Tigerlily Tales

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

tigerlily
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Tigerlily Tales

Postby tigerlily » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:08 am

July 2005--Had fun looking back at some stuff I wrote earlier this year, but no real desire to write something new. Maybe I'm tired. It has been a weird day. Nobody told me I got switched from evening to morning shift, so I was half an hour late for work...Excuse #1 for not writing, huh? "My job got in the way..." Still, it is important to look back every so often, just to get some perspective, maybe do some editing, or polish something up for a contest or two. It could be that I'm still drained from that whole entire novel in a month I did in May, plus a pretty scary personal problem, which may or may not be ongoing (please let it be over!) Think I'll just organize for a while and bask in my genius. :D
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi, tigerlily...glad you're still popping in occasionally. Thought Mr. Scary was history. If not, remember you have options. Are you going to do something with your novel that you did in May? I hope so. That much work shouldn't be abandoned. Can you tell us a bit about it...genre, length, etc.?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:00 pm

Hi, Mlou!
Yeah, I think Mr. Scary (as good a name as any) is finally gone. When I wrote that bit last time, I had received a message on my machine from him, almost exactly a month from telling him to leave me be, so I had a bad couple of days, freaking out, expecting to run into him, etc. But no sight or sound since then, so maybe he really has given up. At last! 8-[

On to more interesting stuff.

My book is called Snails Are Evil, and it recounts the adventures of a young girl sold by her older sister to a mad scientist. I am currently transcribing it, slowly and painfully, into typewritten form, allotting myself lots of space between lines for editing and comments. I'm also sending five pages at a time to my best friend, sometimes stopping in the middle of a sentence. This is, of course, calculated to drive her crazy. :evillaugh:

It is absolutely terrible, but that's to be expected: it's a first draft written in just under thirty days. I like the underlying story, I just need to go back in and take out all the meandering dialogue and about five hundred adverbs that I put in to pad my word count, and replace all that useless crap with clever and inventive action, description, and character development.

Just about the most fascinating thing I've learned from this (next to the realization that I can write something longer than three pages) is how easy it is to establish something in the reader's mind as fact. I've always had these ideas in my head, and my inner critic has always said, yes, but how do you write that down and make it believable. The answer, I found, is just write it down. The reader will follow along as you set up the rules and fold out the gameboard and present the pieces. If I write down, "My sister committed mail fraud to get rid of me. She advertised me in Alien World Quarterly as a superintelligent squid girl from the Planet Novella, and Mama Blotch, last living descendant of the great Claustrian mad scientist Balthazar Von Blotchkinschtock, purchased me to be her personal henchperson/protegee.", the reader doesn't say, "No way. I don't believe it." They say, "Okay, that's weird, but where is it going?" and keep reading, or they say, "This really isn't my thing." and stop. But nobody doubts it. After it's written, it's established fact in my little universe. What a trip!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:10 pm

Yikes, tiger, if I ever had to write it in longhand first, I'd never get anywhere. I write directly on computer and it's there for me to push/pull, add/cut...
When you find out how to add "clever and inventive action, description, and character development", for heaven's sake, be sure to let me know! I could use some of that. (I'm still cutting from 80,000 to 60. Am about at 71, 000. Alas, I'll never get that much cut!)
As for Mr. Scary, hope he's really history, at last.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:45 pm

I always write longhand first for any serious projects. I feel more connected to it that way...
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:02 am

August 1, 2005

I'm off today and tomorrow, and it's about time, too. I could do with a serious rest from Monstrous Convenience. (I'm not supposed to make disparaging comments about my job, so I'll just call the place Monstrous Convenience, and rename my coworkers as I go.) Baba Yaga has been scheduling me to work just about every day--Well, seven on, two off, six on, two off, and it's wearing me out, plus I've got jury duty hanging over my head, worrying me silly...
Didn't do much writing today, aside from a few posts at Wordtrip, but that's normal for a library visit. I do most of my writing early in the morning before I go to work. The productive stuff anyway: poems, short stories, jewelry, paintings, etc. Journaling is for the end of the day; likewise, letters. (It's 11:40 PM) I do more when I'm busy.
So I ate a lot of weird stuff I fully expect to bother me, went to the library and deleted my weekly 200+ pieces of Spam, did some posting in Wordtrip, and looked up the Writer's Digest Popular Fiction Awards Contest guidelines. I don't know. $12.50 seems kind of high to me. I mean, sure, if I survive to the end of August at Monstrous Convenience, I get a raise, but I'll still only be making a little over six bucks an hour. I believe in the process and I'm serious about my writing, but I don't think I have a short story right now that's worth $12.50. Guess I'll have to make that a goal: a story worth entering in the Writer's Digest Popular Fiction Contest.
I like to read books that are mentioned in my writing books. Today I looked up Ordinary People by Judith Guest and Naked Lunch by Richard Burroughs. Ordinary People is currently on the hold shelf at a different library, and Naked Lunch isn't even in the system. So I checked out: Home to Harmony by Philip Gulley, On Fire's Wings by Christie Golden, and A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny, which has pictures in it! an unexpected pleasure. If any of them turns out to be good, I'll write about them in my Reading Blog, which is sadly neglected these days.
Note: when stopping in at the Oak Hill Public Library, do not be surprised by the lack of quiet. Despite several posters politely requesting all cell phones be turned off before entering and suggesting one should leave before making calls, you may very well be subjected to one half of an hour-long pointless phone conversation. Children stomp and run about, frequently crying and/or screaming. And one of the librarians consistently speaks in a clear strident voice that can be heard in every corner of the building. Today she blew a toy whistle. Because she felt like it. I was quite ready to move on to my next stop.
I went to Wal-Mart's. I like to shop at Wal-Mart's, or the Enemy, as they sometimes call it at Monstrous Convenience. I am a compulsive stationery shopper, so any store with both sides of an aisle, let alone two and an island, devoted to markers, pencils, and notebook paper, is all right by me.
I was there in the Enemy Camp, ostensibly to purchase more khaki pants for work, maybe do a little bra shopping...Somehow, I just couldn't bring myself to buy even a single pair of khakis, and as for the bras, they all looked as though some invisible supermodel was already wearing them. They looked uncomfortable too. Call me crazy, but I prefer my underwear to need me to fill it out. Yes, I am a firm believer in clothing codependency.
I left, without khakis or bras (aside from the one I came in with), but carrying a big white shopping bag full of scrapbook supplies and a brand new Pirates of the Caribbean folder.
The scrapbook stuff is for writing ventures. I was recently printed--or rather, my letter was--in a national publication. Sure, it's the free book review magazine BookPage, and clerks at the bookstore practically beg people to take extra copies sometimes, but I'm choosing to take it as a sign that I can and will be published, and I'm gluing the clipping in to memorialize this first big step. :)

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:09 pm

I should have said Naked Lunch by William Burroughs. Oops! :oops:

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:39 pm

9/6/05 Went to the library today. So much praise for Fate! Thank you, but I'm not sure I deserve it. It sure does make me feel warm and fuzzy. I checked out a bunch of YA fiction featuring aliens--hooray for Christopher Pike! and hey, it's research.

On the contest front: My postcard for Writer's Digest went out in the mail today, I looked up free contests at Winning Writer's, and I discovered that the winner of Wergle Flomp will be announced in August of next year!

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:40 pm

9/7/05 No blog tonight. Too tired.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:42 pm

9/8/05 I wrote a poem about my Grandpa who died in April. I let Mom read it. She cried a little. I don't think my poetry's ever made anybody cry before. Now she says she wants to read it to my Aunt. I'm uneasy about this.
I just wanted Mom to read it so she could tell me if it would bother her if it was published, since I'm sending it in to the Greensboro Literary Review Poetry contest. I feel sort of naked. I'm not used to this response.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:45 pm

9/9/05 I've had a pretty rotten day at work. Lots of sharp pain in my chest, clear through to my back, even though I've eaten twice as many Rolaids as usual. Mom and I think this is just from where I've pulled a muscle. Everybody says, "See a doctor!" Like that'll happen.
On the contest front: I got Catharsis ready for the Greensboro Literary Awards. We'll see what happens. Winners are notified by December 31st, so I guess after that I can send it elsewhere.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:56 pm

9/12/05 Poetry.com has accepted the middle chunk of my Wergle Flomp poem! Good grief! They really don't read anything, do they? I mean, I know they have a twenty-line requirement so I had to submit my poem in three pieces, but come on! This part doesn't have a beginning or an end--it starts and ends in mid-rant, and includes lines about "my work bound with insipid tripe" and "loser works fit only for toilet paper!" How they can they take that? Of course, it being submitted in three parts, I'm not surprised they missed the acrostic message: "Vanity Presses Take Advantage of Poor Deluded Slobs." I thought I would laugh when they accepted my poem, but I'm actually pretty angry. How dare they offer to print my poem--a blatant attack on everything they stand for--in their stupid anthology, Eternal Portraits?
And why aren't the other two parts good enough? :scratch:

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:11 pm

Tigerlily, you just had your first experience with the poetry.com way of doing things. They'll accept ANYTHING and expect you to buy the book at 39.95 for yourself and all your friends and relatives. I've won all kinds of "stuff" from them, "silver" medals, $100 worth of THEIR merchandise, a mouse pad, offers to print my stuff. ... I don't bite the bait.

tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:30 am

9/17 I just did the Weekend Word List Challenge. I managed to use all the words in their original order and write a 700+ word story. I think maybe I can keep going.
A thought: wouldn't it be interesting to tie all the weekend word lists together for an entire month, and make a novella? :D

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:39 am

9/20 What is a tanka? I have here a listing for a contest, International Tanka Splendor, deadline at the end of this month, but I don't know what a tanka is. Maybe I should sit this one out. :?

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:35 pm

tigerlily wrote:9/17 I just did the Weekend Word List Challenge. I managed to use all the words in their original order and write a 700+ word story. I think maybe I can keep going.
A thought: wouldn't it be interesting to tie all the weekend word lists together for an entire month, and make a novella? :D

By all means, go for it if you'd like, or maybe do all the ones for a quarter...!!!
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:13 pm

Hurray! I completed my 100th post, and now I am a Master Tripper! \:D/

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:36 pm

OK, somebody break out the leg irons and the cattle prod . . .

. . . or did we forget to tell you about THAT part of being a Master Tripper . . . ? :twisted:
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:03 pm

:shock:

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:08 pm

Sadly, I seem to be suffering from writer's block, and no stories have come to me this week. Perhaps, once the planning, preparing and selling of my jewelry at the Red Cross Christmas Bazaar, and my cousin's wedding--the same day!--are over with, I should be better able to focus.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:53 pm

Tigerlily...sorry I missed your post about tankas. A few weeks back, I listed a tanka contest in one of the weekly poetry challenges, with links to tanka sites (to bone up on what they are, etc.) Seee...check the challenges! :-D
Congrats on your 100th post.
What's the problem? Just write a poem about your jewelry!!
Then write a short story about a kid who steals one of your jewels off the table to bring his mother a present, etc.

tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:21 pm

New Year's Eve

What a nice Christmas I have had! First of all, I had both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off to spend with my family and rest my poor shoulder. Very nice, indeed.
But the festivities really began Thursday, with the Monstrous Convenience Christmas party. (I didn't bring a cheese ball; everyone was assigned a dish, and I was assigned cake, and non-chocolate, because Baba Yaga is allergic. I was also pretty much assigned a name to buy for: there were only two names left, Baba Yaga and the guy who's almost never there, and since he couldn't draw himself, I had to take him).
Everything was ice cold. The highlight of the day was Baba Yaga bursting into the stockroom/conference roo, shaking her present from No-Name at us. "It's chocolate! I know it's chocolate! Doesn't he know I can't eat it? We've been friends for years!" She shook the box at us. "Tell me that's not chocolate!"
When I returned to work that evening, there was a huge box of assorted chocolates on the stockroom table. My present was a ten dollar gift card from Monstrous Convenience, from Sugarfreak. I still haven't figured out what to get with it.
Friday night I had to work, so I missed the big Christmas party for my Dad's side of the family, but it was nice to come home and have Mom and Dad and my big brother Packrat all waiting for me to eat the leftover party food and open my presents, sort of like a late-night birthday.
I have a bunch of aunts. Aunt One lives in Texas, so she mails one present for the family. Aunt Two lives in Charleston, Aunt Three lives in Clifftop, and Aunt Four, my Mom's sister, lives in Oak Hill. Got that? Don't care? Fine. Moving on.
My present from Aunt Two was a black bird stting on a rock, and a tube of antibacterial hand lotion (Aunt Two is in nursing).
My present from Aunt Three was cucumber melon shower gel, a green apple candle, and Pure Seduction body spray from Victoria's Secret. Victoria's Secret! Oh, my aunts are so subtle (I am twenty-eight and Packrat is thirty-three, and it is a source of worry to the aunts that neither of us is married yet. Packrat tells me he got some good-smelling shave lotion; probably another subtle hint). We all had a good laugh.
And this year, my cousin Sunflower sent me a present and a note. Every time we have a holiday get-together, I have to work. In fact, I missed Sunflower's wedding because I had to work. She's beginning to think that I'm not actually working anywhere, and Mom and Dad are hiding me in the cupboard under the stairs, ala Harry Potter. She sent me a little painted terracotta box with three bracelets in it. The bracelets are green, and have little dangly good luck charms. The note, in silver ink on blue paper, said she hopes I find another job soon and she misses me. I'm just happy she doesn't hate me.
On Christmas Eve, we went to Aunt Four's house to exchange gifts. My present from Aunt Four was three cinnamon bun candles, a set of red pajamas, and two sheets of labels that say "Designed by (my name), that she wants me to put on my jewelry.
This set Packrat off on the ride home, trying to convince me to sell my jewelry on EBay, and we argued the pros and cons. I suppose he thinks I don't want to do it, because I don't know how to set up a PayPal account, and I don't know how to transfer images onto the Net, let alone that I don't have a digital camera, a computer, or internet access. He wants this to happen for me so badly, he's offered to build me a computer! It feels good to know Packrat believes in me. I just hope he recognizes my hesitation as caution, and not resistance.
I'm kind of afraid to use Aunt Four's labels, since there's a commercial for diamond jewelry, "Designs by (my name)!" Maybe I should google myself. Maybe I should go with Tigerlily Beads?
And Christmas Eve night, I played my yearly two games of chess with Packrat. He won both times, but I didn't mind.
For Christmas, from Packrat, I got a wheel of provolone, a wedge of oak-smoked cheddar, two bags of almonds, a bag of pecans, a bag of pistachios, and a little stuffed cat with this hilarious look of disgust on its face.
For Christmas, from Mom, I got two undershirts (to keep me warm at Monstrous Convenience), a nice orange paisley top, a floor-length black skirt, very soft blue pajamas covered in snowflakes, one of those neck things you can put in the microwave (this is AWESOME! I think it's why my shoulder is so nearly healed), makeup, and a new pillowcase for my body pillow, with moons and stars on it.
For Christmas, from Dad, I got a watch, a pedometer, a nice soft throw with Kokopelli on it, and a CD cabinet.
Then we had Christmas dinner with Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Four and Uncle Four and Mom and Dad and Packrat, and of course, me.
We had turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, ham, rolls, cranberry salad, sweet potato casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes, fruit salad, pumpkin bread, butterscotch pie, coconut cream pie, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, and punch.
It was a great day.
Oh, and I beat Aunt Four INTO THE GROUND playing Scrabble, even though she cheated.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:19 pm

What I Want This Year

In the past year, my Grandpa died, I got a wicked intestinal bug, I got called for jury duty, I pulled my neck and shoulder fairly badly, I got punk'd by job services of all people, my stone fetishes from Crazy Crow failed to arrive, my favorite watch fell apart, I missed Thanksgiving AGAIN, and let's not forget Mr. Scary.

In the new year, I wish all my relatives to be happy and safe.

For Buttongold64, I wish an easy pregnancy and healthy, normal baby.

For myself, I wish for: excellent health, no jury duty, a new job superior in every way to my job with Monstrous Convenience, the successful launching of my bead jewelry business, three pow wows, Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family, and a hot, wealthy, thoroughly sane and straight boyfriend.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 pm

I've decided it's finally time to get over my best male friend...Let's call him Trench. I was completely obsessed with him in college, and then he decided to hate me because a) I broke up with a friend of his, and b)I yelled at Trench's girlfriend. I haven't even laid eyes on Trench since 2000, but I still find myself crying about the whole mess. I seem to have trouble grieving and letting go.
So I went to the library and checked out a book called Seven Choices by Elizabeth Harper Neeld, Phd., and I've started keeping a grief journal.
I know, Trench isn't dead, but I have lost him just as completely, so I may as well "mourn" him, and get on with my life.
This is why I don't have very many points this year in the word-count challenge: I'm concentrating on personal reflections about Trench, and journaling doesn't count.
So far, it's rough. I'm having a lot of nightmares and missing him terribly. Guess I've reopened old wounds. But hey, if I'm not healing properly, maybe it's because Trench has infected my soul, and I need to cleanse myself emotionally and spiritually. I can think of no better way to do this than by starting a new journal.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
tigerlily

Postby tigerlily » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:44 am

Friday the Thirteenth

This is my journal.
I am going to write it by hand.
I am going to write in a plain black marble composition book, just like the ones I used in high school.
I like that it has lines, so I won't be writing on an upward slant, as I have a tendency to do.
I am going to write it by hand.
I like to write with 0.7 black Pentel Energel pens.
Today I was reading Scott Edelstein's book 30 Steps to Becoming a Writer, and I was shocked and amused to discover I didn't have all the necessary equipment. So when Mom and I went to the Enemy Camp, I purchased:

erasers that smell like green apples and watermelons,
jumbo paper clips,
butterfly clips, both large and small,
plain white business envelopes,
large flat envelopes,
blank mailing labels,
a bag of rubber bands,
a ledger,
and this journal.
It was fun. Tomorrow, I will make my room neat and organized, and find a place for all my nice new things. Maybe.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”