Anblick's Quest for Immortality

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:51 pm

DimMak wrote:uurrghh, We have two Laurie Berkner CDs...the kids love her songs.

oh how I FEEL your pain... I got my 7 year old the They Might Be Giants kids CD for his next birthday... figuring it's at least a band I LIKE so even if they're doing kidish songs I won't be HATING myself for listening to them.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
DimMak
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby DimMak » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:27 pm

My son likes Linkin Park, so I--sometimes--get a break from kids’ songs. (Both my kids like Green Days song "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" too.)

I'm not looking forward to the days of music differences...I wonder what they will like? Probably country...just to spite me.

(Anything but country :cry: )
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:24 am

Oh I feel the pain... I feel it all too well... I've been fighting the songs in my head for WEEKS now that the baby has discovered The Wiggles... and those videos they play on nick or disney between shows... Laurie Berkner I think it is... "Vinnie Vedo and Freddie Vasco, eat spaghetti, with tabasco" ARghhhh they're in my head and they won't get OUT!!!.

"Fruit salad... yummy, yummy..." :D

I just remember from English class that one poet used to write everything in lowercase letters (e e cumming, I think), and claimed facetiously that he never really wrote any of it, it was written by bugs jumping from key to key on his typewriter. Since they couldn't be on two keys at once (shift and the letter), they could only type in lowercase.

I always wondered why he never capitalized his name... now I know.

He's insane.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:07 pm

OK, why is it that the writing prompts that inspire me the most are the ones I post for others here, but I never take on my own challenges? :shock:
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:11 pm

LOL
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:12 pm

I guess I should post here since I have done a fair amount of writing this month compared to the past 8 or so... Mostly in prompts, and I expect I'll have 2 more prompts written towards in the next two days...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:38 pm

I note your location blurb. Mentally...how about the State of Confusion? I visit there frequently. Very scenic in a Dali-esque way. :wink:
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:47 pm

Mlou wrote:I note your location blurb. Mentally...how about the State of Confusion? I visit there frequently. Very scenic in a Dali-esque way. :wink:

Didn't want to limit it to one of the 52 States! :rofl:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu May 05, 2005 8:18 am

Here's a SS I wrote for a challenge in my writing group:

Cat’s Eye View

Fluffy stared at the lazy human on the couch. It seemed all they ever did was eat and sleep. That is when they didn’t slip outside for their mysterious absences. What worthless creatures the tabby cat thought, then refocused her attention on the dog. The human was way too infatuated with the dog, but when it came to true loyalty, Fluffy knew she was the most loyal of the two.

Sure, the dog might warn of some dangers like that creepy guy that peeks in the window occasionally. Then again, he barks at that kid across the street when it checks the mail. No useful feedback what-so-ever. If the humans knew what was best for them, they’d be quite wary of any supposed help from dogs.

She knew just how important and draining a cat’s job truly was. At any moment she might be called upon to save the house and possibly the world from total annihilation, though the human and the dog seemed to care less.

As she stared at the lazy human lying on the couch reading a book (with the television on, no less), the doorbell rang. Fluffy tensed in anticipation. Often, her tiresome duties began with something as innocuous as a doorbell or a loud noise. She sat upright and watched as the lazy human slowly meandered towards the door.

She opened the door, and just as Fluffy feared, it was an unfamiliar human. They often unsuspectingly brought disasters trailing behind them, especially those that didn’t have a cat of their own for protection.

Don’t let him in, thought Fluffy, but to no avail. The foolish human lady gladly welcomed the strange man inside. He spotted Fluffy, and after a reluctant, awkward moment, knelt and tried to call Fluffy to him. But her senses were in overdrive now. She knew something was definitely amiss now, and set off immediately on her preset routine to check the house for safety and thwart whatever evil the man had either intentionally or unintentionally brought with him.

An hour later, after an exhaustive but unproductive search, Fluffy reluctantly made her way back to the main room. She was tired and hungry from her exhaustive protective work, and went immediately to her food bowl, then curled up for a quick nap to recuperate before the next crisis.

Fluffy was suddenly awakened by a loud bang in the room. She immediately sprung into action, setting out on her patrol. As she left, she thought she heard the man apologize for dropping a book or something to the woman, but Fluffy was set into action already. What if that was just a coincidence and she ignored the possibility of an intruding force? Fluffy could not shirk her responsibilities.

She returned an hour and a half later after an even more thorough and comprehensive search. After grabbing another bite to eat, Fluffy decided the human woman might be in danger after two alarms so close together, so she curled up into the human woman’s lap ready to defend the poor, unsuspecting woman.

The woman must have realized how tired and sore Fluffy was from protecting her, because she began massaging her muscles. Maybe there was hope for the lazy human race after all. The massage felt good, and fluffy closed her eyes and concentrated on the protective noise that warned off evil spirits.

The darned massage had almost lulled Fluffy to sleep, but thankfully her fine-tuned senses had already kicked into high gear. It was subtle, but it was definitely there. She opened her eyes and raised her head, peeking around the room for the quiet disturbance. The human lady was still talking with the unfamiliar man, but it was a slight movement over near the curtains that really caught her eye.

She immediately jumped from the human lady’s lap and darted to the curtain area. Sitting patiently, she stared, her hear occasionally moving suddenly from side to side as she stood her ground against the danger she’d just discovered. This was it. The stand-off. Before Fluffy stood a minor demon, obviously ready to harm the human lady and possibly the unfamiliar man. This must have been what the foolish man had unsuspectingly dragged along with him.

Now, it was all up to Fluffy and Fluffy alone to save the world, or at least this section of it. She continued the stare-down, occasionally pouncing towards the demon. But this demon was quick. Perhaps the quickest yet. Fluffy wondered why the humans didn’t take cover, but then remembered their inferior intellect and set those thoughts aside. Her focus now had to be the demon.

It took about ten minutes before the demon realized it was overmatched and fled through the window. Fluffy was sure it was gone for good, but just to be sure, she climbed onto the window sill and watched the demon’s movements outside. Were it not for her maddening limitation to not walk through walls and windows as demons could, she’d have totally vanquished this one back to the horrid place it came from. As it were, she stood guard over the house knowing that a cat’s job is never done.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 11, 2005 5:38 pm

Cute story, blick. I'd like to see a little more action or perhaps to have the demon deactivated permanently, in some way. Like explode or something, from the force of Fluffy's mental powers/cat powers not understood by humans.
And why was the guy still there close to 3 hours. Unfamiliar visitors don't as a rule stay 3 hours??

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed May 11, 2005 5:44 pm

He was a new boyfriend that hadn't been over before...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 11, 2005 5:48 pm

Hmmmm....well, I still want to see the demon explode! :twisted:

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed May 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Maybe one day I'll write a sequel. Fluffy the Demon Killer!
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 11, 2005 5:55 pm

She could maybe belong to Buffy the Vampire Slayer??

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed May 11, 2005 5:55 pm

#-o
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed May 11, 2005 5:59 pm

No Buffy for Fluffy, the point is that cats are the only true heroes in our world. (Actually the point is I've always wondered just what it was that cats really saw to make them behave the way they do. I captured many of their quirks in the story, except the desire to not let you read anything and to attack your keyboard on your computer!)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Yeah, we had one who used to just stare and stare at a particular corner of the room and it really freaked my daughter out when she was a kid! She was afraid the cat was seeing "something" she couldn't.
Who knows? Maybe she was. Oh, well, at least we don't live there any more...even if IT still does. :D

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed May 11, 2005 6:22 pm

I used to have a cat that would "watch" something move around, which seemed to move in quick, sudden movements. I could never see anything, but it definitely saw something or needed therapy one.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri May 20, 2005 3:43 pm

Well, I've written in a lot of the challenges so far this month (though I've been eclipsed by Mlou), and am just a few words shy of my wordcount goal for the month. But it seems like a never ending battle to catch-up on my writing. I've still got 37 of the challenges that I want to write plus the list challenges I haven't attacked yet. It seems like a new challenge is added every day! :roll: :D
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu May 26, 2005 7:01 pm

(hopefully this cheers someone up tonight!)

Eight is Enough

Not everyone
Can make a claim
Of eight grandparents
With no divorce
Four for sure
One has to start
But double that
Is rare

A parent passes on
Leaving empty hearts
Until a new mom arrives
Which adds two more
To my little world
And brings my total to six

When one of them dies
But soon is replaced
A seventh I can now proclaim

A pseudo-adoption
By the nicest of nice
Makes the perfect
Of octal sets
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu May 26, 2005 7:55 pm

A formidable list of grandparents indeed! I only had 2 (Mom's parents were both dead before I was born Her nasty stepmother was still around but not within our family circle.) The two I had made up for it all!
How about if your #8 has a spouse of over 50 years? :D

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu May 26, 2005 7:58 pm

Well, I've never interacted with said #9 yet...

(But WOW! and congrats!) :D

Did my poem help you tonight, Grams?
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu May 26, 2005 8:02 pm

Sure! I bounce back pretty well. Have had a lot of experience doing so. :-D Already planning my next assault.
Well, #9's photo was posted last summer after our N.E. meet & greet...along with the infamous cat house, thanks to Hiss.
Last edited by Mlou on Thu May 26, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu May 26, 2005 8:03 pm

Yeah, but *I've* yet to interact with #9! I think my next vacation will have to take a day or two in NE...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu May 26, 2005 8:12 pm

He's a very quiet guy. He HAS to be around here! :-D

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”