Hiss's Writer's Blog/log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:32 pm

I signed up after your email but haven't done anything and don't have a link... will let you know. :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:40 pm

I'll keep my eyes open...you have my email, so make sure to add it to your subscribers list (SL).

The way it works is that you get either a flat rate fee and a payment per view or just a payment per view. By adding me to your SL, when you publish a piece I can then go in and look at it..and that adds to your per view count.

:D

You won't get rich, but hey every penny counts...grin
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:48 pm

I have to bow in gratitude to one MLOU!!!!!!!!!

She has been trying to get me to submit to the Christian Science Monitor for a while now. But, this time I listened.

They have bought a piece on Whitewater rafting, although I still don't know when it will be published. When I do I will post the link here for you all to see.

Thanks Mlou, you are the greatest. Now get your DVD fixed and watch Fried Green Tomatoes....Twandaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Oh and I have another piece on associated content. This will get you to my content page and the articles are at the bottom.. The new one is on Thanksgiving. Also, have one in review on Breast Cancer testing. Although I'm not sure if it's up their alley, we'll see....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/7 ... white.html
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 am

3 cheers for Hiss! :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 pm

As You Know September is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It only seems appropriate that Associated Content would publish this next piece as the month is wrapping up.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=5

Please remember to get your routine screening. The earlier breast cancer is detected the more likely you are to survive a cancer diagnosis.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:07 pm

I'm now writing a review of new restaurant on the scene in my home town. Boston, is a city comprised of several smaller enclaves. East Boston being one of them. This former island was actually here before Boston proper and had undergone many transformations.

This new restaruant--an urban chic martini bar-- not only heralds a new waterhole, but the changing face of the city. In the many generations of that our families have lived here, East Boston has never been static. It has reinvented itself with each new wave of immigration. From English to Irish to Italian and on...now it seems it is morphing again not in ethnic origin but from that of the immigrant worker to that of the aggressively upward mobile young professional.

How this will impact our city, I don't know it's only just beginning.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 am

We have read your manuscript with boundless delight. If we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for us to publish any work of lower standard. And as it is unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to overlook our short sight and timidity.

Can I get a rejection like this someday? :-P :D
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:25 pm

That has been my all-time favorite rejection ever since I came across it somewhere. I did get one of my own once from Mad Magazine that I thoroughly enjoyed. If I can put my hands on it again, I'll post it.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Oh please do..I would love to read even an interesting rejection letter. :D
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:53 pm

I haven't put my hands on it yet but here's an interesting (?) acknowledgement letter from the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest the year I entered it.

"We have received your execrable prose and will give it the treatment it deserves. Should our Undistinguished Panel of Judges select your entry you will be forewarned of your public exposure."

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:54 pm

well that's good...better than the usual fare. 8)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Don't you love it when writing wakes you up in the wee hours and won't let you rest until you have emptied your head of all it's nagging prose?

The following poem yapped at me until I wrote it down.

Oddly enough it was spurred on by a photo of a cat who had annihilated a ball of yarn as was living to regret it....

Ball of String

It all started with one loose thread poking out from the fabric of my day.
I pulled it. To my dismay, I pulled the very grass from its abode,
leaving nothing but a patch of soil, brown and bitter shivering in the cold.

I pulled up the trees and vegetation too; No green was left or ocean blue.
With another tug, I sucked the air from the sky
and one by one each building, street and passerby.

The string grew into a tangled heap around my head
Colored misfortune grey and tinged with regret red
Obsession now spurred me on
Yanking arduously until the last particle was gone
And I was left floating in the ink blackness of space.
Holding what used to be my life, unraveled and rewound in disgrace.

Who would guess what disaster one loose thread could bring
I’m left with nothing but this indefinable ball of string.
Last edited by Hissmonster on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 pm

I love the imagery in the poem.
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks Penn..just corrected 2 glarying type-o's....if I could ever remember how to post a pic again, I would show you the photo...

It was quite cute, which is odd, since this is the poem it produced.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

try again darlin...it says this link doesn't exist...grin...

oh I have a site for ya'll brb :D
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 pm

http://lolcatr.com/gallery/main/

This is the gallery of pics, there are tons of kitty funpics here..some are hysterical!
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:14 pm

To find out why your printer won't work (if you have a cat), go here:

http://tinyurl.com/55t24k

It's worth a look.
Last edited by Mlou on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Rofl...that's too funny!

The link I sent you isn't videos, but some funny photos...you will like em
:D
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:41 am

Well you would think a diagnosis as drastic as caner (no matter the type/stage) would inspire one to write...write all sorts of things: articles, essays, poems, angry tantrums, feeling sorry for yourself monologues, stories of hope, research papers-- the list is endless, right?

Well apparently not for me, been dealing with the unknown for a while now and the actually diagnosis for a couple of weeks and while I'm going through testing and preparing for surgery and what-not the only thing I've written with regards to breast cancer are notices to friends/family via the internet.

Am I numb?

Will I use writing as an outlet soon?

Am I just in a sort of denial?

Hell, I haven't even researched it yet. My focus when it's on it is to just get to the next test. Otherwise I avoid it, throwing myself into projects. Guess it's all part of the process.

Wondering though if I should start finishing things just in case. I mean I'm an "oddball" according to my "What does your birthday mean" results...who knows what could happen.

The thought of leaving things unfinished annoys me.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah, people seem to expect you to express it all on paper. After all you're a writer, right? Well, not exactly. When people started telling me I should write about it, I just said, "Betty what'sername already did that." (First You Cry) I like to write but I don't like to spill my guts. The world doesn't have to know EVERYTHING. lol But everyone is different. You may get to the point where it will be cathartic to put some thoughts on the record. ... Now about leaving things unfinished, I have a word of advice. I don't know about anything else but I say NEVER leave a hot fudge sundae unfinished! Everything else can wait.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Hmmm hot fudge! Now I need a sundae!!!!!! LOL :D
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:43 am

I know my eye issues are not even close to anything cancer related and what you're going through, but I have some thoughts.

When I first found out and then again after surgery my family kept asking me if I would write a story now with someone with eye problems. I thought about it briefly then said no. The only thing I could think of was that I wasn't sure how I felt about all of it just yet. Since things changed daily with how I felt and how I could see I was never sure what I really felt about the whole thing.

I'm the kind of person who gets nervous for a job interview AFTER the interview is over. I'm fine before hand and during, but it's after when I think about what I said and what I did that makes me nervous. With my eyes, I'm still waiting for it to be all over before I finally come to an emotional understanding of the whole thing. There are times when I freak out (like recently with a scratch that got infected on my right eye) and times when I'm at peace if I ever lost my sight.

It's a rollar coaster of a ride, and as much as I would have like to have some mood leveling drugs to take to help me get through some of the low times, I realized that those ups and downs are what make me human. Those times give me depth and life and existence. Those experiences will translate into my characters. So I might never write about a character with eye problems, but I will use my experience to write characters who have experienced life.

As per personal writing I do keep a journal. Sometimes I find what I want to say is just too powerful to put into words right now or too powerful that if I read it later on it would bring me back down to a place I wouldn't want to be. I write to remember the experience, not clense my soul. But that approach might just be my own.

I wish you well and renewed health! You are in my prayers!
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm

I've come to the end of active treatment and am now writing a very personal piece about misunderstandings, miscommunications and the power we give away to others. The power to let others hurt us.

For me, it's always those closest to me that I invest this power in.

Friends and acquaintances don't get such power, but family. Family kills me everytime. Found my soul grated like parmasean on Monday, when I was apologizing for going through my last day alone and having the nerve to work!

I didn't know that I was supposed to ask permission of others to have cancer and survive it with out looking sick. Who would have thought :roll:
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Changed up "Out of Ashes" a bit.

Was working on the murder scene (ghost's murder) and decided that I wasn't going to make her altruistic..

She was a prostitute for a reason. She liked the control. She was addicted to the power. So when she takes possession of the protagonist, she is going to get that addiction back and not want to give up control...

also one wierd thing...

I am writing 3 different novels. Each has a love/sex scene that ends in murder? Hmmmm....does this mean I need therapy>>> :twisted: 8) :-P :D
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Today is a day when I should have pulled the covers over my head & stayed in bed!!!!

Oh well, life is bound to get better, just need to shake off some bitter disappointment. Maybe I'm being over sensative, it will make for a good story someday.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”