these, unless I can truthfully point out something good in it.

JT

Postby JT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:58 pm

No, the worst of it is that he was/is an excellent writer and very helpful, but only on his own vulgar terms.

I really want to learn and grow, and accept constructive criticism no matter how hard it may be to swallow. That gosh darn Memoriam poem is still kicking around. I cut about half of it out. I will post it and hope you can help me finally finish with it . . . or give up. You will recognize it when you see it. A little barter here. In exchange, I will participate in the next poetry challenge.
JT

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:00 pm

lol JT you do know how to push my buttons! :D
No need to wait..check out the last few.

JT

Postby JT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Dear Lady, I carefully chose the word "next" but will have a look-see anyways.
JT

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Okay, might be something there to comment on...or not. Mae has been missing for a few days, so perhaps something new will materialize when she returns. A few poets have posted a poem or two on their own threads, I believe.

JT

Postby JT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 pm

No intention to step on any toes, but

Mlou wrote:their own threads

just could be a problem for attracting new members.

There are now quite a few of these "threads," which are really collections. A thread starts with one post (poem) and comments follow. Putting aside that only threads, not collections, are allowed at other sites, ask yourself where a poet checking out this site will go to see if they are interested in joining. The main poetry board, of course. The collections, if broken down and posted in individual threads, will then become accessible to prospective members to look at a poem at a time and also gauge the quality of feedback. Not to forget, of course, there would then be many more poems (i.e. activity) for prospective members to consider in deciding whether to join. Other items too could be moved to the main board. I realize the collection concept, non-existent on other sites, may well be a sacred cow. But, if so, there should be no complaints about lack of activity here.
JT

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:54 pm

JT, you apologized. Does that mean I can't use this really big stick I found to beat you about the head and shoulders? Oh well, it's too heavy, anyway. I'd probably hurt myself trying. :D

I frequent another poetry board, lately on a much more regular basis than here. It is a lively place, and, yes, mlou, it's full of bad poets and those who think they are good poets. But with a little effort, I've found some really, REALLY good poets there.

Why do I go there more than here? Because it's more active. It's kind of a circle, I guess. But there are contests and classes and forums - not necessarily about poetry. Do you know, the only time we have contests here is when I want to have one? I know running a website is a lot of work, not to mention expensive, but it seems like there could be "things" offered that would attract more people. We often have visitors here - usually when I'm the only member on (For example, right now I'm the only registered member here, but there are 9 visitors.) Also, a little quicker attention to website things would be good. (Not complaining, Charles, just saying...)

I love the calm, respectful atmosphere here, but it does remind me of a stuffy library where the other site is more like a busy coffeehouse. I've got many poems that I've posted here that have never ever been commented on. Now, I'll be the first to admit to you that my own commenting has gone down a lot (quite a bit of that is because of reactions from two gentlemen when I left well-meaning reviews on their work.) I don't believe in giving fluffy reviews, so it's often safer to leave none. But then no one comments and, let's face it, everyone wants people to read and comment on their work.

Like I said, it's rather like a circle.

mae

P.S. JT, despite my earlier joke, you were forgiven as soon as you came back. The apology is like a hug. Thank you. mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Mae and JT...check out a thread in the coffeeshop (I think it is)entitled What's happened to Wordtrip? This very thing is being discussed and, I think, missed by many because it's not on the main board. I mentioned as much there and other reasons for the "moribundity" around here.

And mae, I think that thread is one that I quite often used to go to but I had lost the URL to it and haven't been able to find it again. Why didn't you post it here, as I was hoping a few would post such suggestions. Perhaps a little competition from other sites might liven us up again.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Mae...the fact is that most of those "visitors" are automatic drones that cruise the web looking into sites at random. At least that's what CP and others said at one time.

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 pm

The other site I frequent is AllPoetry.com. You'll have to wade through a lot of awfulness to get to the good stuff - a lot of teen angst, cutting, suicide and just bad writing. But some of it is just kids who have potential and need practice and guidance. It's worth wading through. Look around the site and see if there are areas you like.

mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Mlou wrote:Mae...the fact is that most of those "visitors" are automatic drones that cruise the web looking into sites at random. At least that's what CP and others said at one time.

Really? :shock: What would drones find on a writing site? Do they steal the writing?

mae

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 am

I think that's how little snips and quotes get onto Google, etc. I've seen posts of mine from here, listed under my name on Google...which I check out occasionally because sometimes it's a shock to see who/what is using something I've written. I've found poems of mine psted on other sites and excerpts from articles turning up in the darnedest places. :shock:

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:19 am

Mae...I did go to AllPoetry. Really large, spread out site. Will take me quite a while to navigate. And I don't understand the points and stuff. But it seems like fun and somewhere to exercise poetic muscles (in spite of, as you said, some pretty awful stuff, grammar etc.) I did find some excellence as well, so I'm happy.
So I did a couple of things...entered a closing contest and got an H.M. lol And looked you up. Nice page! I'm hopeless at any elaboration of background, font, etc. so for me it's default all the way. :)

JT

Postby JT » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:52 pm

How do you find the forum where poetry that is up for comment is posted? I am thoroughly confused. Thanks.
JT

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:20 pm

JT, I'm more or less bumbling around in there. I don't think there's one "forum" for critiquing. The place to comment/critique is at the bottom of each posted poem. And those seem to be posted everywhere. I clicked on contests, and any there that I liked I left a note or critique, and I entered a few just to get my feet wet. But I'm not doing much of that yet, just cruising around and dipping in here and there. I joined yesterday and today got a notice that someone added me to their "favorite" list...whatever and wherever that is, and what I did to earn that accolade, I have no idea. lol

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”