Cremation

Post your poetry, talk about well-known poets, work on your form, discus the unique difficulties of invoking a poetic muse, and more.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: A hideous hole filled with death's stench and dark chocolate covered peanut M&M's.

Cremation

Postby Dionysus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:28 am

Cremation is all that is left,
now, while I’m alive

Enlightened flame stripping away flesh
and pretense, fear and doubt,
leaving only the essence, pure spirit.

A seed from which a true life can begin;
an existence pure in intent, raw,
reverently approaching
peace of mind

Self help, mysticism, religion, reflection;
well intentioned and disappointing
Decades passing through a maze of
false starts and beliefs questioned

Rich irony in discovering that each
wrong turn adds another layer;
the seeking smothers the soul
in an attempt to reveal it

My intentions are shattered and
the clock moves too fast
Ignite the flame, an inferno
to rival confusion’s intensity

Melt away all misconception;
introduce me to my soul
We can never know about tomorrow.
Still we have to choose which way to go.

He not busy being born is busy dying.

Speak these words when I die: "Either hell just got more cheerful or heaven got more fun."
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:14 pm

*sigh* I always love reading your poems, Dion...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: A hideous hole filled with death's stench and dark chocolate covered peanut M&M's.

Postby Dionysus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:08 pm

Delaney wrote:*sigh* I always love reading your poems, Dion...

I'm glad you dig it. My brain leaks out emotions and thoughts and passion - it is a truly frightening thing. And I f#$%ing love it.

I think we have established before that our minds are equally diseased - blessed be the bizarros.

Speak these words when I die: "Either hell just got more cheerful or heaven got more fun."
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:32 pm

I really like this one Dion...
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
bard_of_life
Wordtripper

Postby bard_of_life » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Huh... I think I understood 5 words in that... wait, no, at least 8, there's a few 'and's in there... hehe. I like it a lot. I may just have to read more of your poems...
Life is a parchment that no matter how many times you blot ink on it, you can't bring yourself to crumple it.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:59 am

Very nice, D--although some punctuation would help. Or NO punctuation: Having SOME but not ALL makes me keep thinking I'm reading it wrong. Filling in the blanks would make me read it as you want it read . . . taking all of it out would force me to interpret it myself. Either way.

Having said that, it has good flow, makes a good point . . . high energy, good imagery. . . intense, passionate feeling without preaching or condescending. Good work.

On a personal note . . . as I read this, I wonder what it would take to get you to stop searching for your life, and start living it?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Dionysus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:23 pm

TheMudge wrote:Very nice, D--although some punctuation would help. Or NO punctuation: Having SOME but not ALL makes me keep thinking I'm reading it wrong. Filling in the blanks would make me read it as you want it read . . . taking all of it out would force me to interpret it myself. Either way.

Having said that, it has good flow, makes a good point . . . high energy, good imagery. . . intense, passionate feeling without preaching or condescending. Good work.

On a personal note . . . as I read this, I wonder what it would take to get you to stop searching for your life, and start living it?

Mudgemeister!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your comments are dead on - they resonate with me loudly. The punctuation thing drives me crazy. I prefer not to punctuate because I want to avoid all rules - all expectations when I write - if I worry about puntuation it kills the spontaneity - even going back afterwards irritates me. But I stick punctuation in to try to guide the reader - and even more so because I feel I have to. Obviously I'm confusing more than guiding - and that because I'm being indecisive. NO MORE Thank you for that.

"Stop searching and start living" - wowzers - you are Muhammed Ali's fist and I am the face that has taken the blow. I am free right now - in between jobs - and still I hold myself back. This tortures me. I may reread your comments daily - I really need to explode into total me-ness - time is short. I am deadly serious - I appreciate your comments.

Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Dionysus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:28 pm

bard_of_life wrote:Huh... I think I understood 5 words in that... wait, no, at least 8, there's a few 'and's in there... hehe. I like it a lot. I may just have to read more of your poems...

bardman

Could be I'm an acquired taste. Sometimes I fear I come across as pretentious. But then again I don't give a damn because that is what flows out of me naturally. You said you like it a lot, so maybe you'll want to reread it until it tastes like chocolate. If it begins to make you want to vomit just print it out and use it for toilet paper. Either approach is fine.

Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Dionysus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:30 pm

jillstar wrote:I really like this one Dion...

Thanks js. This felt good coming out - I loved it and it loved me.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:33 pm

Great poem, Dion. Almost too intense...it's painful. I can only echo Mudge, re stop searching and start living. In my mind you must LIVE every day, with what you've got. The living of it makes what you have expand into something more. Don't know if I'm expressing the thought clearly, but it's my way of dealing with things...always remembering that this isn't a rehearsal. It's all we've got, our one shot. Unless you're into reincarnation. :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Dionysus
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Dionysus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:06 pm

Mlou wrote:Great poem, Dion. Almost too intense...it's painful. I can only echo Mudge, re stop searching and start living. In my mind you must LIVE every day, with what you've got. The living of it makes what you have expand into something more. Don't know if I'm expressing the thought clearly, but it's my way of dealing with things...always remembering that this isn't a rehearsal. It's all we've got, our one shot. Unless you're into reincarnation. :)

Thanks Mlou. It wasn't so long ago I would have judged a life philosophy like that to be too damn simple. But I have been thinking about it and reading since I have been home, and I am fiercely trying to get myself to live in the now, to be here now. I can and NEED to start moving in the right direction, but I also need to stop torturing myself and learn to find happiness in myself and my friends and my family.

You know, from time to time I find the people in this site tremendously comforting. This is one of those times.

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm

Dionysus wrote:
Mudgemeister!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there's a nick-name I can sink my teeth into.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts

Return to “Pondering Poetry - Share poems, work on form, learn types of poetry”