The Fountain Pen of Doom

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

bard_of_life
Wordtripper

The Fountain Pen of Doom

Postby bard_of_life » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:46 pm

Hey everyone, since this is where everyone is posting nowadays I thought I might join in. Is uppose I'm supposed to talk about my writing here, eh? Well, I'm pretty sparatic in when I write, I only write when I have time (very rare) or when I am unafflicted by Writer's Block (rarer still).

Usually to get inspired I need an emotional connection, like in the novella idea I will post below eventually. It usually comes out when I'm being bullied or see a place that really thrills me.

As for word count, I may as well start something now to get my worktime on the rise. So today is the 20th of July, and there are 31 days total right? So I guess I'll aim for 100wpd, therefore 1,100 words till the 1st of august (all of you laughing, knock it off, I have serious time issues here, people!). Wish me luck! I'll update constantly.
Life is a parchment that no matter how many times you blot ink on it, you can't bring yourself to crumple it.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:16 pm

i love the title of your blog :D

you know, i stopped counting words...i kinda keep count with the novel because i need at least 50,000 words, but as for how much I write a day....it doesnt make too much of a difference to me.

i set goals like getting thru a certain scene, figuring out an outline point or whatever...i find it more productive.

but good luck with your word count quest!
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
kamikazekelly
Wordtripper

Postby kamikazekelly » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:59 pm

hey there...i dig your title, too.

I never kept a word count until I came here--I'm still a newbie--but I find that it motivates the heck out of me. It's a good thing. :D

G'luck!
my finetuning profile
my Associated Content profile
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London
bard_of_life
Wordtripper

Postby bard_of_life » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:04 pm

Well, No word count for the bard anymore... a page count! I've been getting up at 5:00 each morning (major achievement) and writing about 2 full pages. I've never written so much or so well in my life. I love it!
Life is a parchment that no matter how many times you blot ink on it, you can't bring yourself to crumple it.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:06 pm

BOL, we have a wordcount challenge (which is where you set a goal and try to achieve it) here on the site you might want to look at!
bard_of_life
Wordtripper

Postby bard_of_life » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:49 pm

Well after another long battle with writer's block, I came out with this riding high on my priority list. I hope you like it, I think I'll use it for an article start.

EMTs - Everyday Miracle Technicians

The stench of burning flesh and rubber hangs in the air like a rotten veil, smothering any hope that’s left as you, an emergency medical technician lean over the accident victim. Even though you should just give up, you open up a portable defibrillator and place it on the cold chest of the man before you. “Clear!” The body jumps, but you don’t flinch.
You wait a moment, and then you press two fingers against his blood-soaked throat. You feel a weak but steady thumping under the already warming skin. “A pulse,” you scream hoarsely, “we’ve got a pulse over here!” As the man’s eyes flicker open, two other EMT’s join you. His eyes lock onto yours for a second, and you can see the thanks in them. He is loaded onto a stretcher and he groans, more from sadness then pain. His daughter was in the back seat, and he couldn’t save her.
You leave him with the other two, and look over the scene. Two cars melted into each other, the interiors still burning. The flashing ambulance lights cast an eerie glow over the scene, first painting the pale dead face blue, then red, then blue again. You look away, searching for anywhere else you can help. Because that’s what you do.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:30 pm

Well written, bard, with a good sense of urgency. Just not sure I'm comfortable with the you POV.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bard_of_life
Wordtripper

Postby bard_of_life » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:42 pm

HEy everyone, I need help. I'm working on a story where a boy goes into a house and there's a passageway of some kind that is covered in ivy, and it transports him into the past where he helps a runaway slave or something like that. My problem is why should he is in the house in the first place? I came up with a few reasons...

1. He moved there from somewhere
2. He is staying with his aunt and uncle while his father/mother recovers from some incident.
3. He is going to a boarding school

Please help! And also, where do you think it should be?
Sakkasie
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sakkasie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:12 pm

He was walking past the house and he thought he overhead someone inside moaning in pain. He went inside to see if he could be of some assistance.

Sakki
Sakki

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:03 pm

Wow, so many possibilities. My first suggestion is to go with your own gut feeling. (You said 'he' in all your examples, so I'll be consistent)

After that, just a myriad of suggestions:

1) Maybe he walked through a door in a strange place and ended up there.
2) He was housesitting for friends...
3) He was camping in the wilderness and stumbled upon an "abandoned" house
4) He's a thief that is in the wrong place at the wrong time.
5) He's a scientist that has uncovered an amazing portal.
6) etc., etc. etc.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:57 pm

HEy everyone, I need help. I'm working on a story where a boy goes into a house and there's a passageway of some kind that is covered in ivy, and it transports him into the past where he helps a runaway slave or something like that. My problem is why should he is in the house in the first place? I came up with a few reasons...

1. He moved there from somewhere
2. He is staying with his aunt and uncle while his father/mother recovers from some incident.
3. He is going to a boarding school

I like the second one... or you could make it so that HE'S recovering from some incident... a divorce, a parent dieing... he could be lonely or depressed and that would explain how he came all alone upon the house... I just think you can do alot with that... you could even tie in some odd things about where he's staying... maybe he ran away for a bit...?
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”