NEW POETRY CONTEST - Deadline Oct 9 - WT kudos awarded!

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

NEW POETRY CONTEST - Deadline Oct 9 - WT kudos awarded!

Postby mae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Okay, folks, since no one else is going to step up and start a new contest, I'll do another one. PLEASE READ THROUGH THESE RULES. ANY POEM SUBMITTED ANY WAY OTHER THAN SPECIFIED HERE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. No excuses that you didn't read the whole thing this time.

The subject is 9/11. (I know, oh groan! Deal with it!) I don't care what angle you approach this from or what form of poetry you use but it has to relate directly to 9/11/2001 and the events in New York on that day.

Send your entries to me in a PM, then I will repost them without your name. Be sure to title your poems so we'll know what to refer to. We'll have a general vote among all members to decide the winner. Again, you don't win a single thing - except the satisfaction of knowing that your Wordtrip.com peers voted you the winner.

You will have two weeks from today to submit your poems. Contest ends on October 9, 2007. Voting will commence after that. I'll probably set up a poll or something to make it easy to vote.

I don't want to have to get out my whip to get people to enter. This was fun last time and we got some really great poems. So, why aren't you writing?

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:56 pm

way to take the initiative... but then you don't get to enter! :(
my only request for this is that you don't say which ones you like over the others until AFTER everyone gives you their votes. ;)

not sure i'll enter - this isn't a subject i can get poetic with but i'm looking forward to seeing what others come up with... or if YOU want to enter and want ME to take over the nudging and judging, let me know.

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 pm

I hadn't planned on saying which ones I liked this time - it was going to be all WTers.

If you know you aren't going to enter and would like to take it over - complete with nudging- then that would be great. 'Cept I've already posted my 9/11 poem, though I suppose I could do another one.

But you know, you CAN get poetic about it - and I mean you specifically (not generic you). There are all kinds of directions this can go. Just be your usual depressed poetic self, msl!

I would be glad to turn it over - for a variety of reasons. If you JUST AREN'T GOING TO ENTER, then the contest is yours.

mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:16 pm

Okay - i'm it! so for those of you that want to enter - do as mae indicated above but send them to me instead. :)

okay, let's see some entries!!!

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Kind mslover! Thank you for agreeing to take this over, lovely lady. I am grateful. I don't have to kick anyone in the patootie! Yay! mae

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Ah, geez, mae. We just did 9-11 in the challenge. I'm all 9-11'd out. That day is too tough for me. Rather not think of it any more. Sorry. :(
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:38 pm

mlou, quit whining and get to writing. You only did one poem in that challenge, just like the rest of us. Write a poem on not wanting to think of it. I said I didn't care what angle you took. No excuses. And no whining.

mae

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:38 pm

here is a thought... write about rebuilding rather than the event itself. ie it would relate in that you are talking about the event but draw it into how we endure, we change, we grow from sorrow - or how from death comes new life. lots of angles to take this in.

Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: A hideous hole filled with death's stench and dark chocolate covered peanut M&M's.

Postby Dionysus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:27 pm

mae please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get out your whip. Whip me. Whip my behind. No wait - ms is taking over. ms - please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get out your whip. Whip my behind. Make me beg for mercy. Oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Oh, ah oops - got a little distracted. hey - groovy topic - fraught with emotion - from the vulnerability of this great country to the stupidity of this great country's government - to the ineptitude of our weakly leader - to health problems of rescue workers. Wowza. I missed whatever other challenge you loonies had but I might be up for this one.

Working title - sex on the Pile. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Still, the prospect of my behind glowing cherry red...ms....please.
We can never know about tomorrow.
Still we have to choose which way to go.

He not busy being born is busy dying.

Speak these words when I die: "Either hell just got more cheerful or heaven got more fun."
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

*breaks out whip* you do beg so well dion...

now get to the writing! (hmmm...if you do that doesn't mean i have to put the whip away does it???)

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:43 pm

So let me get this straight... we SEND THE ENTRIES TO MSLOVER!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:48 pm

Yes indeed - to me, to me, to me - would it be less confusing if we changed it in the contest description??? ;)

fiona
Master Tripper

Postby fiona » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Well, if you read my story, you'll find that it has to do with the subject matter of this contest. I don't know whether I will participate in it because I haven't read any of your poems. I want to make sure I can be considered as a decent poetry writer. I wrote poetry when I was a teenager. Then I had problems with addictions and life changed drastically. I no longer wanted to write. Now that I am a grown-up, it could be different. 8)
Know me by what I did today.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:58 pm

I have sent in my entry... I encourage others to do the same or I automatically win.

Wait... don't you dare send in an entry!!
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:52 pm

Dion is begging to be whipped? Oh, I am SO-O-O glad mslover is doing this!

and yeah, msl, you've got the idea on taking the subject in different directions. That's what I was thinking.

mae

Daniel
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Daniel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 pm

Then I had problems with addictions and life changed drastically. I no longer wanted to write.

I don't think you chose the right people to grow over it (see the kidding above). :roll:
"I think that in order to understand other people's suffering and distress one must have, among other things, a great imagination."

YOU ARE TO ME WHAT YOU CHOSE TO BE.
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:45 pm

okay my peeps - time is ticking into oblivion - i want poetry!!! sorry jillstar - no winning by default! :D

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:51 pm

DARN!!
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:34 am

I've submitted my entry. Come on, mlou. Don't be a contest-pooper. Give it a shot. Write about the rebirth of the city or something uplifting like that.

mae

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:28 am

Sorry. It's enough that I regularly see my friend's family and what it did to them and I just don't want to revisit the issue. The event inspires nothing poetic in me and I don't want to dwell on it. Unless the one poem I wrote already can count. I'll do better on the next contest.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:05 am

we have two entries so far and mlou i would say yes but then we KNOW who wrote it already... ;) - and i truly understand about the emotional weight and it being too much to write about again.. we'll do another contest soon - about butterflies or something! :)

Olsenpotter
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Olsenpotter » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Ok, I've submitted mine. Good Luck everyone.
I'll leave you a note in the freezer.
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:07 pm

whoohoo - up to four... can we get a couple more? this is awesome...

dion - i'm waiting, whip in hand...

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 am

I am trying to work on one in my spare time (that would be all of five minutes of any day).
So far I have an opening image ... just the image, no real words to describe it yet.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 am

i hear it about the time crunch... you have yet another week - let's see, at 5 minutes a day times 6 days, that's 30 minutes! see you can do it! ;)

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”