Tyler's Writing Blog

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:12 am

Wrote some last night, I just barely did any on the novel, but then I also started a short story. Going to work more on the novel this morning.
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Hedging your bets, Tyler? :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:30 pm

Ha. In a way. More like something else to help jump start my part time writer's block. It's weird, I don't really have "writer's block", because I can write, but lately it's just been in small increments. So it's more like a "writer's traffic jam".
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:27 am

Just finished writing a couple pages before work. Hopefully there will be more writing today, but who knows. I'm liking it so far, things are progressing well.

I'm starting a writing circle with some of my writer friends, and I think I might be reading some of it out loud for critique. Part of me doesn't want me to do that, and I still may not, because it isn't finished yet. But we'll see.

By the way, does anyone have any advice on running a writing circle/critique group? :?:
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 pm

I wrote four pages today, before work. I've been going more slowly than I usually go lately, I don't know why. I thought that if I went on a walk (got out of my house, cleared my mind) it would help, but I came back after ten minutes because there is nothing inspiring about walking through a suburb. I want to go for a walk through the woods, but the only ones close to me are about a three miles walk away. Sigh. :?
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Plant trees and wait a while. :twisted:

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Haha. Could do that. I think my novel might be finished by then though. Or I might be dead. Either or.
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Oh, by the way, great stress reliever = playing the ukulele. I'm definitely happier ever since I picked it up.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Anything that makes music is a stress reliever. I won a guitar once. :-D
Hey, don't knock the tree idea. Over 20 years ago, when I thought I was going to die (I'd been diagnosed with cancer), I planted a magnolia tree. I'd always wanted one and I thought, what the heck, if I never see it bloom, SOMEBODY will. so I planted it anyway. It's been blooming every spring for years now. I won't see it this year because we moved to Vermont, but somebody will!

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 pm

I actually planted a tree my uncle gave me for my tenth birthday in my backyard once. It was a sequoia. It died though, those giants aren't meant to live in Indiana. It would have been amazing to see though.
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 pm

By the way (again), the best song to play on the ukulele is "Life On Mars". From David Bowie. I think that I would record it if I had a camera.
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Okay, over 13000 words now. Time seems to have stretched on when I wrote today, I hope that this is just a bad spot and things will get better. I seem to be really unmotivated, but I really DO want to get this baby in motion. It's getting there, but slowly than I would like. I don't want to strain the story either, and sometimes I fear I'll lose it one day. The story that is, not my sanity. Although, that is likely to go too.

OKAY. Got that off my chest. Gonna go to sleep now, Ty Ty needs his sleepy time.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:19 am

May your sleep be always filled with idea . . . and may you remember them when you wake. Take things slow and steady and you'll win the race . . . you're not a tortoise are you?
Is this my reality or yours?
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm

I hope not. Although sometimes I think that I support a shell.

Hopefully more writing tonight. We'll see, I am tired from the crazy escapades that can happen only with old friends on Friday nights. 8)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 am

Uh-huh! And of course it was the friends' fault, right? :roll:

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:38 am

Haha, of course. Who else would the fault lie with? :wink:
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:39 am

Okay, haven't been writing in a couple of days; but that changes today. I have about two hours to kill before my day's adventure begins, and I figured I am going to work on some short story ideas. The first two, which are quite good ideas in my opinion, are defineitly going to be posted up here. I think you'll like them, both are something with a more comical edge to them (I've found that I like writing dark comedy better than anything, and other people seem to enjoy those better anyway). There is a third one, and I think the story idea is unique and different, but it will be really really REALLY raunchy and out there. So, maybe I won't post it here; but I will most likely post a link to a different site where it will be. I love you guys and this site, but I don't want to contaminate the site's awesomeness with something that could be considered tasteless.

And, my novel is on hold right now, but work will resume soon.

End transmission. 8)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:57 am

Earth to space...come in, Tyler!
Your mission is: To write five more pages on the novel, before you set finger to the short story ideas. It's too easy to do "other things", while it sits there and whimpers at you.

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:59 am

Ha, I did touch it a bit, but I have to take a tinneey tiny break from it. It's made me drop a few marbles. Not going to abandon it or anything, but just a tiny break. Promise.
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Okay, I wrote a paragraph and a half in my novel. ARG! What is my problem? Every time I have to opportunity to write, I can't. I forced myself to today, but it didn't feel like I was actually writing. It felt like I was working on an english paper. I didn't feel anything for it. I hope this is just a phase, I'm supposed to be a writer. This is SUPPOSED to be what I do. ARG!! :x
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Are you losing interest in your characters? When I hit a boring spot, I would leave it and start on an incident that I was really enthusiastic about. Later, go back and if it's still boring, you need to rethink if it's important to the story or if there's a better time/way to get that necessary info into it.

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Yeah. I don't know what it is. It's just, I feel distant from it now. It feels like it's not my story, rather something written by a stranger; and I'm just glancing. I don't really know how to describe it.
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 pm

I've been working on some more short stories; I put two up on here (What Happened On The Playground and The Last Lie Of Jeremiah Jacobe). Some of my constant readers (all three of you :wink: ) might be able to tell my writing style has changed. Because it has. Haha. I don't know why, but after I wrote that stream of consciousness story (An Intimate Conversation With Myself), I decided to change it up a bit. That's partly why I stopped progress on my novel for the time being. But who knows, maybe I'll go back and start on it again someday; or maybe I'll change the style of it or something. But right now, I'm on a short story and poetry streak.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:53 pm

A poetry streak? Oh, GOOD! The poetry challenges have been a b it slow lately. Do try them!!!

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Ha, I will. Fact, I'll get on that right now while I'm listening to some Sigur Ros.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”