Writing Quirks

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Writing Quirks

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, I have not done any productive creative writing today. However, Saturday and Sunday were perfect writing days for me. I started on a new short story. This wonderful character came to me Saturday morning begging that I tell her story. She is very unlike my other characters. My other female characters have been victims of their circumstances, but Angela is the victimizer. She is also quite funny. In a little under four hours, I had seven pages and over 2500 words of her story down on paper. That is a first for me. I'm so glad that I only have four days left at my job, I will have some more daylight before my move to find out more about her!
Last edited by bfsooner on Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon May 30, 2005 8:52 pm

Good going. Keep it up while the spirit moves you!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon May 30, 2005 10:30 pm

Ok, so I've tabled the novel for a little while so I can focus some of my efforts on a short story and working on a piece about my relationship with my father, and then of course, my personal journaling. However, ignoring my novel seems like I'm ignoring a child. It calls to me in the middle of the night, and while I'm sitting in a meeting, and when I'm driving home from work. Then I sit down to work on it, and then I find myself working on something else. I think about my main character quite a bit, yet I find myself not really wanting to tell her story. It's almost like sharing my best friend's secret. I would feel like I'm betraying her if I revealed her thoughts, emotions, and feelings...yet, I'm a writer...that's what I'm suppose to do. She's just a fictional character, but she's more than that. Any advice???
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:51 pm

Words have been pouring out of my head lately. I think that the relief of not having to go work a job that I don't enjoy has released some of the tension that has been holding back my writing. I've found that I am able to write more passionately about uncomfortable emotions, and I was actually able to write about a fight I had in college with one of my roommates. I am hoping that I can keep this up, and that it is not just a one-time fluke.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:39 pm

It was so wonderful to wake up this morning, and to write. I didn't have to worry about forcing myself to get everything down on paper before I had to start getting ready for work. I'm still kind of freaking out about not having a job yet, but I still have some time before I hit full out panic mode. I'm really enjoying some exercises from "The Fiction Writer's Workshop" to get some short story ideas. I forgot how many funny childhood stories I have...like the time my mom and I fell down a mountain in Steam Boat Springs. Words have just been flowing out of me over the past couple of days. I definitely need to take advantage of it!
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:18 am

Yesterday, I was working on another exercise out of the "Fiction Writer's Workshop" about objects from your childhood home. I remembered this purple dress that my mother made for me when I was six to play dress-up in. I got for Christmas with a hoop skirt to go under it so I could play Southern Belle. This dress is the inspiration for a short story that I am working on. It was such a special dress to me. I wore it until it was thread bare.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:48 pm

Today was the perfect reading/writing/sleeping day. Actually, today was one of the most productive writing days I've had in a while. What is it about raw anger and thunderstorms that inspires one to write? I've decided that I want to start on my novel again. When I started it before it was the best therapy for my depression, and now I want to dive back into it. I think I've been doing enough research on how to write a novel that I can keep my writing focused, and I've thought a lot about my character. She feels like the sister I've never had.
Rebecca

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:18 am

I never had a sister either. Or rather I did, but she died before I was born. Would have been nice to have had one.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:30 am

Growing up, I always tried to trade my brother to people who had sisters. Everyone thought they were getting the raw end of the deal...I had to agree. But my brother's pretty cool now...and I sorta have a sister now that he's married.
Rebecca

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:48 am

I dunno . . . sisters are kind of a pain . . . I mean, they grow up ok, but as kids, well . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:12 pm

Ok, so I have a taken about a week off from writing in my personal journal, and squeezing in time on my novel when the family was either asleep or not paying any attention to me (which isn't often). Now I have a whole house pretty much to myself (I live with my grandparents in their massively huge golf course house so there is plenty of room for everyone), and I want to return my fictional world. I am hoping to get some scenes that I have floating in my brain organized onto paper. I think this will really make the first part of my novel jel and set up the "crisis." Ok, because I'm getting so excited about it, I'm going to stop blogging and starting writing...until next time...
Rebecca

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:29 pm

You go, girl.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:23 pm

Send me some of that excitement. I'm getting bogged down. If I stop editing for a few days, then I can't seem to get going again. *sigh*

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:00 am

Yesterday, I tuned out my inner critic, and just sat down and let the words flow out of me. Now, I can go back and (cringe) outline and plot my novel. I have always hated outlining, and still do to this day. I would think bad things of teachers and professors who wanted me to submit an outline of a paper I hadn't written yet. However, I'm seeing the necessity of an outline as I progress further into my novel. Occassionally, I am known to go off on tangents, like the time I was telling my brother a story and then a rabbit hopped past us and I started telling another story about how I was almost bit by a rabbit when I was little and now I am afraid of rabbits, and then I got back to telling him the original story. So, I need an outline to keep me on track. I am also going to update my character profiles. I have one character that just keeps telling me more about them. I try to tell her shut up and that she isn't the main character, but she doesn't listen to me. Oh well...I'll get all figured out eventually.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:37 pm

Boy, oh boy, I have set my goal of writing 25,000 words this month. So far I have a little of 1500 words. Not a bad start. But it is easy to get a lot of words on paper in the infancy of a novel, and I am beginning to wonder if it will become more difficult as the novel progresses. This is going to be a fun month, but I am looking at it as practice for NaNo.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:01 pm

So far so good on my writing goals (not just number of words, but plot progression as well). I really want to flesh out the plot and the characters this month, before I start back to school. That's one of the difficulties of writing a literary fiction novel, the absence of a genre formula. I mean there still is a "formula," but it allows for some variations. In fact, I think it is expected. So, therefore, I have this really great character with all of her problems, yet I don't want my novel to appear canned, so to speak. So, before August 18, when I am back into school, I need to have my outline somewhat solidified. I hate outlining by the way. I have NEVER liked outlining...ever. Just ask Mr. Ellis from my 8th grade Civics class...he is the one that made me hate it. Thanks a lot, Mr. Ellis. Ok, so I need to go write now...right now.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:23 am

So, I ended up not writing last night...instead I fell asleep watching "Ocean's Twelve." I think it was probably nine o'clock at night when I did fall asleep...boy, I'm getting old. So, this afternoon will be solely dedicated to writing for me to get back on track to my goal of 25,000 words this month, and to get my novel plotted out, and so forth.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:25 am

So, I've been busy writing again. I have written a little over 8,000 words this month. It feels good to have that much accomplished. My novel is really starting to develop, and lives of Nora and Cady are becoming real. It is a very exciting feeling. Also, my mother wants me to write an article about her and my dad for the publication of an organization that they belong to. Looking forward to getting started on that.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:47 pm

Been writing a little bit, but mostly working on my outline. I've gotten to the point where I need to put the novel on a direct path. There are a couple of characters that I need to go back and complete. Right now, Rita, the main character's mother, is kind of weak. I also need to work on her new "guy friend." I really don't have a name for him yet, he just kind of arrived in the outline. Giving her another reason to stay where she is, making her ultimate decision more difficult.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:36 am

My writing lately has been limited to my journal, but I've had a lot to journal. Just over the past two weeks, I have lost a grandmother and started a marathon-training program that has brought up old memories of my husband. I have let work take over all of my energy, because I'm just happy to be gainfully employed again. Somehow, I need to learn to balance the energy I put forth at work and with writing. Usually one takes over the other. If I write first thing in the morning, then I have no energy for work. If I wait to write after I get home from work, then I have no energy to write. Somewhere there needs to be a happy balance, because I want both of them. Is that too much to ask for?
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:13 pm

Wow, it's been over a month since I posted here. Well, I've been writing again. The characters in my novel have been popping into my thoughts everywhere. Today, while I was at Target, I had a great scene come to mind. The dialogue takes place at a very emotional point in the book, and I knew that if I stopped in the middle of the store and wrote it down, I would probably start crying. So, I kept running it through my mind, as I raced for the check out line without finishing my shopping list. One of the biggest stumbling blocks with my writing is that I have been avoiding emotion in my writing. I've finally gotten to a point in my personal life, that I can deal with true, raw emotion. It still isn't easy, but it doesn't send me directly into a depressive nosedive straight into my bottle of Xanax.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:10 pm

Grrr...so I was working on a short story this morning, and set it down to watch a very important program on tv (the OU/Nebraska game) and then went back to writing. I am writing along just fine, until I realized something...I had shifted tenses!!! What the ??? I don't usually write from the 1st pov, but I'm giving it a try for something different, and I think this was part of the problem. I was in the present tense writing this morning, and had a scene worked out in my head. When I went back to write, in my mind, the scene had already happened, and I was just retelling it...oops...tense shift!!! Well, I guess I can go back and revise now.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:41 pm

It was fun writing the "What If" tonight. It was the first time I wrote from the pov of the opposite sex. I guess it is so daunting if you are only writing a few words, and not thousands of them. I wish I had it in me to stay up all night writing, but I have way too much to do at work tomorrow to not have a full night of sleep. I'm very motivated to stay on top of things this year. I'm going to keep depression at bay, and write and walk my way through the hardest time of the year!!! And maybe it will happen if I keep telling myself that it will actually happen this year...
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:53 pm

On Christmas evening, I had a really good idea for a story. I was looking at my gifts, particularly the Cinderella DVD and figurine, and was kind of giggling about how much Cinderella stuff I get. There's a story behind all of it. When I was three years old, my mother, my aunts, female cousins, and I went to see Cinderella in the theaters. This would've been around 1982, so going to the movies was still a really big deal. I don't think we owned a VHS player yet. So, anyway, the theater was packed, and in order for my whole family to sit together, I had to sit on my mother's lap. During the whole movie, I was clutching the back of the chair in front of me with excitement. By the time the ball scene came, I was completely entralled, and then came a moment that will live in my family's history forever. As Prince Charming descended the stairs to dance with Cinderella, I jump off my mom's lap squealing and jumping up and down. Then I begin yelling, in a packed theater mind you, "That's my daddy. That's my daddy. That's my daddy." As my cousins, who were 7, 9, 11, all try to hide from the embarrassment, my mom attempts to calm me down. We have no idea how I got my father and Prince Charming confused, but it still brings laughter at times.

So, I was thinking that I could create a character with a "princess complex." A young lady who's every wish had been catered to her until she steps into the "real world." I think it would be fun to play up the "princess" asepect as well. Maybe even to lampoon or satirize it a bit. I have started jotting down ideas for her character. Hee...hee...this is going to be fun.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:26 pm

I have spent the afternoon of my "day off" working on my new novel idea. I forgot how much I hate the early stages of novel writing. Ok, so I don't hate it, I just wish it would come a little bit quicker. I'm trying to get a good picture of my main character. However, I can't even decide on a name for her. I want it to be something kind of plain or maybe something "love child-ish." Part of the storyline is that she is going to have her name legally changed so it sounds "royal." I think I have a pretty good idea of what she looks like. However, I still need to get her personality nailed down. I know a lot of this will develop through the writing process, but I still need to figure her out a little bit. I've been using a "Character Profile" question list that I got off a writing website a long time ago, and it's really helping. But, I still have quite a few research flags. Therefore, I need to finish off this blog and get back to researching. :yimnerd:
Rebecca

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”