Writing Quirks

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

donduck
Wordtripper

Postby donduck » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm

It all comes down to time and motivation. What mood I am in. When the spirit moves me. I wish I were an octopus sometimes.
donduck

First, think. Second, believe. Third, dream. And finally, dream. -- Walt Disney

...between the worlds of men and make-believe, I can be found. -- Dan Fogelberg
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Ever have a day when a song just gets stuck in your head? You try to listen to it to satisfy that trigger in your brain, and then listen to something else to get THAT song out of your head. But it keeps coming back. That happened to me today. I was having a great day, and this song didn't match the mood of the day. But as I tried to get to get this song out of my head, I saw a scene. I reached for the closest piece of paper and ink pen. It's the most inspired piece of writing I've written in years...if ever. Thank you, Michael Stipe.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I have that happen often... but there was once when I had a song that would not go away for over a week. AND... AND... I would hear it in my dreams as well.

Talk about thinking I was going to go insane!!!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Well, if this song creeps into my dreams, then I might need to discuss going back on anti-depressants. It's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, and after I researched it...it really depressed me.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Reading back through this thread, I am reminded of my preference of handwriting over drafting on a laptop. This is still my preference; however, at the ripe old age of 31 my hands are starting to show signs of rheumatoid arthritis. My mother was my age when she was diagnosed with RA, and I am learning to type over handwrite for comfort reasons (although I still keep a handwritten journal). After my last laptop crashed in the summer of 2009, I bought a desktop which has never let me down. However, now that I am writing so much more now, I really needed (yes, needed) a laptop. I love getting out into the world to write. Desktops don't work very well for that. So, we'll see how writing goes with a laptop, and I will try not to be haunted by the darn blinking cursor!!!
Rebecca

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:58 am

I'm sorry, bf...but glad you can negotiate the keyboard...we HAVE to have some outlet! :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Whoop...whoop!!! The writing muses have graced me with their presence again. I started a novel back in 2004 while taking a writing workshop, and have done very little with it since then. I discovered the manuscript while snowed in during the February ice storms, and a couple of weeks ago started working on it again. I've made some observations going over my first 18 pages (approximately 10,000 words).

1) It's a little painful reading back through this draft, but I have to keep reminding myself I was 25 when I drafted it.

2) There have been many edits based simply on the advances in technology. In one scene, I have my main character telling her grandmother that she took "2 rolls" of pictures. I got a really good laugh out of that one. She is also running with a Walkman.

3) My original draft is not as bad as I felt it was when I first wrote it. I really do like my main character.

Current word count in the new attempt at this draft = 4345
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm

Whoop...whoop!!! First 10,000 words are written!!! Now on to the next 10,000...
Rebecca

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 18, 2011 5:40 am

Yay!!! Way to go bf.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 pm

How did I miss this?
YAY!
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:39 am

Hey, BF, how are you progressing?? Hope you're still fired up and writing. Nothing wrong with "2 rolls of film"...if it's a period piece. lol
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”