Trash's Paper Dump Box

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

purty_trash
Master Tripper

Trash's Paper Dump Box

Postby purty_trash » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:35 am

I am planning to write a novel. I hope it is a sci-fi one (althouh i intend it to be one but i fear it might turn out to be a comedy). I'll keep posting chapters here so that i feel good when i look at them. I know that I'll need some serious research which might take a long while. I'll keep juggling time between studies and writing and research. I'm giving it at least seven years. I know, I know its a terribly long time but I've got two of the most difficult years in studies in my 3rd and 4th years coming up. i'm in 2nd year right now. After that there'll be internship, a competition for getting a seat in the post graduate course, 2 years in P.G. and after that I'll be a both-hands-full doctor( i hope).

So pretty soon i'll be starting on my project. Bit by bit, I'll add to my novel and hope to get it complete, in between i hope to write lots of short stories. pretty ambitious, huh? Let's see how i stick out.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:17 am

May all your ambitions come true, purty! (Long ago I answered your PM but you never picked it up. ) No poems lately? How about trying our poetry challenges?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:48 pm

thanx Mlou but I have never been able to will myself to write a poem. i mean it just happens. there comes a day when i feel that i must write something.

Monsoon is in its full bloom here in India and after such scorching summers they're a relief. i was very excited with the first rain ( u know the kind of excitement that only a quirkyalone poet can feel), maybe i'll write something about it.

BTW i can't remember which PM u r talking about. i'm sorry but can u send it over again?of course if the matter has paled then u must not mind. it would b irritating for u. its like telling somebody there's a beautiful swallow in the garden and the person not catching u the first time. by the time u repeat urself, the swallow flies away leaving the speaker tearing his head off.

And thanx for replying to my blog. :)

Catch up with u soon at the poetry section :-D . thanx for prompting.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:11 pm

I am planning to write a novel. I hope it is a sci-fi one (althouh i intend it to be one but i fear it might turn out to be a comedy).

Think Terry Pratchett and you get the best of both worlds.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:06 pm

hi Del.
i've actually got the theme clear in my head. i'm still to make notes and all. i've went through 'a brief history of time' by stephen hawkins and 'stephen hawkins - a life in science'. the latter one is a supplement to the former and clears up the subject a bit more. i'm planning to use some concrete knowledge from these books but i'm still unsure. i dunno how much fantasy should i mix. also, wether solid facts matter more or the way i sell my not-so-solid facts would matter.

anyways, i will definitely start something in the coming days.

thanx for helping
Puru Tyagi
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:50 pm

That sounds REALLY cool, PT. How's the books so far? I've wanted to read it but I'm afarid it'll be way over my head...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:04 am

well Del if you are going for Stephen Hawkins then ask for the illustrated version of 'A Brief History Of Time'. Supplement it with 'Stephen Hwakins - A Life In Science' and I think you will be able to grasp it sufficiently. But I must add that you must have some prelimenary knowledge about diffraction, interference and atomic structure. Stephen Hawkins is too big a scientist to let us run through the basics. Its fun all in all, but one must read it twice at least before one can grasp what's going on.

Pick up one today! You've got nothing to loose. :-D
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:09 am

Sci - fi novel:

Just learned about the multiverse aspect of quantum theory and the non - flowing view of time. it collides with my own plot a bit so i'll have to work round it. Quantum theory will require much more research before i can safely use it in the novel.

Also gotta search Free Unified theory. some say its a compromise theory without itself ofering anything new. If such is the case then i will find something to glue together the Quantum and the Gravitational theory. that way not only will i help myself but i'll also help physics :-D, even though the help would be fictional.
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:37 pm

Sci- fi novel progress:

Gotta do research about Entanglement theory. I feel it holds the perfect twist to the plot. Will do that in one of the days.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:08 pm

SF would be so much easier if there were no existing theories . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:30 pm

:rofl:
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:54 am

SF would be so much easier if there were no existing theories . . .

yeah, but then it wouldn't be sci-fi at all. it'd be fantasy and anybody could cook that. 8) . anyways, if one cared to look at all these books about cosmology they look more like fantasy then sci-fi.

And get up from the floor Anblick. Just wait when i get to publish that novel. i won't thank any of you. ANY OF YOU! :roll: i will just thank mommy, daddy and God. :pirate: :P
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:54 am

Alright here's a start: I've finally decided to add the prologue. I'll still have to research the minor details. some of which i've mentioned in my prologue, but atleast its a start.

If anybody sees this one, lemme know how you feel. Does this really look like a Prologue? Something which pulls you out of your seat and makes you ask what's gonna come next? does it come close?

Prologue:

Verma sped his car through the bends of the hilly road. The task in his hands required hurry. If only he had interpreted the situation, he could have saved himself from the pain.

There was nothing to worry about. Everything was still under control, he told himself. But he must practice caution.

An inexperienced driver would have heeded to the advice of the road signs which said ‘Drive slowly’, but Verma had been negotiating these turns for four months now. He knew each one by heart. The road lay like a devilish snake amongst the mountains. Verma’s headlight provided the eyes. Almost invariably, the road had a valley to one side and cliff like, tall cut sections of the mountains on the other side.

A thunderstorm had been brewing up in the skies and every now and then lightning lit up his way.

Verma thanked God.

The road ahead was dark and even though his headlights lit up the fifty meters in his front, he knew he must trust his instincts more than the mountains.

Even though he resisted, his mind wandered off to think of what lay ahead. A quarrel, Verma thought, nothing less. He would ask his friend to return to sanity and his friend would refuse. The voices would definitely rise and soon they would be ready to punch each other. Then Verma would say, ‘So this makes Mangu Ram angry.’ That would be the end. They would laugh their ribs out and then they would talk it over peacefully. Just like the old times. Verma loved teasing his friend with his nick name.

After all, Verma thought, his friend had just been carried off by a surge of emotions. He didn’t know what he was talking about. He had known his friend for nine years. He didn’t mean harm. And, thought Verma, he was yet to make an advance to harm anybody. He hadn’t discovered anything yet, had he? Nothing big, anyway.

Verma would have to keep his fingers crossed. He didn’t know yet how far his friend had taken the research started by them. He knew that for sometime his friend had hidden some of the research’s advancements and that was precisely what had angered Verma.

He wished now he hadn’t got angry.

He hoped, though, that his friend had failed enough to delay his results. But what if he achieved his results? Verma found himself contemplating the possibility. No, he thought, that would be disastrous.

If He had achieved even half of what was possible, Verma would have to take control of the situation. He couldn’t let this go on. Especially when the government was unaware of it. Even Verma felt that he wasn’t told what was going on. He, who had proposed the idea, was cleverly marooned from its results. He recalled the day when his friend came over and asked him to drop off the research. I am not yet ready to concentrate on this, he had said. And Verma had done exactly that. He knew his research could wait a few more years. He understood his friend’s problem.

If it had not been for the email from Shyam, he would have never known anything. Even then, Verma questioned, what did he really know? Just that his theory was being used in a way that Verma would not have preferred. That was all Shyam had said.

If the security ever got to know who hacked the system… The plan would be over. Everything finished. Verma and company would come out as criminals rather than heroes.

Even inside his car, he shivered a little as he thought about it.

The blue coloured Maruti 800 moved swiftly along the road and with every passing second drew closer to its destination. But then it happened.

Verma heard an earth shattering sound. A bomb of the purest white light exploded in front of his eyes, and unable to control himself, he let the car swerve out of control. There was an impact and Verma felt himself thrown onto the windshield. His seat belt pulled him back.

As his senses and his vision returned, Verma looked around. The windshield was broken and from the gap he saw a ragged rock staring back at him.

Verma got out of the car and inspected the crash. He knew that he was lucky. Not many people survive a lightning strike, even if it falls just a few feet ahead of their car. He could easily have lost control and fell into the valley or, he thought, the rock itself could have gotten him good.

But this was no time to celebrate. He knew the urgency of the matter.

Instead of feeling thankful, he felt angry. This was no time for God to show his power. The time was too short to allow such miracles to take place.

But today, he was in for a surprise.

As he opened the door another bang tattered his senses and behind him a momentary sun lit up the night.

The trees nearest his car were on fire.

Oh God, Verma quickly grasped what was happening. The first one a few meters away, the second one a few feet away and the third one…

Verma didn’t wait to answer himself. With a rush of movements which was rare for his age, he climbed inside the car and waited. This was the safest he could get. He waited for another flash and explosion.

But nothing happened. The world around him fell silent. He heard the wind howling, something which he hadn’t heard when he was driving.

If it was what he thought then it was everything he had ever feared. His nightmare was being realized, right before his eyes. Everything that he had predicted could be brought to life. In irresponsible hands it could break havoc. Verma had also predicted that.

The very first day he had announced his theory, He, his friend, had seen this possibility.

‘You can change the probability of things to happen! Imagine that!’ His friend had said that the very first day. Even that day Verma had felt uncomfortable. He actually had to look up from the paper he was reading out to catch his friend’s eyes. He had a twinkle in the very center of his pupil. He probably doesn’t know what it means, Verma had thought. Because even as he had lingered on his friend’s sentence, he had realized what were the possibilities.

Of course, Verma shuddered, He had achieved that now. His friend had gone far ahead of anything Verma could assume. Verma was too late.

Verma had found an egg and now He had unleashed the monster within.

Fat drops of rain started dropping from the sky. As the first few passed through the broken windshield and touched Verma, he felt the hairs on his spine rise.

It was as if somebody was knocking his door, asking him to come out and play. Somebody wanted him to play The Game of Death. The rules? Verma was blind folded.

Every raindrop that wetted his skin reminded him of the Evil that had unleashed them. He knew it had to be him.

What did he want to do now? Verma asked himself. All the anger that ran through his veins had now melted into cold fear. He saw his hands trembling but he could not command them to stop. His whole body was shaking. The fear of the unseen had slipped right inside his heart.

The rain poured down in full intensity and the drops played on the car’s roof. But the sound of Verma’s heart was louder than the rainfall. He saw his daughter before his eyes. She was dressed in her school dress with her report card held in one hand. His wife stood near her. She wore the same sari that he had gifted her on their last anniversary. They stood there silently staring at Verma. He pitied them. More then them he pitied himself.

‘Please, God.’ He said aloud. ‘I do not deserve to die. You know that.’
Tears were rolling from his eyes.
‘Not like that. Not now.’ His voice broke and he cried like a child, his wails rose above the sound of the rain.

Then he heard another deep sound. It came from far but steadily picked up as it approached him. He cried louder to drown the sound, but the sound was going stronger by the second.

It wasn’t a lightning fall and Verma wasn’t afraid of that. It was something else. And for all he tried, he knew he could not escape it.

The sound was now so loud that Verma couldn’t hear his own cry. He made one last, lung full effort and then everything blacked out.

The next morning in The Times Of India, a news filled up one sixth of the page no.11:
‘Heavy rain causes minor landslide in Palampur. 1 dead.’

In a smaller column alongside it carried another news:
‘Lightning strikes twice at the same place:
In a space of a few seconds, lightning struck the same place twice on Palampur – Shimla highway. Experts say that probability of which is one in two million. Some on lookers say…’ The rest of the page was obscured by a school bag. A girl in school dress was crying bitterly nearby. Her mother was on the phone but tears were rolling down her face too.
purty_trash
Master Tripper

Postby purty_trash » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:54 am

Looked at my prologue again. It sounds utterly confusing. But maybe i should wait until i chalk out the plot a bit futher.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”