Hiss's Writer's Blog/log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 04, 2008 11:33 pm

Been working on "Wishes" this week.

Decided that I really didn't like the first person, so I am revamping it to be in the 3rd...it's flowing better.

BTW...if I haven't told you ...My Avatars and quote are attributed to this novel, the avatars are all of Hecate, the Goddess of a thousand names....
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue May 06, 2008 12:52 pm

I love mythology but I can't remember Hecate (it's been awhile since my college days). What's the origin on her?
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue May 06, 2008 2:32 pm

She is greek, the cousin to Artemis. She is the sister of Leto who gave birth to Apollo and Artemis with Zeus.

She has become known as a goddess of sorcery and her role as the "Queen of Ghosts", in which triplicate guise she was transmitted to post-Renaissance culture. Today she is often seen as a goddess of witchcraft and Wicca.

She is known as the Goddess of the crossroads and is associated with black, night, dogs, horses, lions, dragons and snakes.

The famous superstition for unblocking your path was to offer a Hecate's Supper, which is held at a 3 way cross road in the dead of night at the end of the month and would include such offerings as fish, honey, garlic and cakes w/ candles. Lavendar and mullein are also associated w/ this diety and in Turkey the referr to her as the dark moon spirit & queen of the witches; she is the matron of Istanbul and her most famous preistess was Media (think jason and the argonauts). Many herbs and trees are associated w/ her as well and in some cultures she is said to ride a chariot drawn by dragons. She only tolerates torchlight and has been petitioned in childbirth for a smooth labor and delivery.

While she originates in ancient Greece, you can find her in other cultures as well by different names. This is how she earned the title Goddess of 1,000 names.

Since she has three faces representing the overworld, earth and the underworld, she has 3 distinctive personalities and can be somewhat of a trickster so it is a wise and cunning petitioner who dares to call on her.

These are some of her other names:

Chthonian (Earth/Underworld goddess)
Crataeis (the Mighty One)
Enodia (Goddess of the paths)
Antania (Enemy of mankind)
Kurotrophos (Nurse of the Children and Protectress of mankind)
Artemis of the crossroads
Propylaia (the one before the gate)
Propolos (the attendant who leads)
Phosphoros (the light-bringer)
Soteira ("Saviour")
Prytania (invincible Queen of the Dead)
Trioditis (gr.) Trivia (Latin: Goddess of Three Roads)
Klêidouchos (Keeper of the Keys)
Tricephalus or Triceps (The Three-Headed)

Want more???? I could go on and on...she is pivitol in WISHES :twisted:

The greeks had 2 festivals dedicated to her August 13th and November 30th while Romans didn't discriminate by month..they celebrated her ever 29th day of the month.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue May 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Part of that sounded familiar so maybe I haven't forgotten everything from college. For a second there I thought you were going to list all 1,000 names.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 pm

rofl...you know I never counted all the names to see if there is actually a thousand or if that was just a saying, but there are a lot....and I can't remember anything from college. Wait. Did I go to college? Yeah. Yeah, think I did.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:30 am

The Waverly Inn in Nova Scotia was most helpful with my research on the Inn and it's resident ghost. Though to me, I would think most of NS would have a haunting or two; folks still wandering about the docks not knowing they died in the Halifax explosion....from what I've research many who died didn't know it was coming...just another ordinary day..and "oh look a ships on fire..then..Blam...where am I?"

It fascinating..ghoulish, but fascinating and I've built a story around the explosion, hauntings, the Inn and being the ghost of our former selves....

Working on increasing the tension without ruining the believability...I think you all know by now that I can't stand when suspension of disbelief is disregarded or worse yet Butchered; that and betraying your characters...so, I'm agonizing over these aspects...

atleast I'm writing...

Also looking into freelance an article or two on my trip to Costa Rica, see if I can make $$ out of it..many possibilities, Eco-tour, Culture, economy & culture, straight travel piece, traveling with a senior citizen (w/ person w/ disabilities) and of course...Coffee, and food...as the native fare is considered bland by all my research...there maybe a spin on it to explore....
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 am

...and keep writing, that's an order!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 pm

yep...got another story line..possible short story..working on that now
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Sounds like you're really into it these days, Hiss! (Any chance of your ever getting as far as Vermont this summer???)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:20 pm

was waiting for you to get settled in....I love vermont...and so long as I can bring my Camera...a road trip sounds great!! 8)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:39 pm

ok...FOR WOMEN ONLY.

Please keep your answers discreet as this is a PG-13 site....

That said...as I told you all already I'm working on another storyline based on reactions from acquaintences/co-workers when I tell them about my Costa Rica trip.

Well the more I flesh out the characters and plot lines the more it sounds like a superfunny spoof on Harlequin Romances.

Since I have never read one ...lie I did once as a teen and was bored[I get bored w/ anything that I know the ending to in the 1st chapter], so I read one.
and this leads me to my two women only questions:

1. When did Costa Rica & a Rainforest trek become THE place to go for torrid sex and girlfriend get-a-ways? Was there a PBS special I missed somewhere?

2. (careful w/ your answers here) And based on the story I read, I have to ask women this question....does any woman here or any woman you know consider the male "anatomy" beautiful? Here I am reading this "Playboy for women" and she discribes revealing the male lead's anatomy like she was opening a beautiful present which contains the mother of all engagement rings...she actually gushes "Oh Jake!" and goes on at how beautiful it is....

Now maybe I'm jaded, but if this is true then I live in jadedville in the center of the state of cynicism. Because I have Never met one women to describe this particular part of the anatomy in asthetically pleasing platitudes.

They discuss, size, functionality, and what they will do to it if ever the man was caught cheating, but never as it was a work of art available only to her.

Yet, after discussing this w/ several romance readers they have told me that this is a growing trend and some even went as far as to say, they are trying to appeal to the small(but growing) male audience who are now reading these novels...But is it fair even in a ubber fantasy novel to have a woman say something that 99.9% of all women (see I gave a margin for error) wouldn't even think of?

So ladies Beautiful??? or it doesn't matter so long as it works? :roll:
Sorry guys,

but it's true, while size doesn't mean everything to a woman, they also aren't looking to bronze you for your incomparable beauty....
gnomenapper
Wordtripper

Postby gnomenapper » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:13 pm

1. I had no clue either! I thought that was the Dominican ;)

2. Err. Beautiful? Well... I think those sorts of descriptions perhaps make things more.. exciting maybe? I never considered romance novels very practical or true to life to begin with....
"That" addict.
If you like quirky odd-ball humour: http://lesterandeunice.livejournal.com/
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:32 pm

lol....I'm going there for 2 things...Photos and coffee....as for everyone else...sigh I guess if you go looking for it you will find it.

Romance novels are pure fantasy, but there are certian lines even in fantasies that when you run across them it sort of bursts the bubble...and I don't think the author wanted me to laugh out loud at that particular moment, but that is indeed what I did....to me that was the most rediculous line she could have written. Even if what came next was pure genious..that line just ruined everything....sort of like on your honeymoon night when your hubby is trying to set the mood and instead says something silly and you get the giggles....that's it it's over, he might as well laugh right alone with you....
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:30 am

Okay, we'll be looking for you Hiss. You have our new phone #?? If not, let me know & I'll give you a ring.
As for the burbly hyperbole re. gentlemen's equipment...ridiculous! THEY are much more apt to give the items in question pet names than any woman who ever lived. Women appreciate beauty wherever they find it but, imop, this is the wrong place to look for it.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:23 pm

LOL...w/ me it's always best to think I don't have the #..... 8) pop me off a pm or an email w/ it...you should have both my cell and home phone, if you don't I will give them to you too.

and as for the nicknames....so true, so true :lol:
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:12 pm

In answer to your questions:

1. I'm not sure, but it makes me think of "Romancing the Stone" which was a lovely comedic romance.

2. The only attractive male anatomy I have ever seen belonged to my first husband ... rather like a text book illustration only jaunty. Everyone else's reminds me more of turkey necks.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Turkey necks!!!! How positively apt. :D

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Just Published!!!!!!

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:37 pm

First of 4 articles on White water rafting has just been published on Associated Content.

www.associatedcontent.com/article/10140 ... first.html

This is a pay per view site, so the more who take a peek, the better! (grin)

Read about our outfitter, our trip and take a look at the photos: I think there's a dorky one of me in there 8)

Comments are always appreciated and if you would like updates on pieces I publish here, become one of my subscribers and you will be updated everytime a new Article is posted.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Hmmm...I have to say it wasn't your best photo. *grin* However you did look quite "abundant" in it.
Yes, everyone. Go read it! Support your local writer! :D

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I had been meaning to sign up for associated content. thanks for reminding me, hiss. haha

I liked he piece (read it last night) and as always, LOVE your photos.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 pm

ROFL...

I look like a cross between the michelin tire man and a computer nerd!

I have never had so much stuff on....in fact by the time that photo was shot I had taken off the wetsuit jacket (too hot).

The good news w/ rafting is that NO ONE looks good in the outfit...grin.

And XC, I will send you an invite to join up, that way you can link into my network when you do (and I won't have to ferret you out later).

It takes two seconds....

Anyone else want to sign up? Send me your email....

And feel free to comment on photos/ stories....I have 4 total now, though I have signed up for several of the Halloween Calls....I just couldn't resist 8)

Ugh...gotta get back to work!

Thanks for reading....
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm already signed up, Hiss. Don't know how that changes things. This actually gives me a platform to publish some of the things I've wanted to do, like my memories of Shea piece.
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:15 pm

That's ok...I can add you if you can email me (or post it here) the URL to your content page, then I can add you to my fav's and add your email to my subscribers...that way you will know when I have something new published.

But, for those of you thinking of signing up, but haven't, send me your email and I will send you an invite 8)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:38 pm

lol..just sent you a pm for this...thanks I'll add ya

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”