NEW POETRY CONTEST - Deadline Oct 9 - WT kudos awarded!

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:55 am

The poem decided it wanted to be a sestina when it grew up ... so, one stanza written, five more and the envoy to go ... my muse has a sick sense of humor.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:27 pm

okay well I have a really cool prose poem that I want to submit, but it does not exactly follow the rules, so I am assuming it would be better not to enter it.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 am

What rules, funk? It simply has to address 9/11 in some way. That's the only rule. mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 am

exactly funky and we'd love to have your contribution - and hey, welcome back!!! hopefully we'll see you around here more often

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:54 am

Well that's the problem. It is an abstract, very abstract, view of September 11th and not sure it will make much sense.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

-Rita Mae Brown

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:19 am

Well, I almost never understand abstract poetry. BUT I will defend to the death your right to compose it. Come on funk, post it! Good Luck.

mae,

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:02 am

Alright I sent it to you, but I did warn that it is very abstract.

-Rita Mae Brown

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:44 pm

How are we doing with entries, mslover? Tomorrow's the deadline; do we have enough for a decent contest? mae

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:03 pm

Ah, yes... do we need an extension? This may have been a difficult one just because it was, or could be, so serious.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:30 pm

So, what have we got now? Five? More than?

If I can finish mine while dealing with 15 credit hours and a sick spouse and the holiday season in retail and a daughter graduating from college calling me before and after every job interview she has ... what's everyone else's excuse?
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:30 pm

WHOOHOO! We have six entries... yes folks SIX! wonderful especially considering how slow wordtrip has been of late. I will post them all this evening for voting to begin tomorrow.

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:28 pm

okay we have seven total... just waiting for one person to resend theirs to me as the line breaks didnt come thru and i don't want to take liberties with someone else's poem and add them myself...

you know who you are....you have my email address....:)

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”