Anblick's Quest for Immortality

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Maybe it would be better to hide in HIS closet and steal HIS ideas?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:17 pm

Sure, broadcast my secret plan to the world!
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:20 pm

Oh, and I'm actually starting to seriously try and get published! But only what is clearly my best story, "Sins of the Father"... Only I have NO CLUE WHERE to try and get it published, any ideas? http://www.bishopta.com/writing/Sins.htm
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:26 pm

A) take it down from your site... apparently some publishers consider it being posted on your personal site as "published" enough that you won't get paid well for it. Though I'd think a blurb from it would be good.

B) hit ralan's ( www.ralan.com I think) to hunt out an appropriate listing

C) you MAY, especially with your affinity for audiobooks, want to look at something like escape pod... which is a paying market that distributes short stories via audiobook podcast... not sure what is out there in that realm for non sci-fi... but I'd bet it's in the works somewhere.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:32 pm

A) take it down from your site... apparently some publishers consider it being posted on your personal site as "published" enough that you won't get paid well for it. Though I'd think a blurb from it would be good.

Well, once I start submitting it, sure! But until then, I'll leave it there for ideas!

And if I get published, I want it to first be a more legitimate/credited outlet... True, I'd ove to have an a-book of my story, but I want it to be of an already published work!

I'll check out ralan, too...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Well, I've been good at writing this year - unless the criteria is writing on one (or even a few) projects. I've been fairly scatterbrained on the projects instead of trying to focus on a small number. I think for February I'll try to limit myself to at most 3 plus "tags".
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:24 pm

I've recently had a lot of crap come into my life that's causing a tremendous amount of stress/torment. I'm not going to go into the details, but just say that it has drained my desire to write for the time being.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:25 pm

Wasn't there some famous line from a movie or something..."Don't let the b... get you down!" ?

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:23 pm

The latin for something similar to that is one of my favorite phrases that I have on the wall of my cubicle:

Illegitimus Noncarborundum (Don't let the B@$+@rd$ grind you down.)

I also have "Desistas Querilis" there (Quit your B!+ch!ng.)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Writing? What's that?
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:50 pm

jillstar wrote:Writing? What's that?

Unfortunately for me, it has been my emotional salvation for the last 15 years of my life, and is now seeming to abandon me when I need it more than ever...
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:36 pm

:|
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:14 pm

I've recently posted 25 opening sentences (or 2-3 sentences) for stories. Of these, 21 have been from my own personal list that I plan to write ultimately. I'm grateful that I've gotten responses, since the challenges (with the exception of the poetry challenges) have been notably ignored lately. The fact that I got as many responses as I did tells me there's something to my openings. I'd love to see more responses. Especially combining two or more.

I'd love to see more responses to ALL the challenges. Some people have their favorites. mae loves the weekend word lists. timberline prefers the fast fiction. It'd be great if everyone would try at least one challenge a month outside their normal ones. Not a tough price to pay. And no one is asking for a novel. Heck 200-750 words is usually more than enough. Also, if you like one challenge's rules, see if you can apply them to other ones. For instance: the Fast Fiction challenge rules can clearly apply to ALL the other challenges!

I should probably post this plea elsewhere, and maybe one of the supermods will reassign it for me, but the main purpose of this is to thank those of you that validated my openings (and don't worry, I do have a few more before I have to actually tax my brain for more SS ideas!).
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Hmmm... I must have missed those openings. Is there a link?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:49 pm

I've actually written 2 days in a row. Granted, I didn't sleep in between the two, but the two sessions were on different days. I completed List #77 (all words, in order).

I also recently completed another word list. And think both stories are half-way decent.

Yeah me! Starting to come out of it about a week before I start 3 weeks of vacation. Hopefully I'm turning a corner here!

(I wonder how many cliches I had in here that aren't in the cliche thread...)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:50 pm

Well, I did both of your #78, and my poetry challenges, so I'm satisfied. You haven't tried my challenges in a while, have you? :(

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:01 pm

Mlou wrote:Well, I did both of your #78, and my poetry challenges, so I'm satisfied. You haven't tried my challenges in a while, have you? :(

I've been so empty in my writing that even my comfort range of writing has felt uncomfortable, much less venturing into challenged poetry. Hopefully once I get the train completely back on it's tracks I can venture into that realm soon...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:52 pm

Interesting article that has me thinking of possible stories:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13070896/
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:24 am

.....if you can wrap your head around the scientific explanations.
Is this my reality or yours?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:33 am

What?! You didn't understand it?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Anblick wrote:I've actually written 2 days in a row. Granted, I didn't sleep in between the two, but the two sessions were on different days. I completed List #77 (all words, in order).

I also recently completed another word list. And think both stories are half-way decent.

Yeah me! Starting to come out of it about a week before I start 3 weeks of vacation. Hopefully I'm turning a corner here!

(I wonder how many cliches I had in here that aren't in the cliche thread...)

I guess my story sucked since no one commented on it...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:29 pm

I recently had a major set-back, as I accidentally overwrote my "idea" file with an older version and then backed it up over my back-up before I noticed the wrong one was available to me. My only current hope is a 2 month old print-out of the paper. Still typing up the 16+ pages not in the 2 year older version...

This had what WAS to be the next 3 months worth of all challenges (PP and SS) along with lots of other critical personal story ideas.

I have through "XYZ" for the weekend list still available as I never put the word lists into my idea file, just write them into a notebook.

So I apologize if the challenges are slow over the last few and next few weeks...
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:38 pm

Stupid technology!!!
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:31 pm

My biggest issue now is that I have too many ideas and no writing to back any of them up...

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”