The Elves Made Me Write It (a blog)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

The Elves Made Me Write It (a blog)

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:47 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to start this out, but looking around, I see people wrote writing materials. I guess it's a good a start as any. I have this insistant fear, though, someone's going to say 'You don't belong on this forum, what are you doing here?' :shock:

Writing Materials:
1. Quiet room- specifically, I always write best in my own room. No idea why, but when I sit down at the living room computer, my ideas just run away. I could be full of them before I sit down, but then my head is empty when I do.

2. Lap top- because I don't have a computer in my room, I use a lap top... It doesn't work real well because of radio-waves from KDKA radio tower. The mouse freezes up and it does things that anger me, but we're like best buddies, me and my lap top, I don't stay mad at it for long.

3. Ambience music-Too much silence is never enough. If you can't beat it, blast loud Metallica and Franz Ferdinand.

4. Pen and Paper - for those 'on the road' inspirations that are never quite as good as you originally thought they were when you wrote them down.

5. Serata - the voice in the back of my head, who is the sole genious behind anything I write.

So now that I've freaked everyone out with my obsessive compulsive wierdness, I log off for the day to go sleep.
I hope I'm a punk-rocking zombie when I die-

Or at least a headbanging one.

I have a Tumblr now! Thomas Caldwell Novels

or leave a message on my blogspot: Thomas Caldwell Novels
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:56 pm

I had a bit of a writing freak-out... I sat down at the lap-top, and suddenly there were no ideas. I saw myself sitting at the computer for hours and staring blankly into the screen, no ideas. I got up and walked around hoping whatever it was would pass... NaNoWriMo so close, and for the first time in a while I can't even force something onto the page.
I guess I may be being rediculous, but it felt at the time like I had my whole life looking me in the eyes and saying my days of writing were numbered... It's hard to explain.
I've had moments where all I can write is complete crap, or jibberish, but this was different. Absolutely nothing would come out.
It's like my characters have gone rotten and dead, with no way to save them. I don't feel the compassion I once did for the plot or the characters...

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:54 pm

Oh karma, I know what you're going through. I've had moments when I sit at the computer and look at the keyboard. I know those black stratches are letters and I know those letters make up words but I'd be damned if I knew how to put them together that way. I had another bad experience where I was so desparate to write something good (not just anything but something good) that I held a pen in my hand and I couldn't figure out what to do with it to make it work. I just walk away from those moments and do everything I can not to think about them. Sooner or later you brain says "I must tell a story." After denying the urge to write for so long your muse will overpower you and you'll pull a lot of good stuff out of that head of yours. Probably not the best solution for consistancy sake but it's helped me beat the worst writers block I've had so far.
Is this my reality or yours?
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:32 pm

I'm off to a horrible start on my nano, but at least I have something down, which is good. It's ok though because I have some time during exams to work (I don't study often, so no homework is a definate plus) and then I'll pull some all nighters over thanksgiving break and it'll be fun and awesome. Yeah.

So my story is a bit of a cliche; psychic crime fighting. I like it though, and as far as I know, it's a pretty original situation. My NaNo name is musthavebeenmykarma as well. So I started out alright, full of satire on the morass that is the media, but then it kind of took a turn for the James Bond sort of story that's just entertainment, which kind of made me mad though. I also have all these ideas for plot that are very evident early on, like a psychic terrorist group and corrupt police and so on, but they all dissapeared. I have plans to bring them back, but I hope it's not a wierd transition.

Up to 12781 words though.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:13 pm

Good for you, Karma!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:39 am

I'm usually more cheery, I swear.

Anyway I unfortunately have to write up yet another depressed entry. I don't want anyone to feel bad for me or anything, I'd appreciate any insight, but I don't expect anything. A kid my age, a teenager, still in highschool, hung himself. I knew him pretty well, I even knew that he was going through tough times. I feel like I should be sad, that I should at least cry or something, but all I can feel is this choked up feeling. I feel like such an anti-social apathetic... something. i don't see how it can be right to just not feel bad enough to cry, almost like not human or something. I don't get why some stuff happens to others worse than it happens to me, if that makes any sense. I would be willing to take my share of the pain, but it never comes. All that's there is the illusions that I put on myself sometimes. Sometimes, when I'm really sad about something, I just say to my self it's not real sadness, and it goes away. It frightens me, and this is the same thing. I'm off on a rant now...

I guess I'm putting this here somewhat because I know there's a few religious experts out there on the forums. I could go on for a few pages about how I don't have the ability to believe in God, I wish I did, but I can't find the strength. I used to, I don't know what happened. but I feel I need to look at this from a religious stand point. I seem to recall a passage in the bible about suicide and hell, so does that mean my friend will go to hell? Is he automatically bound to that destination no matter how good his life might have been? He was no saint, but niether is a single one of us. He was a human being, and a child. I can't think of a God cruel enough to send a child who suffers, a person I knew, to hell...

I don't know, ignore this message. Or read it. I'm torn. I don't expect an answer, I know that I may never get one that I find satisfactory unless I find it myself. Don't worry about me, though, I'll be fine. Time heals everything.

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:13 pm

It's time for a happy post! :D Yay :D

I'm exactly 25369 words into my novel and in range of finishing on the thirtieth if I work over thanksgiving break which I will, provided nothing goes wrong. It's all starting to come together, which makes me excited. There's still a few loose threads, from just me being really careless about plot, but I can tie them up in the end some how.

So I want to explain my plot since I'm in a typing mood. The whole thing is a scifi story about the controling media, and a psychic police force. Anne Gustavsson is a psychic police officer who is descending into madness because of having to share people's pains and having her beliefs in the innocence of the human soul torn to pieces. She eventually loses her temper and shoots at someone, and has a whole lawsuit situation.
With the media against her, she has to keep her identity as a psychic silent, because it would sway the jury in favor of the prosecution. Then she finds out that her boss, who she loves as a father figure, has put himself in the way of the bullet, so to speak, claiming responsibility for her actions, so she has to win the case to save his job also.
Also there's a stalker person who claims to have control over the case, and Anne has to go through a bunch of clues to find out the identity of the person.
The latest thing that happened was a bit of a side story where a group of anti-psychics kidnap Anne and take out the piece of machinery that turns her into a psychic.

After this, I have no idea what's going to happen, which is why there's so many plot holes that I didn't mention here. I assume they'll turn into something eventually, this plot seems to have a way of fixing itself so far.

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:32 pm

I finished my NaNo with room for a sequel... makes me happy :) My plot finally came together in the end exactly the way I wanted it too, and I'll post it on RYW for critique

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:39 pm

musthavebeenmykarma wrote:I finished my NaNo with room for a sequel... makes me happy :) My plot finally came together in the end exactly the way I wanted it too, and I'll post it on RYW for critique

:clap: Yeah for winning NaNoWriMo!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:33 am

Congrats..bet you are happy with yourself just to know this was a major accomplishment..Hats off, my dear.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:46 am

So I'm wandering around, trying to fill the gap that NaNoWriMo left in my life. *sigh*. I discovered http://www.rateyourwriting.com and have been uploading sections of my NaNo there. It's a really great community and if anyone hasn't checked it out yet, I would definately recommend it.

Otherwise, my novel has been sitting in the corner staring at me visciously, or maybe temptingly. Either way, I must keep it in the corner until march; that's my plan and I'm sticking to it. I haven't written anything much since, but I have several ideas floating around in my head, in addition to a sequel to my NaNo.

I wonder if I should wait until november next year to start a sequel? Will all the ideas be gone, or will there be more? I don't know, since I've never had to write a sequel to a NaNo before. Hmm... the decisions.

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:06 pm

Been finding it very difficult to write lately, but I'm sure I'll get over it. Ever since November everything's been really crazy, and though I'd love to find the time to sit down and write something, it always seems to elude my grasp. Oh well...

Also I applied to Governer's school for creative writing. My hopes are high, but if I don't get in, well, whatever. Mostly I want to go to just get away from home and obligations for a few months and be able to write again, I don't really care about the honor or being able to put it on my collage application.

But I drempt up a whole series of short stories involving computers. I want to put them all together and call it Dreaming in Binary, but I'm still short several stories. I've got two out in the large writing group, if anyone who reads this feels like criting something.

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:45 am

*Stretches out and yawns* Good to be home. I haven't been able to get the thoughts together enough to get on the computer recently, let alone type something up on wordtrip. Nothing has happened writing wise, unforutnately. I do, however, intend to do all my homework for the year asap, that way I can focus in on what I actually want to do like reading and writing. I just love to read and write, and it's very depressing to look at a schedule that says "You have no time. Ha." Yes, my schedule. It mocks me. When I'm not looking. How do I know it does? Because I bugged it! Ah ha! Now who's the greater species! You won't get one over on me... what? Fencing practice? DARN YOU! You won this one, but next time you won't be so lucky!

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:05 am

Two hundredth post! Hooray!

Exams suck.

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Thu May 05, 2005 7:56 am

250 posts...

Havn't written in here for a while, and consequently am much behind on all the good stories by... me :D ! I am one of those lucky people in charge of the school literary magazine now, it's great fun. So I wrote a strange short story about religion for it, and no one has read it yet. It figures, we're fairly behind (we need to get it published next week).

The other story is just a beginning so far. A land where people have been reliant on computers so long that they are trapped in virtual reality (it being better than reality) and people come to rescue them. Only the people that rescue them are the exact representation of all the evil those in the computer worlds were trying to escape.

Ok, so it sounds like the matrix. Don't sue me, please?

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Wow, I forgot I had this thing. The last time I wrote in here was May 5th 2005. I can't believe I've even belonged to this site so long. Seems like yesterday I was desperately looking for a writing group and stumbled upon this little gem :-D

Anyway, I've got the publication blues to harp about this summer (or perhaps successes?) if I can actually get it together to edit this darn novel and figure out how to add in the McGuffin. I've got a story I like about a boy and his imaginary/not-so-imaginary friend, though the problem I've been seeing from both my wordtrip writing group and my other one is that there's no hook. The plot and the intent are all there, but no reason to interest anyone other than myself. I need the brilliant dead dog of Curious Incident to fall into my lap, but alas, it is still out there somewhere.

I've also been distracting myself with a fantasy parody that I wrote for NaNo this year because, hey, it's just more fun. :P And I've been juggling all that with a job and a garden, which, at the beginning of the summer, seemed so doable. My goal of publish by the end of summer might have to be pushed back to "get the friggin' novel ready by the end of the summer."

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:17 am

Well, don't give up, karma. Keep it going!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks Mlou

musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Going to sit down and write today goshdarnit!

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”