My Dogs Are Paranoid Too

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

My Dogs Are Paranoid Too

Postby JT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:46 pm

I painted the windows black
but the demons still knock.
From the corners of my eyes
I see them, then they move.

My family's asleep and dreaming,
names whispered through a crack.
With blinds and covers drawn tight,
false security outlines a crime scene.

Twelve gauge shotgun with pumpkin
slugs
The windows are gone,
wife and children dead.

I scream in horror; my dogs bark too.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Well, JT, what can I say? You know it's not my scene so I'm not qualified to make comments or suggestions.
Nice to see you popping in though. :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JT

Postby JT » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Mlou wrote:Well, JT, what can I say?

Well, Mlou, how about strange? It is about extreme paranoia. Then in a dissociative state, the narrator blows out the windows and murders his family, then wakes up from his blackout and screams in horror, leaving the poor dogs very paranoid indeed. You know me. I like the strange and weird and this and the other one are the only work by me in 2010 that I am proud of (no matter how poorly written). Very hard subject matter to write about . . . time-consuming . . . and if you find it original, nothing would please me more.

P.S. I have missed you in my old age.
P.P.S. The Shining is not an influence here. I have never been able to make it through more than 15 minutes of that movie.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Oh, yes...strange is one good word. :) I just have no experience with paranoia...you know me, Perpetual Pollyanna! It's an "uncomfortable" poem. Yes, original, but horrible subject matter, which I suppose is what draws you, with your fascination for the weird and the black side of the symbol. At least you're writing!
Keep it up. Maybe eventually you'll even produce one for Pollyanna....but probably not. *grin*

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JT

Postby JT » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Mlou wrote:It's an "uncomfortable" poem. Yes, original, but horrible subject matter, which I suppose is what draws you

Oh my, where is Lilac? This subject matter would be right up her alley. I miss her dearly. I think I am going to post (or repost?) my tribute poem to her, I Love Spaghetti.
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 am

JT, shouldn't it be "pumpkin shells"? The double entendre is irresistible.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:49 am

lol Lilac gotcha, JT!

JT

Postby JT » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Mlou wrote:lol Lilac gotcha, JT!

Well, she got me by showing up here. ESP? So glad to see her posts. A pumpkin slug is found within a shotgun shell. It cannot be shot alone. So she is right, but I am too since the terminology is a pumpkin slug or pumpkin ball and not pumpkin shell.

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”