xcheck's hat tricks -- award winning journalist!

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

xcheck's hat tricks -- award winning journalist!

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:42 pm

I have a writing blog on my web site, but I figure I would start one here too :)

I am stuck with my writing currently because I have been tired the last two days. I havent slept well in two days because my over enthusiasm of going back to the gym so I can finish losing all the weight i gained during the time i was with my ex. i started a short story based on a crime story i wrote three years ago, but I'm not enthusiastic about it yet.

As for work (I am a reporter, afterall), this has been a BLAH week. I'm working on a couple stories that are interesting including volunteer firefighters (oooo, i LOVE firefighters), but it's school vacation week so it's kinda boring around here.

hopefully a nap later will re-energize me to write some more tonight. I need to get my 3,000 words done this week! :)
Last edited by xcheck24 on Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:36 pm

Sorry you're so bored.

Hey you're close enough to come on up here and cover the bicker sessions going on over the same sex marriage thingy we've got going on! It's keeping most of our reporters busy :D

So any methods for pulling yourself out of the doldrums?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:08 pm

it's school vacation...It'll get exciting again next week :D

So I wrote a bunch in my birdbath short story, which I still think stinks, last night. I'll have to do a major edit when I'm done with it since I'm so unhappy with it. I just want to get the thing down on paper.

and apparently i upset my boyfriend with my sexually explicit poem...so i'm struggling with the fact that he is uncomfortable that i'm writing about him (and this is the ONLY thing ive written about him).

Today at work I covered an event and wrote a mind-numbing advance, but I'm working on some cool stories for the weekend...so my brain is saved! i need for something exciting to happen, tho.
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:11 pm

Had a guy who thought that way, until I convinced him that if he looked at it from an outside reader's pov...they didn't know him and since a changed a few key things, they wouldn't if HE didn't tell them.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:20 pm

that's what i'm trying to explain to him :)
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:23 pm

did you use his name or a literal discription that would make it so obvious that is was him?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:24 pm

no i dont....i posted it under "Your Scent" over on the poetry section (it's rated R).
i actually sent him the poem to hopefully ease his worries.
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:26 pm

I'll Check it out.

Has he read it, yet?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:46 am

I e-mailed it to him last night, but when I talked to him before bed he hadn't checked his e-mail yet.
Behind the Press

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:20 pm

It's friday after 3 p.m. and I feel drained. I dont feel like doing any writing here at work with the stuff I actually get PAID to do.

I'm also not going to see my computer at home to do any writing until Sunday night because I'm leaving from work to see my special someone.

So this sucks because right now I want to go home and write something. I need to get myself a lap top so when I do travel I have something to write on. I just don't like writing in a notebook or something what I want to write because then I have to rewrite it into the computer, and I hate that!

I could probably write some poetry in my writer's journal that I carry with me everywhere so when the muse strikes I can write some notes.

But I really want to finish my birdbath short story!!! Guess it will have to wait until Sunday if I'm not exhausted when I come home.
Behind the Press

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:11 pm

It's sunday at 10 p.m. and I returned home about a hour ago from my trip to see the boyfriend.

Ever have one of those weekends that a bunch of stuff happens and you come back and you are inspired to write something? That's how I feel tonight. The downside is that I'm really tired!

And why is it easier for me to get my feelings onto paper rather than verbalizing them? Maybe actually getting them into my writing, tho, will help me verbalize them and learn about myself.
Behind the Press

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:29 pm

It's official. I have writer's block.

I stared at a blank screen last night for two hours and I stared at it again today for at least a hour before I came to work.

So I need to pull myself out of this hole I'm starting to dig otherwise it's going to stink very soon because I'll be banging my head against the wall!

This is what happens to me when I start freaking out about something in my life. I SHOULD try writing about the thing that is freaking me out, but I dont even know how I feel about it (hence why I'm freaking out)....so how can I write about something that I dont know how I feel?!!?
Behind the Press

JoshuaShane
Master Tripper

Postby JoshuaShane » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:41 pm

write about how it looks from the outside if you was a bystander watching what is going on!
Knowledge is power and power is the key to success!
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:10 pm

i was trying to do that by writing it in third person. i wrote a couple lines and just got bogged down in it because i couldnt figure out what to say next.

perhaps i should throw it together in a poem.
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:25 pm

here's some fun nonsense I do to break my blocks

Write jibberish. what ever comes to mind keep going even if it makes no sense, isn't really words and has no punctuation to speak of....

Usually I get a full page typed, start laughing and find some inspiration.

I've developed one whole piece around this line which came up when typing Jibberish

"his lower lip massaging mine open..."
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:32 pm

So I broke through my writer's block last night writing a new poem and the first 500 or so words of a new short story...but because i based the short story on my life, i am stuck because the whole story hasn't played out yet. and i haven't figured out what i WANT to happen with this thing, so it's not like I can make something out. I should just keep writing so I can figure out these issues.

Instead I plan on shelving that story for a time and focus on other things.

and i should work on something tonight. maybe I will start the novel I have been wanting to write.
Behind the Press

JoshuaShane
Master Tripper

Postby JoshuaShane » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:35 pm

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!
Knowledge is power and power is the key to success!
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:19 pm

After having a strong opening this week, I have faltered. I have not sat down to write anything since Monday night. I feel ashamed. I dont know why, but I just get so tired after a long day...and when I'm ready to write I'm so tired. and if i take a nap, it would screw me up to go to sleep to get up the next day for work. AHHHH!!!

It's also been a busy week with my paid writing here at work. Lots of stuff going on in the world of reporting for me. Yet somehow I'm bored with work. I need something new.
Behind the Press

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:21 pm

Don't feel ashamed... I started great on Sunday and have been stuck in World Building all week with no real writing under my belt.

I understand the feeling however and can only tell you to write when the feeling hits you... even a little poem or thought about how frustrated you feel.

Oh... if you like doing any poetry, I just put up a new poetry challenge... maybe that would get those thoughts a roll'n. :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:50 pm

xcheck... have you ever read Bird by Bird by Anne Lammott? I think you're tuned into KFKD radio right now... take some time for you, clear your thoughts, get some sleep, and tune it out. The exercise SHE mentions is to take all of those voices telling you to be ashamed and picture them as little white mice... then mentally pick each up by the tail and drop them into a jar... when they're all in the jar, you listen to them intently for a few seconds... and then put on the lid and silence their little squeeky butts :D

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:46 pm

i dont really feel ashamed...more annoyed at myself that i cant get enough energy up to work on my writing!

btw, Martha Stewart got convicted today and i cover her hometown, Westport, Conn. so guess who was running around like a madwoman this afternoon....
Behind the Press

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:10 pm

alright, now it seems i need to give myself a writer's schedule cuz now I'm so busy I dont have time to write...i havent even had a chance to stop by here in a few days!!!! :oops:
Behind the Press

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:03 pm

I think making a schedule is a great idea that I myself still have not done.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:05 pm

I'm right there with you! Need to schedule myself some time as well
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:19 pm

I'm having the problem of my main character not talking to me. she's not telling me about her relationship with her boyfriend. i think i have to explore her past relationships in order to know what's going on now with her. sounds like i need to write a prequel short story.
Behind the Press

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”