Writing Quirks

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:30 am

UnCoolDuck wrote:Okay, I'm in. I just registered at the site. Here's to December 1st and the crappiest 50k word novel EVER!!! :-D

that's what REWRITING is for :D
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:05 am

I'm really close to wrapping up the writing project I have been working on for most of the summer. So, I have started this morning putting together my character list and plot ideas for my NaNoWriMo novel. It is so exciting to start on a new idea. I also want to start thinking about which challenge I am going to attempt for Novel Writing Week.

I'm finding one of my toughest decision is naming my characters. Babynames.com is becoming one of my most visited sites. I did find a really interesting name today that I love...Japheth. I have a character imagined that is an object of desire for my main character who is the suave, cool office Don Juan. I am debating between naming him Japheth and Malcolm. I was thinking about Malcolm Japheth, but I'm not sure that Japheth works as a last name. Any thoughts, any one?
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:10 am

I can't picture Japheth as suave cool Don Juan.... I just think of Noah's son in the bible (Shem, Ham and Japheth)... and there's not many people in the bible that bring to mind Don Juan for me.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 am

I looked up the names that mean "handsome," and according to babynames.com Japheth is Hebrew for handsome.
Rebecca

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:32 pm

Allan (my middle name) means "handsome" too! :-D
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:30 pm

I saw that. My dad and brother's middle name is Allen. Which leads to me to another issue? Is anyone else apprehensive about naming a character a name of someone you know? Especially someone close to you who might read the story, even if it is never published...
Rebecca

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:53 pm

All my characters seem to name themselves. Some may have had the same first or last name, but never full name as someone I've known (yet). And none so far have had the same characteristics if they shared a name (yet). Not sure how I'd handle things if they had the same name and characteristics - I might have to chastize my subconscious then...
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:26 am

If it's a common name like Ann or Bob I don't think it matters (unless you give them those people's stats). But if you have a friend/family member with a really unusal name and you use it they might wonder. Just make sure that character is defined as someone else.
Is this my reality or yours?
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Novel writing week starts in about 24 hours. I haven't written at all this week. Shame on me. I could give a bunch of excuses why I haven't written...but I've figured out that excuses don't write novels. :oops:

For novel writing week, I am planning a short story. I really struggle with short stories. I either don't develop them enough, or I get them so complicated that they start to resemble novellas. I haven't really given much thought to any sort of short story that I would write for this week. I may spend some time tomorrow looking through the writing challenges and some the story prompts I have socked away in a journal. This will be one of my most organically written projects. I may also listen to "On Writing" again this week to get fired up for NaNoWriMo. I have worked on a character list for my novel, but that is about it. I'm not the biggest fan of plot outlines. I usually find them a waste of time, because I end up not following them. I just let my characters steer the story. This week will also be a test of whether or not I can stay sitting behind my laptop. I usually prefer paper and colorful ink pens. It's more fun that way. However, 50,000 hand-written words is not a mountain I chose to climb. First of all, I don't even want to attempt to count that many words manually.

Let's get it on...
Rebecca

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Gee, bf, I hate writing by hand. I think much better and can get the thoughts down quicker with the computer and it's easier to go back and change as you work without having a mess of crossed out stuff and arrows going from here to there and all that jumble.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:09 am

Mlou wrote:Gee, bf, I hate writing by hand. I think much better and can get the thoughts down quicker with the computer and it's easier to go back and change as you work

That's one of the main reasons I write totally by hand for my initial drafts. It basically forces me to move on with the story. I'm actually faster finishing a story draft by hand because I just don't change things until I type it in for what is in effect my second draft. It takes me longer to type in a first draft because of the convenience to change things, so I spend more time doing it...
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:52 am

I use to write ALL my first drafts by hand. Now I find I just write them in whatever situation is best. Sometimes it's by hand; sometimes by computer.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:55 am

The only times I write my first drafts by computer is stuff I don't really care about, which brings me to the main reason I write by hand: It feels more personal. More like it was created by me because there on the paper is my words in my hand. The computer seems too impersonal for ownership.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:00 am

Well, I write some things that I don't WANT to own until they've gone through several edits. :?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:05 am

Well, I like to love even my ugly babies unless I know they aren't really mine...
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:14 am

I think the personal aspect is another reason why I love to write by hand. Also, I lose too many ideas to the backspace key. If I write something and think I might not like then I will bracket it off or draw a line through it...it's not gone forever. There have been several times when I have dismissed something at first to only go back and find that it really does work.
Rebecca

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:47 am

I don't bracket or cross out, I just press on. I let my revisionist brain work only while typing in the second draft when I know more about the story as a whole, and surprisingly there is less revisions then than when I type stories from scratch.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:05 am

Well, I'd love to say that, on the computer, I write it so perfectly the first time that it's all ready to go by the time I reach the end. And if you accept that, I have a lovely bridge in Brooklyn that I can let you have at a really great price.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:12 am

Mlou, to go with your perfect writing and that lovely bridge...I can through in some ocean front property...in Oklahoma.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:20 pm

Taking another pause from writing. I haven't checked my word count for the day yet. I complete 180 from when I was in college. I was constantly checking my word count. Write a sentence...check my word count. I was obsessive about it. Now, I'm obsessive in the opposite way. I know how many words I wrote yesterday and how many pages that took. I don't want to check my word count until I reached yesterday's page count, so I don't get disappointed. I can be so neurotic at times. Ok, so I'm neurotic most of the time. I'm kind of sloppy at home. Not dirty, just more cluttery. However, at work, if there is so much as an ink pen out of place, I will freak. I know if there has been someone at my desk when I'm not there. I obsess about the strangest stuff. Ok...now that I have admitted I have a problem, I need to get to writing so I can check my word count sometime today.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 pm

Some more quirky behavior reared it head tonight. I met my page count from yesterday, so I checked my word count. I was only a few words from having 1600 words, so I wrote some more. When I checked my word count again, I was at 1982. I can't stop THAT close to 2k. So, I wrote some more. I am going to bed with 2113 words written. Not too shabby.

On another note. I wrote tonight with Bentley curled up on my lap. This is so precious to me. He just rests in my lap as I peck away on my keyboard. Kira would wind in between the legs of my chair and now she is curled up on the back of the couch watching me. I love my babies.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 pm

**BIG SIGH** I was really enjoying Novel Writing Week, and really looking forward to NaNoWriMo...but then life reared its ugly head. I've been dealing with a sick animal, a spastic landlord, and the longing to see my new nephew, but it will be at least two more weeks before I can go home to see him. Then, I finally come to the realization that it is not possible for me to go home for Thanksgiving. This is especially heartbreaking, because I love Thanksgiving. My grandparents are a hoot, and I cherish the time I get to spend with them. But not this year. The upside is that I will have some uninterrupted writing time. I might be able to meet my NaNo goal, as long as Bentley stays healthy and my landlord doesn't drop anymore last minute move out of your kitchen bombs on me.

For the last two days of October, I am going to jot down some final thoughts on the story I was working on for Novel Writing Week, and shelf it until December. I am looking forward to diving into my NaNoWriMo novel. Yea...it's a day away.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:45 pm

Wow, it's been awhile since I have posted in this thread. Another indication that I didn't do much writing in 2007. I was reading back through this thread, and found a little discussion that got a little heated where another poster suggested that I focus. He's right. I had a conversation with a friend the other day. She was stating that she is having a hard time deciding what she wants to do when she finishes school, because there isn't anything that she is passionate about to pursue. I, on the other hand, am passionate about so many things that it is hard for me to focus. I love the written word, and would love to pursue a career in publishing...and then I go to the gym, and remember how much I love fitness and walking, and think I might want to pursue a career in the healthcare world...and then, I remember how much I love children and love to watch them learn and think I might want to pursue education...and then, I spend a day watching football, and think I might want to pursue a career in the sports industry. When I grow up I want to be a novelist/editor/personal trainer/history teacher/sports attorney...problem solved. :D Ok, so maybe not. However, I'm ready to get my novel finished. So, look for more blog entries to come in 2008.
Rebecca

donduck
Wordtripper

Postby donduck » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:43 am

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know what you're saying! I want to be a writer, play my piano, organ and clarinet, ice skate, garden, knit, crochet, cross-stitch, walk my dogs, rollerblade, ride my bike, work on my ton of embroidery projects, puzzles, continue my studies of natural health and travel!!! When I bought my clarinet, my husband asked, "Just when are you going to have time to play that -- while you're ice skating?"
donduck

First, think. Second, believe. Third, dream. And finally, dream. -- Walt Disney

...between the worlds of men and make-believe, I can be found. -- Dan Fogelberg
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:45 am

Soooo...why don't you combine your interests by Writing about your different areas of interest. :D
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”