Hiss's Writer's Blog/log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:56 pm

Okay!
My perigrinations today (exhausting day) took me out that way on Rt. 93 and back. It's a loooong way for you to come. I hope you've looked at the map!
Was in a Caddy Escalade (I think was the name). What a car! Trouble is you should have seen me trying to climb UP into it with my short legs! lol
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:59 am

ok just an interesting note for you all...

Do any of you suffer from sleepwalking....

No I'm am not asking if you yourself sleep walk. Something much more incidious..do you suffer from having a significant other or loved one who sleepwalks??

You know, your tucked away warm and cozy in your bed, when you are awoken at an ungodly hour by a large thud, or crashing noise, or maybe someone singing loud and off key?

Well this is my life.

Dragon Lady at times of high stress is proned to doing just that and last night was no different. She is awaiting a decision on her car accident. If it goes well,no court and she will have a settlement--if not, well COURT!
This has her stressed to the utmost and last night, I was pulled from my dreams at 3am, but a large thud and rustling noise from the spare room next door.

KC sprang to all fours in a defensive posture and was trying to pry my door open w/ his paw. Shaking off the remanents of a good dream I get the light on and fumble my way to the door.

"OUCH! God damn it KC, GET OFF MY FEET!!"

The dog and I do a little dance as we jockey for positon at the door. He won of course. If there was an intruder, I certanly was going to let the hunting dog discover him first. In three paces I had crosse the space between rooms and flicked on the light. KC immediately stopped his growling and began sniffing and whining is inquisitive "RRR".

As my eyes came into focus, I saw what had him so confused. In the middle of a very large cardboard box that formerly housed about 20 poinsetta plants, was my sister. She was nearly engulfed, with just her arms and feet overflowing the top and these appendages were making this weird waving motion, scraping the sides as they went.

"Dee, why are you in the spare room?"

silence...scrape, scrape

"Dee! What are you sitting in the Christmas decorations?"

Scrape, Scrape.

"God Damn it, KC if she is asleep, I"m going to kill her." As if on cue, KC went over and sniffed at a wayward foot. He was rewarded with a smack as it continued its waving motion. Shaking his head, he sneezed and licked the sole of her foot. Still she didn't respond. By that time I had joined KC at the edge of the box, leaning over I looked into her wide-open eyes. She appeared wide awake and happy. Steam came from my ears and my groggy mind confirmed that she was indeed asleep.

"DEE! YOU HAVE MANGLED THE POINSETTAS! GET THE HELL OUT OF THE BOX!"

Maybe it was my tone of voice or the fact that I was inches from her ear when I shouted this phrase, but she roused and look straight at me with a hapless grin.

Raising a finger to her mouth she admonished me.

"Ssh, I'm canoeing. Now get out of the water before you drown."

Sigh...."It's going to be a long night."

It took me half an hour to extricate her from her "canoe." KC long since bored with the whole ordeal had abandoned me for mom on the first floor and was happily snoozing.

I on the other hand couldn't get back to sleep. Anger needed to be quelled first.

This morning she awoke bright-eyed and refreshed. I on the other hand was quite groggy and very cranky.

"What's wrong with you?"
"How was your damn Canoe ride? Oh and you owe mom 20 new poinsettas."

Recounting this whole story to mom, she laughed and said, I should have taken a picture. I could have tortured her for life with it.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:10 am

:yimlol::yimlol::yimlol::yimlol::yimlol::yimlol:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:11 am

want a sister..sell her to ya real cheap 8)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:14 am

*in best french taunter accent* "Thank you, but we've already got one"

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:14 am

Damn... I am really glad I don't sleep walk! I do mumble in my sleep at times... but no walking has ever occured. No wait... oh hell, that's right... one time... but only once.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:14 am

yeah but this one has late night entertainment options..
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:15 am

well.. as I recall my sister did a bit of sleep walking when we were REAL young (like 4 and 6 years old)... or was that me :-k ... wish I could remember.

CharlesP

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:18 am

evil laugh..I will have to remember to ask April next time she's on...smile..
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:20 am

Damn... I am really glad I don't sleep walk! I do mumble in my sleep at times... but no walking has ever occured. No wait... oh hell, that's right... one time... but only once.

Just caught this one... :lol:

I'm locking you sleepwalkers all up together then you can go canoeing and debate the presidential races, or give a rock concert (yes she did that and woke the house) all on your own so the rest of us can sleep
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:29 am

Hissmonster wrote:evil laugh..I will have to remember to ask April next time she's on...smile..

yeah... she might remember... it was before she was 8 I'm pretty sure as I think it happened while we lived in FL... and I'm PRETTY sure it was her... I didn't walk/yell/etc when I slept... I just sprained an ankle once when I kicked the wall in my sleep... I was/am a bit of a restless sleeper, but think I stay in bed.

CharlesP

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:30 am

or on an ant infested couch :wink:
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:31 am

Hissmonster wrote:or on an ant infested couch :wink:

yeah... there too :oops:

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:32 am

so how is your "bug problem"

Laughter..sorry had to borrow from Creepshow
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:39 am

Hissmonster wrote:so how is your "bug problem"

Laughter..sorry had to borrow from Creepshow

no problem anymore... though the baby was highly interested in the crickets we bought to feed our lizard... finally had to take the kid into another room to get him to stop "ooh"ing at the crickets (and he wasn't pleased with being removed either).

CharlesP

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:40 am

repeat after me..

"Umm..I have this bug problem!"

LOL
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:23 am

i used to sleepwalk when i was a teenager...but luckily i grew out of it!
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:38 am

If the offer is still open for a sister, I'LL TAKE HER!
As the only surviving member of my clan, I want a sister!!
Bring her soon. And my anxiously awaited critique too. I'm afraid I'm going to lose interest in trying to salvage it...already forgetting the characters. Ah, I've concluded it's a bunch of junk anyway! Will just have to move on to something else.
And how is Wishes doing? Or isn't it? Boy it's tough to keep things moving.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 am

I don't sleepwalk. I stayed up several nights to see, and nope, no sleepwalking or snoring!
Erin Lemley
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Erin Lemley » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:43 pm

Hey there!

My sister used to sleepwalk. She was about 3 when we figured it out. She would walk out to the living room and lay down behind the couch or sit and watch TV like it was no big deal.

Sometimes she would come out of her room bawling and my parents would try to get her to tell them what's going on and she wouldn't answer. That's when they figured it out I guess.

It sure explained why we were going through hot dogs and bologne like crazy. They caught her raiding the refrigerator one night! Totally asleep.

She grew out of it. Thank goodness she didn't get into anything dangerous!
Fasten your seatbelts. It makes it harder for the aliens to zap you from your car!
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:42 pm

I did the sleepwalking thing until I had my tonsils out in 5th grade. After that, nothing.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:33 am

Well, I have been woefully neglectful of this blog, so I thought I would catch you all up on my writing world.

I haven't been as active as I should, letting personal emergencies and obligations interfere with my writing schedule lately, which is a shame because I realize how much I miss it.

But, this doesn't mean that I have been totally absent from the keyboard. As you know I have an entry into the current contest here. I have an entry for the WD Short Story Contest, as well.

My poem the Abyss, has passed the first rung of an erotic poetry contest and I promised to dedicate that one to our own Ms. Star for placing the thought in my head in the first place...evil grin.

Today, I attended the Somerville News Writers Festival, which showcases writing talents from the area--mainly focusing on those from Somerville, MA or with roots there.

It was an interesting cast of characters that lined the Burren's hall for a pre-presentation cocktail hour. One of the most intriguing souls wasn't a writer at all, but a regular of the pub, who just wanted to meet writers.

Amongst the authors I met tonight were Tom Perrotta (The Election, which became the movie with Mathew Brodrick and Reese Whitherspoon)
Andre Dubus III (House of Sand and Fog, who in person could be the Doppleganger to our own Mudge) and Laura Zigman whose Animal Husbandry earned fame as the movie "Someone Like You" where Ashley Judd expounds about women being equivalent to an old cow when it comes to love.

Though by far the highlight of the night for me was Steve Almond. I don't think he has written anything you would have read..in other words I don't think his two published works have made the best seller lists, but he read us excerpts from each. The first, My Life In Heavy Metal, was a rich erotic political humor piece that made everyone laugh at it's absurdity. The second, Candyfreak, while equally sensual, was poignant and alive with vivid descriptions and a thought provoking emotional ending.

Both of these recitations made me want to buy the books, but more over they made me want to write...

All in all a very good night.
kexxy
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby kexxy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:52 pm

Dont "should" on yourself,
Dont "Should" on others,
And NEVER let anyone,
Should on you!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:09 pm

laughter, thank you very much my dear you are too kind...Sting owns a home in Tuscany so I'm not surprised to see a story about him skiing in Italy...
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu May 26, 2005 4:45 pm

It's been awhile since I've made an entry and if you are all wondering why I'm here so early today...well I was up at the crack of dawn taking mom for a stress test. She's sleeping now, the first real sleep she's had in days and I have a story:

The Stress Test

I sit here in the glass-encased waiting room of the Massachusetts General Hospital’s newfangled “Stress Lab.” It is decorated in soft sand tones and vast open stretches of windows, allowing as much natural light in to brighten even this dismal morning. The last effects of this May’s second nor’easter have cast a gray hue across the city, but the rain has crispened the redbrick of the buildings making me long for my camera to freeze the moment, allowing you to see the world as I do.

How oddly beautiful this strange contrast of gray and wet crispness makes my city. Even the golden dome of the state house takes on a shining glow, set off by clouds descending from above and a white plume of steam dancing across the tops of the brick buildings in the foreground to greet it with a kiss.

I want to dance across those rooftops too. As if they were my own stage setting from a classic 40’s musical--an urban Fiddler on the Roof or Chimney sweep scene from Mary Poppins. Mom has been ensconced behind the protective doors to my left for about 90 minutes. That’s about half way through the process and I wait; the dutiful daughter, quietly observing the host of faces passing in and out.

Sure I could have dashed off to the coffee shop five floors below as soon as she disappeared beyond the doors, not to emerge for 3 hours. But, unlike most of the ‘supportive’ family, I just couldn’t. They have come here as ’rides’ or pre/post-testing support for the test subjects, who all appear calm and at ease. I mean its just a stress test right. We have seen them on TV, the patient walking a treadmill with electrodes strapped to key places; how simple. What you don’t see is more important and it’s what my mom remembers. You don’t see the informed consent sheet with the myriad of complications and ailments that “may be brought on by the implementation of this testing.” These are enough to scare anyone--seizures, heart attacks, strokes--lets just complete the big 10 of sudden, deadly ailments why don’t we. You don’t see the liquid IV that is sometime administered to help assess your condition, which feels like raw fire being pumped into your veins. But, most of all you don’t see the fear and panic built up in the eyes of one who has a history of heart problems, stroke and diabetes and remembers all to well how horrible the previous stress testing had been. You don’t see that her dread is so vivid that it has kept her awake for the past 4 nights heightening her stress levels.

No, by the time I got her there, she was not the strong, fiercely independent woman I have know for most of my life. What I saw pass through those doors was a frightened child; frail and fragile, holding onto the fact that I would be only fifteen feet away during the course of this treatment. I could no sooner leave than I could cut her heart out.

So I sit here with my super-sized French vanilla coffee and granola bar that tastes like bark, ignoring the snickers and judgments of those uninformed visitors who think I should be comfortably propped up in a coffee shop booth. They don’t know what I do. I endure the screaming two-year-old and her brother who for 15 minutes believe that the chairs behind me are their own jungle gym. Their mother oblivious to any trick to quell their restlessness, but their grandmother was only there for an electrocardiogram and they soon disperse. Ignoring the stares and the ‘come-hither’ smiles of bored husbands waiting on their wives, who have conveniently forgotten that I just watched the obligatory peck on the cheek and ‘luv you’s exchanged moments before.

It is quiet here, no cell phones allowed, no TV. Smart support members (mostly older women) that are tethered here, like me, have brought books or stacks of magazines to while away the time and compensate for the meek selection of reading material tucked into a single rack at the labs entrance. These souls, all waiting, hold some curiosity for me and I catch myself staring now and again at certain features or movements, ingraining the details into the circuitry of my brain to be used later. Many different people get melded into one as a character is born in my head.

I sit here waiting and watching. Wondering how my mother suddenly became so frail. Had it really been eight years ago that this regal battleship had a massive fracture breech her hull, ending her career as the dark champion of her workforce underdogs? What was worse is how the hull, once breeched, begins to crumble. The fracture stretching and expanding across the façade of her being. The little limp and shortness of breath that were warning signs have morphed into pronounced handicaps that nearly kept her from her dreams and have scared us all. It was the stroke, a mere warning shot across her bow, that propelled us into action some 2 years ago. Dee and I forced her into retirement and dragged her on an excursion to the British Isles. It was not the pleasure seeking trip that most believed but an attempt by us to insure that mom didn’t lose her dream. That trip was meant to be with her father a special father-daughter journey to Ireland--to Galway, but cancer stole him away from her. Now alone in the waters and crippled, we took this once stalwartly lady on her journey, hoping it won’t be her last , despite being decommissioned she will go on like Ironsides as an example of survival, of bravery.

Yet we see the age in her now, we see the pain. How many more dreams will die unrealized in her as age and ailment conspire against her? Lost in my thoughts, I don’t realize the passing of time until her head, snow white, emerges from behind the door. She is tired and careworn, but doesn’t look so bad. I sit tight, holding my breath, waiting for signs of distress, but none come.

“It’s all over. We can go now.”

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, yes. I did better. There was no burning pain this time and no IV, but the pressure was almost unbearable…but, I did the whole four minutes.” Her eyes brighten then and I can see the pride. She had come through it, survived and it wasn’t that bad. I mentally exhale. My mom was back, a little cracked and a little less buoyant, but still sea-worthy.

“Let’s go get you something to eat.”

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”