Bess's Writer's Blog

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey, there's people trying to sell land on the Moon and Mars.
Is this my reality or yours?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Mlou wrote:Hmmm...sounds intriguing! You'll have to think up the circumstance whereby a company would have the right to name stars...usually reserved for the astronomer who finds it, or something, isn't it?

No, there are actually companies that do that. Most stars are named by coordinates, and can be renamed for a fee.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:43 pm

In fact, here's one of the more major companies that do it legit: http://www.starregistry.com/
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:43 pm

But who authorizes it? Who gets a fee...over and above this company, which must act as middleman? The government or what. The RIGHT to do it has to come from somewhere...or at least you'd think so. Otherwise, we could ALL do it and make bucks (if only from dumb people looking for a kind of immortality.)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:48 pm

The various companies that do it legit will "re-register" the coordinate name with the governing body for astronomical names (I forget their official name - it's in a research folder in an unpacked box right now) for a fee which helps keep them running.

Either way, it's a "in" for my story... :D
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:26 pm

yes, very interesting premise!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:36 pm

I also have specific reasons why each one won't budge:

the guy has always held that star as the one that holds his destiny

the girl's dad who dies from cancer bought it's name for her
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:55 pm

Well if he is Mr. Warren and she's Ms. Rabbit, they could hyphenate it: Rabbit-Warren. Just kidding. :-D BUt actually, that's the compromise...they hyphenate it. And then it doesn't matter because she marries him anyway. ...I think. Or maybe it's just because I like happy endings, neatly tied up. ( And I peeked into your writing notebook. )

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 am

I'm a sucker for happy endings too. I think that's why I almost exclusively read romance. Boy HAS to get girl...ergo, happy endings. I just hate it when I've invested time in a 3 or 4 hundred page book and one of the leading characters die. It's hard enough for me not to get depressed without somebody dying while I'm TRYING to be entertained.

Blick, that sounds like it would make a very good contemporary romance. Just read one where the heroine ran a business catering to interactive video game players. Gamers go to her business to buy or play the games. The hero somehow gets pulled into the real world. They both have a hard time dealing with the situation, but manage to fall in love regardless. Second part of the novel, they both go back into the game and she (being a great game player, and wrote that particular game) helps hero save the day in his world.
Romance today has so many sub-genres that almost any writer can find a home there, and since romance makes up around 59% of trade paperback sales it is the easiest for a first time novelist to break into print.
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:54 pm

It has been a while since I've written any pims, Mlou, but I have answered your call to arms...let's duel, girl.

en garde...

A measured march
towards our truth
we mark time
at the faded gate
of doubt
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:31 am

Very nice, Bess. I think those were yesterday's words, right? I posted my today's in my Fish Pond but here it is...no title yet.

My life is
the endless road
the nomad takes,
without maps,
leading to anywhere
under the long horizon.

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 am

Nice thrust! I'm off to work on my next parry/thrust? Be back with whatever it is...soon :pirate:
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:03 am

EeK! You win this round, Mlou. I can't tackle French. :oops:
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:31 am

Yes but you can't let it defeat you. You have to be innovative :-D which means cobbling parts of words and covering what you don't want. Visit my Fish Pond for my so-so result.

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:51 am

Ashen skys of Winter whisper
cold rain from silent clouds still
drink swiftly earths nector
for leaves fall at will.

I'm off to read your thrust! Argh!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:58 am

WOW! I really like that one Bess.
Is this my reality or yours?
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:28 pm

Hey, not shabby at all. You're just too modest, Bess! :wink:

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:51 pm

:oops: thanks guys...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Soooo, where's today's?? *unwinding whip*

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm

OUCH! Okay, I'm going.
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:30 pm

Hey...those were today's words.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Oh, okay. I thought they were yesterday's.
In that case, where are yesterday's???
(And I'll forgive you sneaking in skys for skies. :wink: I'm very tempted sometimes. And if I plan to submit, I do change things for the better.)

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:28 pm

Be still, empty Soul
beyond heaven, the Watcher
waits with fire. Awake
and look to Truth,
Life is your Reward.
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:50 pm

I was looking back through my blog and realized that there are long periods of time where I just seem to disappear. I'm not sure why I do this, I love this site and love the friends I have made here. I do know that I allow life to intrude, sometimes this is not a bad thing, sometimes, it is necessary.
The past few months, I have been staying with a friend. My friend's son, committed suicide. He left behind two loving parents a wife and four year old son. Not to mention more friends than I'd care to count.
His suicide still seems surreal. It makes no sense. Why? Why, would he do this? What could have been so bad in his life that he couldn't pick up a phone and, at least, let someone try to talk him out of it? There was no warning and no note of explanation. He was handsome, had a great job, a beautiful wife, an adorable child and friends. He wasn't in debt, no adultery from either he or his wife. No addictions...drugs, alcohol or otherwise.
I'm really at my wits end on how to help her...she doesn't seem, to even want to try, to meet life on her own. I feel like a dog chasing his own tail, if that makes since. I know, I'll never truly understand how she feels...this was her only child and I was never able to have any children. Am I selfish to want my life and my home back? As I said, it has been a few months and I'm not sure if I'm helping or hindering her recovery. I'm no longer sure what IS the right thing to do. Should I wait for her to say she is ready to stay by herself (no matter how long it takes) or should I pack my things and tell her I need to go home?
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:58 pm

A few months seems far too long, to me anyway, Bess. She is leaning on you as on a crutch and she won't learn to stand alone as long as she doesn't have to. She has a husband to mourn with her. And a grandson who will need all her active love and caring turned outward on what's left of her family and not inward to no purpose. Maybe she needs to be comforting them rather than continuing to mourn.

One of my closest friends had her only son commit suicide about a year ago, in a horrible way. And she was the one who found his "remains" when she returned home in the evening. She was devastated. (Has many physical problems of her own also). But she has picked herself up and gone on as best she can. I know it hasn't been easy for her and she has no husband or grandson to comfort her.
Anyway, ask yourself what specific purpose you are serving by continuing to stay with them. And how much of a drain has it been on you and whether you may need your own peaceful surroundings back?
Not that I'm any counselor, that's for sure. Only you know the situation. But the fact that you are having doubts and thinking of going home, should give you a clue. Do what "feels" right to you.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”