Gina's writing ramblings

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

angel
Master Tripper

Gina's writing ramblings

Postby angel » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:19 pm

About my writing. I write nonfiction and fiction. Fiction is slower in coming. My nonfiction takes the form of reviews and opinion pieces mostly. Some articles on writing as well. Back a few years ago, I had a weekly column on the Suite101 site. Back when they paid. I've also written on one of those pay per click review sites back in the day. Once again back when they paid.

Right now, I have a column following this season of Queer as Folk, and it is syndicated to both Gaywired and LesbiaNation. They've also picked up a music review of mine, and I've submitted others.

I also write shorter articles over on Blogcritics when the mood strikes. Right now I'm reviewing Dancing with the Stars and Real World: Austin on that site. I watch them, so I figure it's easy to review them. If they get picked up by another site, which happened with my Queer as Folk reviews, then its even better.

As for my fiction, I write romance. I write both male/female and male/male romance, sometimes erotica, and sometimes a little bit of both and we call that erotic romance!

Right now, I'm working on what started off as a short story to submit to an anthology. The word count limit was 2,500, and I learned early on that wouldn't work. It's at about 4,000 words right now. The genre is science fiction, perhaps more appropriately futuristic, and a gay romance.

I've been plagued with headaches this week because of the heat, so I've been focusing more on my nonfiction, which seems to come out of me easier, but I'm hoping to get more progress in my fiction soon too.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:25 am

You seem to be working the game well, Angel . . . in terms of getting your work out there.

I have discovered it is VERY hard to write short science fiction . . . too much to explain, I guess.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:23 pm

I try. I guess I've always heard you have to write and submit in order to do anything. My nonfiction has gotten more of a response so far, so I'm jumping on that while I work on improving my fiction writing.
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:07 pm

Copied from my blog post for today:

I turned in my column on Queer as Folk's episode last night, and I have to say I really enjoyed this episode. The paste few episodes have left me a little cold. I know the show is capable of better, and I know my column reflected that. I felt more like a critic than a reviewer, and I know there is a fine line between the two usually. It's sent in now, and now I just have to wait for it to go up. Well, wait, my column is already up. I just checked! If you want to read about what I thought of last night's Queer as Folk episode, go on over to here.

As for my fiction writing, it seems to be like pulling teeth right now to come out, and I have no idea why. At first the characters were just being so cooperative and working for me. now it seems like they are just standing there, and no matter how many times I poke them with this stick I have around for just that purpose, they don't seem to want cooperate. I'm hoping this is just a result of the heat, my headaches, and that's it. I was really enjoying playing with Kaelin and Daniel.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:54 pm

Cool column, Gina. Do they give you a set length, or do you just write what you want?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:05 pm

They gave me an idea when I started reviewing the show back during Episode III of the season. They seem to end up being between 1000 and 1200 words every week. When I started, they gave me a general idea of what they were looking for content wise, and I went from there.
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:29 pm

Earlier as I was sitting here at my desk, I think I finally figured out why Crash into me has come to such a halt writing wise. I've been on the same page for about a week now, and it is getting really frustrating. Insert a banging head against the wall smilie here. I think I figured out why, so maybe that will help me move on. I'm hoping so anyway. When I began the story, it wasn't supposed to turn into this long story. I was writing it with the intention of submitting it to an anthology I'd heard about that was looking for gay male alien erotica. So in my head, it was hot male alien meets hot gay human on Earth and they have sex. I never really went any further than that in my mind.

I knew early on that the story was turning into more than that, and I was willing to just allow the characters lead me where they wanted. Well, they have stopped leading me. I've reached the point where I think Daniel and Kaelin are going to have sex. About 4,000 words in, and it will happen unless one or the other decides to throw another curve ball at me. It could happen. Daniel seems to like throwing curves. I had no idea he could read Kaelin's thoughts until he informed me of that fact out of nowhere. Going back and re-reading the story, I kind of saw a bit of foreshadowing for that little tidbit, and I thought that was really cool.

I just don't know what happens next. I've played with some ideas in my head. I just don't know which way to go, if they do have sex now that is. I think that is why I've come to this halt. The story is set in the future, and Kaelin has come on mission to Earth to find a new home for the inhabitants of his home world because their planet is on its way to certain destruction.

One of the ideas, I'm playing with is he discovers that Earth isn't that place, and since it isn't he has to leave to find another place. This would mean leaving this man he has just found. Which is the huge black moment. Would Daniel go off planet hopping with this man he just met or is that totally unrealistic? That is where my problem lies! I'll have to give it more thought.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:36 pm

Would Daniel go off planet hopping with this man he just met or is that totally unrealistic?

I think that would depend on D's personality. Is he a risk taker? or is he reserved? Does he believe in stuff like knowing it's love from the beginning, etc.? Or perhaps he has always dreamed of the stars?
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:42 pm

See when the story began Daniel was really quiet. Then his character started to develop more in recent days. The more I wrote, the more he came out. At first it was Kaelin Kaelin Kaelin.

I'm not sure if Daniel would though. If I don't go with the happily ever after though, as is usually what is wanted in romance, am I setting myself up for problems submitting the piece in the long run?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Sometimes a "heartbreak" piece can be more romantic than leaving behind everything... I'm guessing maybe Daniel might have a stronger love that isn't necessarily physical...
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:49 pm

That's true, and right now I might be leaning more towards the heartbreak. I'm still thinking about it, but unless Daniel shocks me again I don't know if he would just up and leave his home.
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Read your column Gina...I was wondering. did you write any reviews for the "L Word" during either the first or second season. My cousin/best friend is Lesbian and I've watched all the Queer As Folks and L Word episodes with her.
Also, do you consider it easier to get published writing for the gay market rather than the straight one. I've considered trying my hand at maybe writing something to submit to the Advocate or some of the other mags. that are mostly for Lesbians.
I've noticed in any case, more and more male/female romances are having gay characters that are related to, or are friends with, either of the leading characters and the leading characters are either ok with the lifestyle or remain neutral.
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:26 pm

Hi Bess. I wrote a few reviews of the L word on a free content site, but at that point I wasn't aware of the site I sell my content to now. Apparently, from what I've heard the gay market needs more good writing. My editor found my reviews, and made some suggestions because in their original format they weren't suitable for publication by them. Once I followed through with their suggestions, they were willing to pick me up for the season. There is also hope for me to review other thingsand other shows. I'm not limited to reviews either, but I haven't had a good idea for an article come up yet. The site also picked up a CD review I wrote on Coldplay's newest CD. The pay isn't stellar, but they pay quick, and it builds up your clips. I can direct you to the site I go through if you're interested.

I've also seen that more gay characters are being placed in traditional romances. They are usually a secondary pairing. Beth Ciotta's trilogy is one that immediately comes to mind where this occurs. Her blog is linked on my sidebar of my blog if you're interested in taking a look.
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:17 am

Been feeling a bit under the weather the last couple of days, but I've kept the writing up as much as I can. Reviewed the shows I usually review for over at Blogcritics. Also saw MSN is looking to hire contributing editors to monitor their blogs. I threw my hat in the ring for the television blog. Prepared and sent in the requested material for that tonight. So I'll have to wait and see if I hear back.

Worked some on Crash into me last night too. Found a new critique partner, and sent her off what I have so far of the story, and I'm waiting to hear back on that from her.
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:32 pm

Still haven't heard back from my new critique partner on Crash into me. Just thought of that. I think I'll email her tomorrow. Not such a productive weekend on the fiction front, but things are moving right along. Submitted a few articles, and two of three were picked up. One of them being my Queer as Folk column for last night's episode. The other was a news piece, and I'm not sure if the third was picked up yet. Hadn't heard back on that.

As far as the fiction goes, I have a few things with deadlines coming up soon. A new contest that was just announced that I want to submit one or two entries too, and another with a deadline at the end of this month. Keeping busy even with the holiday. Happy 4th everyone!
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:37 pm

Happy 4th! (And stop kicking my arse in the wordcount challenge, lol!)
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks! I'm sorry lol!
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:42 pm

Well, I finally heard back from my critique partner! And the critique was good. She made some good suggestions on things, but she said she got so caught up in the story, she had to go back to make those comments. She responded to all the little scenes I'd hoped would grab a reader. I had been really worried about Crash into me, and I wasn't sure if it was going right. After the critique, I'm feeling quite positive about it, and I'm sure I'll be able to pick up where I left off late last week.

Also just submitted another article to an online zine, so I'll see how that goes.
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:15 pm

Some things came up personally the last few weeks, so I've been focusing on getting what little I can nonfiction wise because my creativity fictionally has been next to nil. I'm hoping to change that.

I've shown what I have of Crash into me to my CP's. The one's reaction to the story was really promising, so I just need to find my muses and push on, while also working on some other submissions as well.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:33 pm

Sometimes those darn muses like to hide... in the strangest places. :wink:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:07 am

Don't they? I'm still able to work on my nonfiction, luckily.
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:25 am

I didn't even notice this until a friend of mine that also writes for this site pointed it out. Blogcritics, one of the sites I write for named me Blogcritic of the day for July 30th, which is just saying I'm the writer for the day of the site. I wouldn't even have noticed it if not for my friend, but my blog is linked right on the left sidebar in there adspace. The site gets at least 50,000 hits a day, so I'm really excited about it.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Angel, I like your quote! Coldplay ROCKS!!
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
angel
Master Tripper

Postby angel » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:38 pm

Thank you!
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:40 pm

You're Welcome! :rock:
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."

-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”