Writing Quirks

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:16 pm

You just have to understand that "focus" is in different forms for different people. You can certainly spend 75 percent of your "writing time" on your novel and devote another 25 percent to giving yourself a breath from it. You can even go 50-50 on it. It totally matters what your GOAL is with your writing.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:25 pm

xcheck24 wrote:You just have to understand that "focus" is in different forms for different people. You can certainly spend 75 percent of your "writing time" on your novel and devote another 25 percent to giving yourself a breath from it. You can even go 50-50 on it. It totally matters what your GOAL is with your writing.

I'm getting a bit turned around here. Somebody laments the inability to move a project forward. I think I detect a lack of focus (could be wrong, certainly). I advise FOCUS. The real question is -- Is there something wrong with this advice?

Now, if this person's goal is to continue all the activities at once, and she is determined to do that, I admit, I really don't know what to tell her. It's just that I noticed the lament for the book only, not the other things. Furthermore, the reason I say FOCUS on the book is because it is so much more time consuming. To write a 100K word novel (my first 2 were that big) took me a good deal more time than ALL the poems I wrote in college combined. That's just a fact of life, NOT A PUT DOWN TO POETS.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Go for it, bf! A well rounded life adds experience and depth to your writing. An ivory tower is nice in theory but real life has a way of throwing curves. :)
And it IS possible to do it all. When CZ has been around as long as this ancient crone has, he may yet "meet" an author who, in his opinion, has successfully published in just about every area of writing.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Mlou wrote:Go for it, bf! A well rounded life adds experience and depth to your writing. An ivory tower is nice in theory but real life has a way of throwing curves. :)
And it IS possible to do it all. When CZ has been around as long as this ancient crone has, he may yet "meet" an author who, in his opinion, has successfully published in just about every area of writing.

Then again, I may not.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:55 pm

CZ75 wrote:I'm getting a bit turned around here. Somebody laments the inability to move a project forward. I think I detect a lack of focus (could be wrong, certainly). I advise FOCUS. The real question is -- Is there something wrong with this advice?

And read bf's answer above to that. She does a lot of other things besides her writing, which in an effect HELPS her with her writing. She's not going to give those things up, and, honestly, I don't think she should. Living life is what gives you the color to your work.

Personally, I have a thesis to finish writing so I can get my masters degree in my hand. There has been a ton of work along the road to get my degree in the last year too. There has been plenty of things I could kick out of my life to completely focus on the school work, but I didn't. And I still don't. Why? Because I would go INSANE and I'd be miserable. And if you're miserable, you CAN'T focus.

So again, focusing is different things for different people. Some people can sit down and write 24-7 on one project and do nothing else. Good for them. But not all of us can do that.
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:05 pm

These other things do not "help" her writing enough, or she would not have been lamenting the lack of progress and asking for advice. Three years = less than 1 chap .... Whole book equals 150 years. This is a problem. She asked for advice, I offered it. Now everybody is jumping down my throat like I have a hole in my marble bag. 1. If you set out to do something incredibly hard (can we agree that writing a novel qualifies?) you probably shouldn't say "Well, I want to do this, but I don't want to give up this or this or this or this or this or this." When I went to college, I gave up a lot. When I joined the Corps, I gave up a lot. When I wrote my books, I gave up a LOT. I'm sure the exact same holds true for everybody else in the world. 2. Instead of everybody pointing out that my advice to focus on a difficult task is somehow the product of a fevered mind, how about you all offering her advice of your own. Go back and read the entire thread and you will see a good deal of lamenting the ability to move forward. My advice was to focus. Everybody else's is to.....
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:44 pm

Ok, well thanks for responding to my lament from a year ago. However, I have banged out almost 7,000 words after the past two days, and over 11,000 this month. From my first "lament," I moved to a new state and started a new job. I have been able to "focus" my life a little narrower on my novel now that my life has calmed down a little.

Thanks to all for your advice, and to not to be cruel...can we please take this conversation out of blog? I'm trying to keep positive thoughts here. THANKS!!! :D
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 am

bfsooner wrote:Ok, well thanks for responding to my lament from a year ago."

You are very welcome.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:05 pm

I finished Stephen King's book on writing today. I really liked it. I read Christine years ago, and didn't like it at all. Base off of that one book, I decided that I really didn't like Stephen King. Now, I want to read so of his other novels. I'm especially interested in Misery because I love the movie. But back to the writing book, I think this is one of the best books on writing that I have encountered. King has approached with honesty...I appreciate that. He gave me a lot to think about in my own writing. I also left with a game plan for approaching my novel, especially with regards to NaNoWriMo. I wanted to jump up with joy when he expressed his opinions on plotting. I HATE PLOTTING!!! It is unnatural for me. Even when I do plot, I never follow it. Ok...enough blogging...much put pen to paper and ride this wave of enthusiasm!!! My thanks to Stephen King.
Rebecca

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:09 pm

I'm always telling myself I'm going to read that. So far, nada.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Yeah, that's gotta be one of the best advice book for writer's out there. And *I* actually *read* it!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:46 am

bfsooner wrote:I finished Stephen King's book on writing today. I really liked it. I read Christine years ago, and didn't like it at all. Base off of that one book, I decided that I really didn't like Stephen King. Now, I want to read so of his other novels. I'm especially interested in Misery because I love the movie.

*cough*Steinbeck*cough* Did you hear something? :D :wink:

I've read a bunch of King but I haven't liked them all. I loved Misery, The Dark Half, Pet Cemetary and The Dark Tower series. I didn't like Christine but I think that's because I read it before I learned how to drive so cars didn't really mean anything to me.
Is this my reality or yours?
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 am

I loved "On Writing". One of my other favorite writing books is Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing".
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:20 am

**Sigh** I'm losing a little of my momentum. Part of it is my work is draining me, and I come home exhausted. Another part is that other distractions are starting to creep into my writing time. But, I am really liking what I'm getting down on paper, and I'm looking forward to what the finished product will be.
Rebecca

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:56 am

"Other distractions", Sooner?

That sounds interestingly vague . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:13 am

my guess is football
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 pm

Football...and a new season of tv. It was a lot easier when reruns were on...but I just can't miss the new ones!!! Ok, so I could, but I don't wanna (pouts like a child).
Rebecca

hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:13 pm

I used to write while I was watching TV. Especially during the commercials.

Probably not the most productive way to go though.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Tonight is going to be especially hard because it's the premiere of the Biggest Loser, America's Next Top Model which are on at the same time...and THEN, Project Runway, Laguna Beach, and a new Criminal Minds are all on at the same time. AHHH!!! I need three tvs.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:25 pm

October starts in a few hours...and so does the countdown to NaNoWriMo. For October, I am going work on writing more on my laptop computer as opposed to my laptop notebook pad. I just hope I don't lose too much writing to the backspace key (one of the many reasons I write on paper with an indelible ink pen). I think this is necessary if I'm going to get 50k in November. I am going to work on fleshing out my character profiles and getting my settings worked out. I don't outlines, so I don't have to worry about one of those. I have 31 days to create my NaNoWriMo "toolbox." And all I have to say is "Bring It On, Suckas." :D
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Woo...hoo...just completed one item for my "toolbox." I built a spreadsheet to keep count of my words with another area to see how many more words I need to go to reach my goal. I'm such an Excel nerd.
Rebecca

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Wishing all you guys luck. I already know I'll never try this, but have respect for all that try...
UnCoolDuck
Master Tripper

Postby UnCoolDuck » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:44 am

Okay, I'm in. I just registered at the site. Here's to December 1st and the crappiest 50k word novel EVER!!! :-D
"Life's a long song." - Ian Anderson
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:23 am

I'm official now. 30 days to store up sleep.
Rebecca

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 am

Well, bf if you keep your fingers moving forward you'll have no need for the backspace key.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”